Potential hardware issues?

MousePad

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Hello all,

Google Groups

PSA: Some 16GB Nexus 7s Experiencing Severe Performance Issues With Less Than 3GB Of Free Space Remaining

2 URLs I invite you to browse, about potential issues with the Nexus 7 16Gb models. Long story short, if the device falls below 3gb of free memory, the device begins lagging, and the only way to restore normal functionnality is to do a factory reset. I don't want to be an alarmist, as I did not experience this behaviour myself (yet).

I wanted to get this out here so maybe more people can confirm the problem, and if needed, get the word out to Google and Asus, so they can do something about it.

Mods, Please move this topic if needed.

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
Hello all,

Google Groups

PSA: Some 16GB Nexus 7s Experiencing Severe Performance Issues With Less Than 3GB Of Free Space Remaining

2 URLs I invite you to browse, about potential issues with the Nexus 7 16Gb models. Long story short, if the device falls below 3gb of free memory, the device begins lagging, and the only way to restore normal functionnality is to do a factory reset. I don't want to be an alarmist, as I did not experience this behaviour myself (yet).

I wanted to get this out here so maybe more people can confirm the problem, and if needed, get the word out to Google and Asus, so they can do something about it.

Mods, Please move this topic if needed.

Haven't noticed any lag.

Sent from my One X using Android Central Forums

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I wonder if the device is set up to use unused storage space as virtual memory. If it is, then that would explain performance issues as space gets slim, and it would affect 8gb models just as much as 16gb models.

MousePad

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
I wonder if the device is set up to use unused storage space as virtual memory. If it is, then that would explain performance issues as space gets slim, and it would affect 8gb models just as much as 16gb models.

From what I can determine through my readings, 8Gb models are not affected by this issue. One of the current theories would be a defect in the 16Gb eMMCs used.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I had extreme lag on mine with more than 8 GB free . A reset has it working at lightning speed again.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums