Nexus 7 Backup Unrooted

losl

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
I connect N7 to my PC using the stock usb cable and copy all the content in the storage (SD card) to the pc hard drive.

This may be a bit stupid !!

regards !!

SLo

silverthornne

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
All the backup apps I've seen require root. Anyway, doesn't the backup to Google server option help here? I've not had to restore from it, so I don't know...

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

capslock118

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
... Anyway, doesn't the backup to Google server option help here? I've not had to restore from it, so I don't know...

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

I "believe" that the google backup service only backs-up google related data. This includes your google play download/install/uninstall history so it knows what account to backup and apps to re download in the event of a restore but also includes your contacts, calendar, etc.

That's my observation from reflashing my phone multiple times with a jellybean rom.

Mac.World

ΣΛΤ ΜΣ
May 3, 2012
Visit site
I "believe" that the google backup service only backs-up google related data. This includes your google play download/install/uninstall history so it knows what account to backup and apps to re download in the event of a restore but also includes your contacts, calendar, etc.

That's my observation from reflashing my phone multiple times with a jellybean rom.

This is correct.

You have to root in order to get a Nandroid backup.

beaverpirate

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
I just want my apps and their data backed up, and have a file manager... is there some kind of hidden directory or something you can only get to if you root? Why can't I just copy the files?

wunderbar

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
carbon backup can do it without root.

You do need an app on a computer to enable it to work first, but it will help you with setting that up. I use carbon and it works like a charm.

And as for why you can't back up apps without root, it is to combat piracy. If you could just copy apps off of your tablet that easily there'd be nothing stopping anyone from getting an app, then putting it on the internet for anyone to download and put on a tablet.

Personally I don't care about backing up the apps themselves, but really wish google would provide a way to backup app data/settings. That would eliminate 80% of people's needs for using Carbon or rooting and getting Titanium, etc.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
You do need an app on a computer to enable it to work first, but it will help you with setting that up. I use carbon and it works like a charm.

And as for why you can't back up apps without root, it is to combat piracy. If you could just copy apps off of your tablet that easily there'd be nothing stopping anyone from getting an app, then putting it on the internet for anyone to download and put on a tablet.

Personally I don't care about backing up the apps themselves, but really wish google would provide a way to backup app data/settings. That would eliminate 80% of people's needs for using Carbon or rooting and getting Titanium, etc.

well, you got everything right except "why you can't back up apps without root, it is to combat piracy". piracy is the least concern in regards to this. The restriction is there for security reason.
if one app could read other apps data like whats happening in data backup thats a security issue. imagine a virus app reading your bank information from your bank app

wunderbar

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
apps in android can talk to each other very easily anyway. Malware already exists for android devices can can pull personal data out, and you don't have to be rooted for that to happen.

bigtroutz

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
Using encrypted wired LAN connected PCs for banking is problematic.

Using unencrypted wired LAN connected PCs even HTTPS for banking is a bad idea.

Using WiFi connected PCs / Tablets /etc for banking is STUPID. Period.

ANY data on the internet or contained on an internet connected device must be considered PUBLIC for all purposes.

mr_nobody

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site

Ummm, in fact you can backup apps without root using any decent file manager like es file explorer. It has a backup app option, works just fine unrooted. What you can't back up are app _settings_.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roshanchoudhary