Is the wonky scrolling inertia a problem all Nexus 7s have? (And other issues)

severinj

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I notice while reading pages that my scrolling is NOT consistent. Sometimes it scrolls the way my phone does, but sometimes it just barely drags a bit and stops. I have googled it a bunch of times but I don't see many people talking about this... so I'm not sure if it's a hardware problem or a software problem that people just seem to not mind.

Another issue I have been getting once in a while is when I look over forums on the tablet i will randomly see a single black line flash across the screen for a very short time. It doesn't happen too often but I get a bad feeling about it and I know it shouldn't be doing that.

Last problem I have is using an app, then going back to the home screen. Sometimes when I attempt to hit an icon or the app drawer I won't get any feedback. I KNOW I touched it, but the tablet will sit there like I didn't press anything. Is this just the software not catching up, or is it possible that I have a really particular dead spot that I have a hard time replicating?

Please give me any feedback you all might have. I spent close to $300 on the 16gb at Wal Mart with the 2yr warranty and I really don't feel good about my purchase. Is this just something people are seeing and are dealing with or do I definitely have a faulty nexus 7?

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
inertia on the n7 is very sluggish compared to my Bionic. by a MILE. I prefer the lightning fast scrolling of my phone.

severinj

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I actually have only used 800-850mb so far. It's got a ridiculous amount of storage left.

You really don't have any issue when you're scrolling up and down on websites? I seem to have it much more while scrolling down than I do with scrolling up. Maybe it has something to do with the page not being fully rendered? I honestly don't know what it might be but I have used both Chrome and Dolphin and I have the same issue on both and some other apps such as Twitter.

Have neither of you seen the black line flash across the screen? This one definitely seems like a defective screen issue but I'm just trying to be sure about these things. I have none of the glass lifting or any of the other problems that people are complaining about a lot, just these particular ones.

TJH132

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I've experienced each of the symptoms you describe here. I believe it to be Jelly Bean problems (problems seems harsh since it is very fleeting). Reboot fixes the non-responsive touch. Scrolling inertia seems to be app specific. Black line seemed to appear after I installed Ultimate Rotate, but not positive. Doesn't happen enough to give up the app, if it is the culprit.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

jjhoneck

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
None of the three N7 owners/users in my family have noticed these quirks. I've seen a black line once, but it flashed by so fast I wasn't sure if it was my vision, or the N7.

Sent from my Nexus 7

lizards4444

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
If u have the walmart extended warenty, get a new one, that is, if u can save the majority of ur stuff on the cloud

From my thumbs to your screen courtesy of tapatalk

retsaw

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
I can't say I've noticed the first issue, but I haven't any other Android devices to compare it with.

The second, I get that black line occasionally, from other posts on this forum referring to it I am pretty sure is a software issue, just that because it only appears for such a short amount of time and not very often many people don't notice it, or think they imagined it.

I haven't noticed the third problem you have. There are some N7s that have a problem with the touchscreen after playing certain games for a while which go away if the screen is turned off and on again, I think that is a hardware issue as I've never seen it even with heavy usage, but I'm not sure if that is the same issue you're seeing. Perhaps try testing the touch input (especially after you notice this problem) with an app. I use an app called Display Tester for this, but there are no doubt other apps that could do the job.

You may want to try a factory reset to see if that clears up the first and third issue (I doubt it will for the second one).

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Nychotxxx

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I'd return it. I've never seen those issues on mine. Never a black line and it loads and scrolls as fast or faster than my ipad3

severinj

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
So I checked my box today and I see I have a c80 unit. Was hoping the problems would mostly be c60 and then getting a newer unit would fix it.

I have been using the developer option to show my button taps and I feel like it's helped a bit just to see how the tablet reacts.

Yesterday I had left chrome open for a long period of time with a couple tabs open and my screen responsiveness went down massively. I could visibly see the touch sensor trying to catch up with my swipes/drags.

I'm taking it back this week for a replacement. Hopefully I don't get some other problems with the new one.

Also I noticed the screen flickering really bad with the wells fargo app but that's probably because the wells fargo app is a load of bad coding. I actually just saw another black bar while typing this post. :-(

Mongooze2

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
The only one I've noticed is the black line. It crops up very rarely though, maybe once every few days, so it hasn't bothered me. It happens very quickly too. It basically just flashes very briefly. I'm not sure what the cause would be I wonder if it's a specific app or if it's the screen itself.

Geolog1009

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Have exactly the same issue with "long" swipes when scrolling down a webpage. I think its a software issue. Surprised that nobody posted their experience.

Ravynmagi

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I've gone through 5 Nexus 7 tablets because of the loose left screen issue (my 5th one is perfect by the way). And I can say I've seen all 3 of these issues with all 5 of my tablets.

The scrolling issue isn't lag, but it's as Dave said, something seems off with the inertia. I give a page a good flick and expect it to scroll for a bit, but instead I get a slower shorter scroll that what it feels like I should. It's kinda minor, just feels a bit off. And being an iPad owner, Apple does this so well, I guess I notice it more when it's not normal.

In portrait mode I notice a single row of horizontal lines flicker. It's very brief, very easy to miss. But notice it maybe once a day. And it's not the same row each time, it varies in location, though it generally seems to happen in the middle area of the screen or at least that is only where I see it since that is where my eyeballs are usually at. At first I was worried something might be wrong with the screen, but since this has happened on all the Nexus 7s I've had, I think it's normal now.

And about the unresponsive screen after going back home from an app. I'm less certain of this issue. I know it's happened to me, but I'm never sure if it's me or the tablet that was at fault. Haven't really scrutinized the issue since it's infrequent.

anon(730457)

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
I know the inertia loss is a result of Google's changes to Ice Cream Sandwich and then Jelly Bean unfortunately. Froyo and Gingerbread were really fast, almost to a fault, but Ice Cream Sandwich slowed it down to be more like the iPhone (though not as bad; Apple's going to give me scrolling arthritis), and Jelly Bean is worse. However, I've also noticed that on my Nexus 7, flicking (quick swipe) inconsistently hardly does anything, sometimes stopping dead after I release my finger, and that when I swipe it doesn't always go the speed of my finger unless I hold it down longer. The longer I hold it down, the more often it goes the speed I swipe, making me feel like a little kid trying to get a toy to work. I don't want to have to be "careful" when doing something as common as swiping.

I haven't tested the Galaxy Nexus with Jelly Bean or the Nexus 4, so I can't tell if the problem with the flicking and the inconsistent swipe speed is Jelly Bean or the Nexus 7. I do know it's frustrating compared to my Galaxy Tab 7", which is still Gingerbread. I love having a speedy tablet now, but this scrolling thing is about as frustrating as having an old wheezing horse of a tablet.

anon(730457)

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
Further playing with this, I've noticed the problem only in certain apps, such as Chrome. Scrolling SUCKS in Chrome, but not in Android's settings menus. It's as responsive as it gets there. Pulse has the same issues as Chrome, though it's not as bad. Very bizarre behavior here. I fully put the blame on Google, though there's a slight chance that the Nexus is choking based on heavy processing from the app. Either way, this is Google's flagship tablet and they should have worked out kinks like these before shipping.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12