Best Tablet UI for N7? Chameleon Launcher is too expensive

Ivanamanation#IM

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
I love the idea of the Chameleon Launcher, but I as I read reviews, I've come to the conclusion that price didn't warrant the value. I personally feel insulted being charged $10 for a launcher that most people are not satisfied with and claim to still be lacking a lot of stuff.

Does any have any suggestions for any great launchers with a beautiful UI?

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I love the idea of the Chameleon Launcher, but I as I read reviews, I've come to the conclusion that price didn't warrant the value. I personally feel insulted being charged $10 for a launcher that most people are not satisfied with and claim to still be lacking a lot of stuff.

Does any have any suggestions for any great launchers with a beautiful UI?

There's nothing out there that replicates what Chameleon does, unfortunately. Also, chalk me up as an extremely pleased customer.

tehamapa.jpg

Agreed. Ten bucks for a flawed version 1.0 ?????

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

It's in beta--this is normal for any software and particularly for stuff like this. When you see how intense and how deep Chameleon goes, well, the long beta process is justified IMO.

Wobblin30

May 20, 2011
Visit site
Chameleon sure looks intriguing. Nice, clean interface and something different from the norm that's made for tablets. I may use up the last of my credit and grab it.

complexx

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
Presently, I love the idea of Chameleon, however it's functionality is quite trivial right now. I guess if all you do with your tablet is read news/social media/emails, then you'll like this $10 app, but for me, I could care less about news feeds and social media and weather. I use my Nexus 7 in the car exclusively, for navigation, listening to audio/audiobooks, etc., car stuff and this app just doesn't have any features that appeal to my uses.

I think with usual price of apps being around $5 or less, people are shocked at the $10 price tag, but when you think about it, it's really not that bad. Presently I don't think the app is worth the price, but as they add more widgets, I can see it evening out. An interesting feature for using this app would be if they charged per widget, this way you get the functionality of the design, but you don't need to pay for facebook and twitter apps if you don't use them, etc.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Presently, I love the idea of Chameleon, however it's functionality is quite trivial right now. I guess if all you do with your tablet is read news/social media/emails, then you'll like this $10 app, but for me, I could care less about news feeds and social media and weather. I use my Nexus 7 in the car exclusively, for navigation, listening to audio/audiobooks, etc., car stuff and this app just doesn't have any features that appeal to my uses.

I think with usual price of apps being around $5 or less, people are shocked at the $10 price tag, but when you think about it, it's really not that bad. Presently I don't think the app is worth the price, but as they add more widgets, I can see it evening out. An interesting feature for using this app would be if they charged per widget, this way you get the functionality of the design, but you don't need to pay for facebook and twitter apps if you don't use them, etc.

They just told me on G+ that a widget store--no mention of cost--is in the works. I think that's great, b/c support/development of widgets should be amazing once the kinks get ironed out.

anon(186320)

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I've been using Chamelon since the first release (Kickstarter backer here) and have been very pleased to see the progress Teknision have been making. IMO, not bad at all for $10, and I can't wait to see where it goes from here. With APIs opening up, there will be nothing but great things ahead.

complexx

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
The Audible app from audible.com. Im sure there are better apps out there for listening to audiobooks but i havent had the opportunity to search.

djnshores

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
I've been using Chamelon since the first release (Kickstarter backer here) and have been very pleased to see the progress Teknision have been making. IMO, not bad at all for $10, and I can't wait to see where it goes from here. With APIs opening up, there will be nothing but great things ahead.

All the Android tablets so far have emulated Microsoft and Apple's desktop icon themes. Chameleon is a unique product and I like its menu screen more than all the tiny icons all over the place. It is more aesthetically pleasing.

I was a little shocked at first at the $10 price. There are few apps at that price. Most are between free and $5 with a lot at 99 cents. These apps rely on volume for their revenue. Chameleon is more of a niche app, consequently the higher price. And with the higher price it had better be good.

If the money results in a superior product then it is worth the expense. The basic menu screen on the Nexus 7 with its small icons doesn't appeal to me. I like order and simplicity. I like it so the $10 spent is worth it to me. But it isn't for everybody.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Are there still only about a half dozen widgets? It looks really slick, but really needs more widgets to seem justified to me.

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
All the Android tablets so far have emulated Microsoft and Apple's desktop icon themes. Chameleon is a unique product and I like its menu screen more than all the tiny icons all over the place. It is more aesthetically pleasing.

I was a little shocked at first at the $10 price. There are few apps at that price. Most are between free and $5 with a lot at 99 cents. These apps rely on volume for their revenue. Chameleon is more of a niche app, consequently the higher price. And with the higher price it had better be good.

If the money results in a superior product then it is worth the expense. The basic menu screen on the Nexus 7 with its small icons doesn't appeal to me. I like order and simplicity. I like it so the $10 spent is worth it to me. But it isn't for everybody.

Whaaaat? Nexus 7 stock Android icons don't look at all like Apple or Windows.

Sent from my One X using Android Central Forums

Dr0me

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
i hadn't heard of this until I saw this thread and just bought and installed it. This UI is so awesome. Perfect for a tablet. I am excited to see what new widgets they come out with. Also to see if I get the desire to switch back to nova launcher. time will tell.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol