Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Ivanamanation#IM
  • 1 Post By dmmarck
  • 1 Post By dmmarck
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Best Tablet UI for N7? Chameleon Launcher is too expensive

I love the idea of the Chameleon Launcher, but I as I read reviews, I've come to the conclusion that price didn't warrant the value. I personally feel insulted being charged $10 for a launcher that most people are not satisfied with and claim to still be lacking a lot of stuff.

Does any have any suggestions for any great launchers with a beautiful UI?
    berrydroidapple likes this.

Default Re: Best Tablet UI for N7? Chameleon Launcher is too expensive

Agreed. Ten bucks for a flawed version 1.0 ?????

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    Verizon Note 2 on 4.4.2 and Gear 2

Use APEX launcher, or GO launcher and choose from endless themes.

Sent from my One X using Android Central Forums
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    10,930 Global Posts
    ROM
    What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by cashiskingnyc View Post
    I love the idea of the Chameleon Launcher, but I as I read reviews, I've come to the conclusion that price didn't warrant the value. I personally feel insulted being charged $10 for a launcher that most people are not satisfied with and claim to still be lacking a lot of stuff.

Does any have any suggestions for any great launchers with a beautiful UI?
    There's nothing out there that replicates what Chameleon does, unfortunately. Also, chalk me up as an extremely pleased customer.

Quote Originally Posted by dave1812dave View Post
    Agreed. Ten bucks for a flawed version 1.0 ?????

It's in beta--this is normal for any software and particularly for stuff like this. When you see how intense and how deep Chameleon goes, well, the long beta process is justified IMO.
    Irvgotti likes this.

Chameleon sure looks intriguing. Nice, clean interface and something different from the norm that's made for tablets. I may use up the last of my credit and grab it.

Presently, I love the idea of Chameleon, however it's functionality is quite trivial right now. I guess if all you do with your tablet is read news/social media/emails, then you'll like this $10 app, but for me, I could care less about news feeds and social media and weather. I use my Nexus 7 in the car exclusively, for navigation, listening to audio/audiobooks, etc., car stuff and this app just doesn't have any features that appeal to my uses.

I think with usual price of apps being around $5 or less, people are shocked at the $10 price tag, but when you think about it, it's really not that bad. Presently I don't think the app is worth the price, but as they add more widgets, I can see it evening out. An interesting feature for using this app would be if they charged per widget, this way you get the functionality of the design, but you don't need to pay for facebook and twitter apps if you don't use them, etc.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    10,930 Global Posts
    ROM
    What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by complexx View Post
    Presently, I love the idea of Chameleon, however it's functionality is quite trivial right now. I guess if all you do with your tablet is read news/social media/emails, then you'll like this $10 app, but for me, I could care less about news feeds and social media and weather. I use my Nexus 7 in the car exclusively, for navigation, listening to audio/audiobooks, etc., car stuff and this app just doesn't have any features that appeal to my uses.

I think with usual price of apps being around $5 or less, people are shocked at the $10 price tag, but when you think about it, it's really not that bad. Presently I don't think the app is worth the price, but as they add more widgets, I can see it evening out. An interesting feature for using this app would be if they charged per widget, this way you get the functionality of the design, but you don't need to pay for facebook and twitter apps if you don't use them, etc.
    They just told me on G+ that a widget store--no mention of cost--is in the works. I think that's great, b/c support/development of widgets should be amazing once the kinks get ironed out.

ROM
    Some Jelly Bean ROM

I've been using Chamelon since the first release (Kickstarter backer here) and have been very pleased to see the progress Teknision have been making. IMO, not bad at all for $10, and I can't wait to see where it goes from here. With APIs opening up, there will be nothing but great things ahead.
    Jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelly Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeans!
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

What do you use to listen to audio book?

The Audible app from audible.com. Im sure there are better apps out there for listening to audiobooks but i havent had the opportunity to search.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by dmonzel View Post
    I've been using Chamelon since the first release (Kickstarter backer here) and have been very pleased to see the progress Teknision have been making. IMO, not bad at all for $10, and I can't wait to see where it goes from here. With APIs opening up, there will be nothing but great things ahead.
    All the Android tablets so far have emulated Microsoft and Apple's desktop icon themes. Chameleon is a unique product and I like its menu screen more than all the tiny icons all over the place. It is more aesthetically pleasing.

I was a little shocked at first at the $10 price. There are few apps at that price. Most are between free and $5 with a lot at 99 cents. These apps rely on volume for their revenue. Chameleon is more of a niche app, consequently the higher price. And with the higher price it had better be good.

If the money results in a superior product then it is worth the expense. The basic menu screen on the Nexus 7 with its small icons doesn't appeal to me. I like order and simplicity. I like it so the $10 spent is worth it to me. But it isn't for everybody.

Are there still only about a half dozen widgets? It looks really slick, but really needs more widgets to seem justified to me.

ROM
    Stock Sense 4.1.1

Quote Originally Posted by YAYTech View Post
    Are there still only about a half dozen widgets? It looks really slick, but really needs more widgets to seem justified to me.
    Right now it just has the basic widgets. Of course over time more will be added.
    Privacy is overrated :P
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    10,930 Global Posts
    ROM
    What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by YAYTech View Post
    Calendar is coming "really soon," Google Plus is coming "soon."

Quote Originally Posted by Shorian View Post
    All the Android tablets so far have emulated Microsoft and Apple's desktop icon themes. Chameleon is a unique product and I like its menu screen more than all the tiny icons all over the place. It is more aesthetically pleasing.

I was a little shocked at first at the $10 price. There are few apps at that price. Most are between free and $5 with a lot at 99 cents. These apps rely on volume for their revenue. Chameleon is more of a niche app, consequently the higher price. And with the higher price it had better be good.

If the money results in a superior product then it is worth the expense. The basic menu screen on the Nexus 7 with its small icons doesn't appeal to me. I like order and simplicity. I like it so the $10 spent is worth it to me. But it isn't for everybody.
    Whaaaat? Nexus 7 stock Android icons don't look at all like Apple or Windows.

Sent from my One X using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    334 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP PUB / Franco Kernel

i hadn't heard of this until I saw this thread and just bought and installed it. This UI is so awesome. Perfect for a tablet. I am excited to see what new widgets they come out with. Also to see if I get the desire to switch back to nova launcher. time will tell.
    Google Android Affectionado