Video Converter for Nexus 7

nobodyisherenow

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Hey all,
So I have a bunch of shows that are .mkv format and are kind of big (12 gigs). I was wondering if anyone uses a particular video converter to bring the size down so it won't take up so much space on the nexus 7. If so, what do you use to "crop" the size down to make it watchable and manageable on the nexus 7?

daniel2744

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
i use handbrake. it lets you customize the video and audio quality to a manageable size. for example, i have been re-encoding my blu-rays from mkv which are about 16-30 gbs to about 3.3 gb by using handbrake and having video set at 2900kbps and video resolution at 1280x720 for my nexus 7 but that same size also works with my galaxy nexus. i hope this helps. ps. handbrake kinda takes along time to convert espacially if you have and long movie and/or two-pass enabled however its worth it in the end.

odd1ne

May 31, 2012
Visit site
i use handbrake. it lets you customize the video and audio quality to a manageable size. for example, i have been re-encoding my blu-rays from mkv which are about 16-30 gbs to about 3.3 gb by using handbrake and having video set at 2900kbps and video resolution at 1280x720 for my nexus 7 but that same size also works with my galaxy nexus. i hope this helps. ps. handbrake kinda takes along time to convert espacially if you have and long movie and/or two-pass enabled however its worth it in the end.

I second that real easy to use and quality still stays pretty high. Do it on a night then on the morning your ready.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

daniel2744

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I second that real easy to use and quality still stays pretty high. Do it on a night then on the morning your ready.

Yeah I second that!!! Lol seriously I remember going to sleep around 1230a and I woke at 8a and went to go check and it wasn't done lol. A 2.3-2.5 hr movie with second pass will take a long time but I know it will be good

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

nobodyisherenow

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
just tried handbrake. works really well. just set it on android high and let it convert all my video files. it was pretty good for me. i converted 12 anime episodes in 720p in about 2 hours or so. i'm glad the subtitles didn't get lost in the conversion. thanks again!

JimboDeany

Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
What ripping software would people recommend so that I can get some files to convert? I tried Handbrake ripping direct from a DVD to Mp4 but it gave me files that I can't play.

Sgolden5

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
What ripping software would people recommend so that I can get some files to convert? I tried Handbrake ripping direct from a DVD to Mp4 but it gave me files that I can't play.

Maybe you DVD are copy-protected. as far as i know, Handbrake can't rip copy protected DVDs without a third-party add-on. You can get a professional DVD ripper to get your work done.

There are many programs out there that allow you to make copies of your DVDs and let you watch them the way you want to view them. You can try pavtube DVD ripper and Aimersoft DVD ripper, both of them have a sale.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I have Tunebite from Audials, which works great. It's not free, but none of the good ones are.

jssqmaty

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Many users like playing MKV movies. However, almost android tablets don't support the native .mkv format. As far as I know, we can use some video players to re-encode and recognise it to play. Or we can get a video convert tool to change MKV to H.264 MP4 for copying to Nexus 7.

bigtroutz

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
there are plenty of excellent N7 / Android videoplayer apps capable of displaying ANY format like MXplayer, BSplayer, Dice Player etc. If you want more information about how to rip or compress video formats for free, you can read up on it at the link below. I especially like FreeMake for capturing on-line video & conversion.

Best Free DVD Ripper