Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mr_nobody
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Flixster/Ultraviolet

Hi Everyone

I'm keen to get some movies on my Nexus that won't disappear after a month like the rental ones so I've been looking at Ultraviolet and this seems to fit the bill.

Is there an official app or do people just use Flixster and have you tried it in the UK?

Thanks in advance.

Global Posts
    378 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS

Default Re: Flixster/Ultraviolet

there's no ultraviolet app..i just use flixster to watch my movies...i used in the usa not uk...hopefully this helps

Wouldnt you have to buy the ultraviolet movies to keep it always there??

So yes, in google play buy it rather than renting and it will be there for ever.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

I'm happy to buy the triple play dvds with the Ultraviolet copy but just wanted to know whether there were any issues with using Flixster for this in the UK.

Buying movies on Google Play in the UK isn't possible at the moment, at least it's not an option that I've seen yet and I've been looking quite a bit.

Thanks anyway, think I'll just bite the bullet and try it out.

but you can rent movies in UK?
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Yeah, I can rent them. I just don't like having to pay 3.50 to watch a film once, I'd prefer to have a catologue. Anyway, I've bought some Ultraviolet films on Amazon so will wait and see how well they do.

Jimbo, not sure if Walmart does this in the UK, or even if there is Walmart in the UK but the VUDU service allows you to pay Walmart $2 for the rights to the digital version of some movies. In my experience, when you get the digital copy from VUDU, your flixster account will also have the rights to play those movies. I have created a pretty decent catalog of digital movies using this method. Hope this helps.

Just bought the Bourne Legacy BD limited edition steelbook precisely because in addition to the disc, it had a digital copy (via iTunes) for my PC, and a UV copy which I thought I could put on my N7. Let me be upfront and say I loathe Apple. Nevertheless, fair do's, within 5 minutes of Postman Pat arriving with my Amazon box I was downloading the movie from iTunes painlessly.

On to the UV. I don't know how it works in the US. Over here the retrieval link takes you to Flixster. Create an account. Then go to UltraViolet. Create another account. Then link one to the other. Then get a retrieval page ("sequence shortened with some steps omitted" - I kid you not) but the code - acceptable in iTunes - is rejected.

Create a ticket. After a day Flixster pass it to UV. After 2 more days UV ask me to scan the insert showing the code. No apology. I scan the box, the insert, and relevant bits of Amazon's invoice.

I politely ask for access that day, as a significant element of the purchase decision is the UV copy which I've already been waiting 3 days for. I mark it urgent.

Do I get anything back?

No.

Do, you know, sometimes all this p*ssing about we have to do, I almost feel that giving up the struggle and going to the White Side. They may have it locked down tighter than a nat's ringpiece, but on this occasion "it just worked".

In future, if it says UV on it, I'll ignore it. Life's too short.

I've copied the .m4v file and according to Wiki, may be able to re-name it .mp4 and move the re-named copy over to my N7, but I'm not holding my breath as Properties shows the original as protected.

In future I'll just rent holiday films from Google.

Jimbo, how did you get on with UV?
    Mike

UK

2012 Nexus 7 on 4.4
    2013 Nexus 4 on 4.4
    2013 Chromecast

I assume when you buy a movie with these options, you can take the ultraviolet code and use it on the ultraviolet web page. Then of course it shows up on flixster...

That may well be the theory. After jumping through hoops, my code was rejected anyway.
    Mike

UK

2012 Nexus 7 on 4.4
    2013 Nexus 4 on 4.4
    2013 Chromecast

Quote Originally Posted by Minkey1 View Post
    [ludicrously bad user experience snipped]
    As long as the movie studios are going to act like idiots make honest users go insane trying to use the content they are entitled to use, there will be piracy.
    Minkey1 likes this.

I've got an interesting update to this thread even though it's pretty old and out of date.

I have never bothered with the digital copy on my blu rays as it's always been such a pain to use. Previously I had to install a load of bloatware on my PC, enter the code, copy to my PC then copy to my device incredibly slowly. A terrible experience.

I thought I'd give it another go with The Heat though (as the disc doesn't actually play in my blu ray player and I'm on a plane tonight).

I went to foxredeem.com, entered my code and was asked what I wanted to do with it. I could add it to ultraviolet or redeem it using Google Play!!!!!

I clicked Google Play and I got the full HD version of The Heat (that costs 10) in my Google Play library. Forever!

I can watch it on my Google TV, watch it in my browser, stream it to my Nexuses or download.

What a brilliant system. I wish all the studios did this!

After this I looked at my other discs and didn't find any others that work this way. Only Fox titles still work in the crappy way. Gravity and Argo use Ultraviolet and Flixster (which is nearly as good but I can't watch Flixster on my Google TV).