Finding Nexus 7 serial number

Videofish

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
My Nexus 7 has stopped working - no lights and not a flicker on the screen. I have tried different chargers with no success.

I have tried to return it to Asus by they require the serial number and I no longer have to box.

Does anyone have any idea where I might find it? I've looked to see if its logged in my GooglePlay account but have had no joy.

Thanks

jdauria

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
My Nexus 7 has stopped working - no lights and not a flicker on the screen. I have tried different chargers with no success.

I have tried to return it to Asus by they require the serial number and I no longer have to box.

Does anyone have any idea where I might find it? I've looked to see if its logged in my GooglePlay account but have had no joy.

Thanks

Sorry to hear about your problems with the N7.

Where did you purchase the N7? If it was through Google Play did you check your email confirmation? Not having the box is a bummer I usually keep all my boxes for anything electronic for situations like these.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
yes to saving boxes, but I also take close up photos of the seria lnumber labels on boxes of important equipment

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
Places to find it:

1. On the box it came in
2. Take off the back (it's a pain in the butt to do this) and look inside. To take it off, you'll need either finger nails or a very thin flathead screwdriver to wedge in there.

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
The settings, box, and sticker are less than desirable measures to track this information. At my office, we recently purchased 4 of these tablets, which I have fallen in love with. If something happens to the screen, you can't access that info via settings. The sticker is bound to come off since I already notice it lifting (though a case would probably prolong it's life indefinitely). I've never trusted record keeping to be very accurate so even if I keep the box and have it noted that So-and-So is in possession of it, there would be no way to verify (assuming screen is destroyed) other than prying off the back. I had this complaint about the Droid Razr Maxx prior to seeing that the IMEI info is hidden in a nice little drawer on the side of the phone. I appreciate the iPad having that info seared into the back of it

tabletnovice

Sep 4, 2012
Visit site
Did you save the warranty pamphlet that came with the Nexus 7? The serial number is on a sticker on the second page that is entitled "Asus Warranty Information Form."

I scan the warranty, serial number and purchase receipt whenever I buy new items, and upload the files to Google Drive.

As an aside, you'll need a copy of the warranty if you ever have to make a claim under the free extended warranty that may be available when you charge the full price of an item with a credit card. The hard drive on my notebook recently failed 14 months after purchase. Visa reimbursed me for the new hard drive and installation.

jespears64

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
I just got a Nexus 7 and need the serial number to register the device with Customs and Border Control for an upcoming trip out of the country.

The exterior of my device has a sticker that says: "SN" with a number.
However, when I go to Settings--> about tablet --> Status, it says: "Serial #" with a different number.

Any idea which is the correct one? What if my device stops working and the internal serial # is no longer accessible? Any advise is welcomed.

Thanks!

s13n

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
just to let everyone know ,

if you want to find your serial number
go to Settings then to About tablet then click Status
and you'll find it there
it will be the same one as on the box :)

plumberdv

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site

and you'll find it there

Just for the heck of it, I did that and the number there is totally different than the one on the sticker (next to charging port) and the one on the box. The one on the sticker and on the box match.

s13n

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
that's weird because the serial number on my nexus matches the one on my box
i know it shouldn't make a difference but 'mi from the UK maybe that's why and i didn't get any sticker on my nexus

jpash549

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
Take screen shots while it is working and put them in Box or on a flash drive.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

s13n

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
sorry my mistake i just saw the sticker and it matches the SSN serial on the box and the serial number on the nexus 7 matches the CSSN serial
they both match the serial number on the box it just depend which one they are wanting to use.

jimbarr

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
Next time, consider keeping the box.

You obviously have to have the room, but I HIGHLY suggest you ALWAYS keep boxes for devices like this. Just keep 'em in a closet or an attic. I tend to try to sell off my old and unused gadgets on ebay, and you'd be amazed how well they can sell if you simply include the original packaging. Buyers appreciate it, the items ship better, and they may contain information such as what you are looking for that you can always refer back to as needed.

Johdan

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
I tried register my product on asus.com with the S/N from the back of the device: C90KB...... That didnt work. Not recognized as a valid S/N. I then checked S/N under Settings: 015d2578... that worked fine?!
Oki, so I sent a question that I have about my device to tech support. The reply was that this isnt a valid S/N ... ?? Oki, so one S/N is recognized by the registration form on asus.com, but the other one is recognized by the support... Confusing having two different S/N. Also, why havnt they made asus.com registration page Android friendly? Its not possible to register the device from the Nexus 7, only from a computer. (also tried from my iPad, didnt work).
I managed to click Next so the purchase date is now incorrect and I can change it, I dont find my registered devices. It all feels a bit amateur when it comes to Asus.

mkhall

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I managed to click Next so the purchase date is now incorrect and I can change it, I dont find my registered devices. It all feels a bit amateur when it comes to Asus.

I was a bit surprised when I got the RMA email from ASUS and it included lots of "click here" text, but none of it was an actual link. I finally gave up and struggled through the site to find the information. Seems weird that there's so little work put into their support system.

Conrad Gray

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site

and you'll find it there

Wrong. The serious number in my status menu is different than the box # and will not work when attempting to register the device for a future repair.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463