How to read a book from public labrary

patapouf7

Aug 29, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

I have downloaded a book from a bublic labrary. For read it i need to authorize my computer with Adobe Digital Edition. When my computer is authorized, it's possible to read the book on my computer. Accordind to the documentation (on Adobe web site) it's possible to authorize 6 devices for read my book. I tried to authorize my sony reader and it work correctly. It's possible to transfert the book and read it on this device.

I tried to authorize my Nexus 7 on the same way and use a book reader who support DRM like Aldiko but without success.

Unfortunately Adobe Digital Edition don't recognize my Nexus 7 and did not authorize it. Because that, it's impossible to transfert and read my book.

Does anyone know a way to force Adobe Digital Edition to recognize my Nexus 7 and read my book on my tablet?

thank you

anon(924308)

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Dont know if this will help, but there's an app called Overdrive Media which allows you to read content from libraries that allow it to. Maybe check and see if yours does?

bjadams44

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
I have tried borrowing library books with that system on my home computers and found it so daunting that I realized publishers have throttled the system to make it unattractive to borrowers. Difficult system short borrow times and no renewals all make for problems. Sorry I can't help with the nexus settings.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Dont know if this will help, but there's an app called Overdrive Media which allows you to read content from libraries that allow it to. Maybe check and see if yours does?

My library also uses Overdrive and I found it very simple to do on my Nexus. I simply had to associate my library card number and library branch to Overdrive, then associate Overdrive to my Amazon account. Checked out a book, told Amazon to send it to my Nexus, and Bob's your uncle I was reading in 5 minutes.

There were more moving parts than I'd like, but now that I've done it once it's pretty easy.

Unfortunately, I also learned that the publishers are now putting limits on the number of times a digital edition may be signed out (and I don't mean simultaneous signouts - a single digital copy self-destructs after something like 25 or 30 checkouts, which supposedly mimics a paper book wearing out and needing to be replaced. After that, the library must purchase a new license).

So the supply of books available keeps dwindling as the library is faced with either re-buying the same electronic copy for a LOT more than the paper edition only to have to buy it again next year, or buying a paper copy that can remain in the collection for decades.

dparrothead1

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I use Overdrive Media. You can check out from the library straight to your N7. You really don't have to tie in to an Amazon account. You will, however, have to sign in to your ADE account (only once). When you check out a book, be sure to look closely at the options to insure you are not checking out a Kindle edition.

This way is much, much easier than having to put it on your PC and then transfering to your device.

Enjoy.

ocostich

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
I have tried borrowing library books with that system on my home computers and found it so daunting that I realized publishers have throttled the system to make it unattractive to borrowers. Difficult system short borrow times and no renewals all make for problems. Sorry I can't help with the nexus settings.

How have they throttled the system? It's pretty straightforward. It's your library that decides how hard to make it. It's actually pretty straightforward in Overdrive. Search for what you what, select it, check out. Overdrive pits eBooks in it's reader. I prefer to use the Kindle app for those. The only hassle is Kindle books that must be transferred by USB. The trick there is to download the book to your computer and copy it to the Kindle folder on the Nexus7. Look in the Kindle app under downloaded books. Click and it will tell you to delete and look in archives and redownload, Works fine. That one you can blame of the publisher.

As for renewals, who can't read a book in three weeks. You can always put it back in your list of requests and the reader will keep your place and all notes.

AW2212

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site
What is the ADE account, please?
I'm new, my library has just started offering e-books for loan and say they will not download to a Kindle. I've been able to read one on my PC (using Adobe Digital Reader), but can't see any file in my Download folder. I asked about my Nexus - they haven't answered that question yet.

mr_nobody

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
ADE = Adobe Digital Editions. But the account is actually called an adobe ID and you can sign up for one at adobe.com.

[edit]: Oh, if you've already managed to read one of the books on your computer, then you must already have an adode id. To read (I'm assuming your library uses overdrive) on your nexus, you need to install an app from google play called overdrive media console.

PlanetPluto7

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
The publishers are working ward to make reading library books as difficult as possible. The libraries are working hard to let you read as electronic reading is soon to have a 40% market share. Most libraries are going with Overdrive and have Overdrive tech support on speed-dial. Try working with the library. Anything that expands the device supported list will be welcome.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dawsonnathalie