8GB or 16GB?

F0REVERY0UNG-

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
Hello, i'm new to the forum, but i've been lurking for a few days now. lol

I saw a commercial for the Nexus 7 while watching the Olympics a couple of months ago and it intrigued me.
At the time I was planning on buying a 7-imch tablet and the tablet that I had my eye on was the Kindle Fire.
After I saw the Nexus 7 commercial I immediately got on my laptop and googled/youtubed it to get more info.
After reading up on it, i've decided on the Nexus 7, it was really a no brainer.

My last question is: Would the 8 gig or the 16 gig be right for me?
I'm a college student, so I would prefer not to spend the extra $50 if I don't have to, but I will if I absolutely have to.

Here's what I plan to do with the Tablet:

I'll be using it to browse the web/watch youtube videos.
I like to read books, so i'll probably have up to 50 on it.
I also like to play simple games like Temple Run, Fruit Ninja, Angry Birds, Bejewled, and that sort of stuff. None of those huge games.
I'll have Netflix, Spotify, Last.Fm, Twitter, and Tumblr apps
I won't have any music on it because I use Spotify, Last.Fm, and I have a 32 Gig iPod Touch (I know don't jump on me lol)
I watch all my movies and TV shows on Netflix or on my laptop, so no videos on it.

So now that i've told you my life story; What do you guys think, 8 or 16 gigs?
I really hope I haven't annoyed anyone with this post, but this will be my first android device, so I need some help.

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
If you can squeeze out another 50 bucks, go for the 16GB. Just because you don't need it now, doesn't mean you won't sometime down the road. From your use, it sounds like you would be OK with an 8GB though.

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
Hello, i'm new to the forum, but i've been lurking for a few days now. lol

I saw a commercial for the Nexus 7 while watching the Olympics a couple of months ago and it intrigued me.
At the time I was planning on buying a 7-imch tablet and the tablet that I had my eye on was the Kindle Fire.
After I saw the Nexus 7 commercial I immediately got on my laptop and googled/youtubed it to get more info.
After reading up on it, i've decided on the Nexus 7, it was really a no brainer.

My last question is: Would the 8 gig or the 16 gig be right for me?
I'm a college student, so I would prefer not to spend the extra $50 if I don't have to, but I will if I absolutely have to.

Here's what I plan to do with the Tablet:

I'll be using it to browse the web/watch youtube videos.
I like to read books, so i'll probably have up to 50 on it.
I also like to play simple games like Temple Run, Fruit Ninja, Angry Birds, Bejewled, and that sort of stuff. None of those huge games.
I'll have Netflix, Spotify, Last.Fm, Twitter, and Tumblr apps
I won't have any music on it because I use Spotify, Last.Fm, and I have a 32 Gig iPod Touch (I know don't jump on me lol)
I watch all my movies and TV shows on Netflix or on my laptop, so no videos on it.

So now that i've told you my life story; What do you guys think, 8 or 16 gigs?
I really hope I haven't annoyed anyone with this post, but this will be my first android device, so I need some help.

Buy the 8 GB. If you need more space you can use USB OTG.

Sent from my One X using Android Central Forums

NotJustAPhone

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Based on your description, the 8 gig model will likely serve your needs. That said, as you start using your device you will find more ways to use it and it is likely that you will want extra space.

Enjoy. :)

Sent from my Thunderbolt

anon(924308)

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
More "bang for your buck" with the 8gb. With all the apps ill ever need (no 2gb gaming apps) and 5gb of music, I've just barely hit 8gb, and that's including all the preprogrammed stuff.

I got the 16gb model, but I'm a data hoarder and like having the space if I ever need it. Just remember that the advertised gb never equals actual data space, so you'd probably have 6gb actual space with an 8gb model. I figure $50 is like the equivalent of a new pair of pants or something, I can justify the extra cost since I use this thing so much.

There are a plethora of options for free cloud storage, if you have thousands of ebooks or something. Micro USB ports are pretty weak, you could probably access a USB stick (they have like 32gb models) but idk about a full-on external, hard drive.

I will say that it is a bit pointless to walk around with an ipod AND a small tablet, if you can consolidate. After having two 32gb ipod videos stolen (those were the best lol) I consolidated my music onto a puny 8gb I touch, and from there I just transferred music onto the Nexus. Got rid of songs/albums I was highly unlikely to listen to, and that was that.

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
More "bang for your buck" with the 8gb. With all the apps ill ever need (no 2gb gaming apps) and 5gb of music, I've just barely hit 8gb, and that's including all the preprogrammed stuff.

I got the 16gb model, but I'm a data hoarder and like having the space if I ever need it. Just remember that the advertised gb never equals actual data space, so you'd probably have 6gb actual space with an 8gb model. I figure $50 is like the equivalent of a new pair of pants or something, I can justify the extra cost since I use this thing so much.

There are a plethora of options for free cloud storage, if you have thousands of ebooks or something. Micro USB ports are pretty weak, you could probably access a USB stick (they have like 32gb models) but idk about a full-on external, hard drive.

I will say that it is a bit pointless to walk around with an ipod AND a small tablet, if you can consolidate. After having two 32gb ipod videos stolen (those were the best lol) I consolidated my music onto a puny 8gb I touch, and from there I just transferred music onto the Nexus. Got rid of songs/albums I was highly unlikely to listen to, and that was that.

I actually use a 256 GB flash drive with my N7.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

F0REVERY0UNG-

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
I was gonna go ahead with the 8 GB, but I talked to my brother about it and he gave me 60 bucks.
I'm going to go for the 16 GB
Thanks for answering my question, and not being rude. lol

multo

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
Good luck on the purchase. Was in the same dilemma as you are. Never really needed a large storage and if I did, there's usb otg. But the 50 bucks difference simply made it worthwhile to get twice the capacity. Had the price been +100usd, I'd stick with the 8gb. I'm loving the 16gb so far

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay