Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Eduardo06sp
  • 2 Post By SandersJC1964
  • 1 Post By still1
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default .Questions For College Student. (Considering Buying This)

I recently figured out that ebooks are a lot cheaper than paperback books so I decided to just download books from now on. Bringing my laptop to class is so annoying because it doesn't fit on the desk. I actually like the size of this device and have heard good things about it and I am considering buying it. However, I have several questions for anyone that uses this. #1. What app does it use to run ebooks? I currently use Nook Study on my laptop and I even tried using Nook on my Samsung Galaxy S3 but it would not load the textbook I bought. Will this device be able to load books without a problem or are there restrictions? #2. I've read a lot of negative reviews on the device on how it breaks down and comes apart after a short time. Is this true? If so, has it been fixed? I don't want to spend my money on this and have it break down after a short time. #3. Lastly, is there anything I should know about the tablet before buying it? Im only really buying it for reading and i've read reviews that it is the best tablet out there. I don't want to buy a Nook or Kindle because I heard that this tablet is better. Once again I am a college student and want this for ebooks. My Samsung Galaxy S3 is not able to load certain books and I need to know if this device has the same issue. It will be pointless to buy a device for ebooks and it does not load the ebooks I need. Thank you for any responses.

Default Re: .Questions For College Student. (Considering Buying This)

First off, I've had this tablet for a little more than a month now. Nothing wrong, maybe I'm just lucky. Second, the Nook app is supported, but I don't use that anyways.

The default book reader is Google Play Books. If you get that, you can keep all your books across all your devices, if they're supported of course. The same applies for the apps you buy. For school, this would be good, I believe, unless you need to stream content from the web, tethering would work.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    DeathStroke25 likes this.

Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    ROM
    Full Stock

My own experience is that this is an excellent reading device. Google Play Books is the native book reading app loaded on the device, and it will only read books that you purchase through the Play Store. However, I also have both the Nook app and Kindle app installed, and thus far I have not run into any issues downloading any books/magazines that I have purchased through them. The one issue you could have, depending on how much you download, is space. You would probably be well served to go ahead and spend the extra $50 on the 16GB version. As far as the build issues, yes there are many reporting problems with screen lift, hot or dead pixels, light bleed, etc. I have not had any of these issues on mine (C7), knock wood. All in all, yes, I would recommend this as a viable option for what you are wanting.

1. Nook app is there in play store and can be used to read all books. Kindle can also read a lot of format.
    additionally there are ton of other apps to read on nexus. so books reading are never a problem.

2. the negative review you have heard are on the older batch of shipment but the recent ones google has fixed all those issues.

3. You wouldn't regret buying Nexus 7
    DeathStroke25 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by still1 View Post

the negative review you have heard are on the older batch of shipment but the recent ones google has fixed all those issues.
    I ordered mine on Sept 5th from Google. (have not yet received it) Do I still need to be worried about these issues, or should I be safe? By what date were we starting to see an improvement in quality?

Thanks,
    Glen
    FocusOnNewfoundland.com

Quote Originally Posted by camperbc View Post
    I ordered mine on Sept 5th from Google. (have not yet received it) Do I still need to be worried about these issues, or should I be safe? By what date were we starting to see an improvement in quality?

Thanks,
    Glen
    FocusOnNewfoundland.com
    They fixed it on shipment after Aug 10-12th. at least that's what the customer support said.
    You should be fine.

Depending on the popularity of the course, used books tend to be significantly cheaper than ebooks or new hardcopies. Because I use this for note taking, it's easier to just have a hard copy anyway.

I'm using this thing for my last semester of college, so it goes with me pretty much everywhere. Paired with my cheapo $10 keyboard case, it's great for note taking, web browsing, downloading documents, etc. Pretty much anything your typical day on campus would demand. Cloud based storage makes life soo much simpler, too.

I've dropped it a few times, but it's never suffered any damage bc of the case I have. Honestly, dropping a tablet is nowhere near as heart-stopping as dropping your laptop lol. It's not a perfect little machine--there are flaws--but it beats anything else on the market (yet) for quality and cost. If you're really uncertain, wait until next semester bc there are a bunch of new tablets coming out this fall.

Global Posts
    12 Global Posts

I am currently using me Nexus 7 for college. It is the best investment I've made! I use Coursesmart for ebooks (I would recommend looking elsewhere because the app quite frankly sucks on android). I have not had any trouble with it and I've had it for over a month now. Definitely worth getting!

I use a tablet for note taking and reading for my classes. I use the Kindle app or any pdf reader for reading ebooks. For notes I use polar office for note taking. It's cool because there is a insert picture button and i can take pictures of slides or stuff written on the board. This frees up time to take notes on the discussion.

I am also a college student and i use this tablet to read my ebooks.i use vitalsource to get my books.it is a handy device.i haven't had no issues with it and i love it.you wont regret buying it.if you do buy from a store make sure the serial number starts at c80 that way you wont get an old build that might cause problems.or you can order it from google play store which they have the latest build.hope this help.

Global Posts
    824 Global Posts

I bought 2 books for my last quarter on the Kindle application for a total of about $25. Next I'm going to be looking for a good note taking application

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Yes, it's really worth it!
    I'm also a college student, I've been having it for about a month or so with no problems, and haven't put down since.

Just remember if the books are only available on nook study that they are not compatible with the nook for Android app and will not work on any tablet or phone. you will have to find another copy.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

I am a college student. Can you tell me which website to purchase ebook ? Thank you

If you're in need of a good ebook app I would suggest OverDrive Media Console. It works perfectly with all of my ePub files and I think it can even read a few other types. Its great for my use because it can also be used to rent books from your local library's online catalogue and it even has support for audio books! I don't personally own the Nexus 7 so I can't vouch for reliability and durability but I know a few people who bough it and it seems the latest batches have gotten better because my friend who JUST bought his N7 last week is perfect but some of my family members who preordered have issues.

Good luck in college!