OTG with a powered terabyte HD [works]

Zapflashgone

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
Got my OTG dongle in the mail today and tried it out on a variety of thumb drives. Using Nexus Media Importer [HomeySoft- $2.99- No Root] everything went as smoothly as other posts had said.
I don't particularly mind the "read-only" nature of this fix, I've got plenty of cloud servers to sent stuff out to, but I'd wanted to be able to watch movies without the hassle of carrying them around. Once they been watched, they been watched and I watch at home a lot anyway. I'm loving how easy it is to hold the N7 propped up on a knee or chair arm.
I figured since the terabyte drive I have slaved to my wireless is powered, what could it hurt to hook it up and see if it would work just as well as the thumb drives. I hooked up a long cable [mini-to-standard plugs] and Nexus Media Importer recognized it right off with the "remember this drive each time" prompt. The drive whirred away, [took mebbe 15 min] the N7 shut off it's screen a couple of times and THEN the dreaded "black screen" happened. No response to power button this time... Ruh Roh!!
Held down the power and prayed for a reboot. Nexus 7 came right up like normal and when I checked the Media Importer... one fully indexed Terabye HD!
Everything seems to work just like, and just as well as, the thumb drives. Just watched half a flick off it. The OTG cable I got actually will just pass through my stand-up-case and off out the other side to the drive. So, no tugging/wiggle/fatigue on the fitting.
My next question is going to be finding out if the indexing is "persistent" or if it has to scan the drive each time. This could be the deal-breaker convenience-wise... thumb drives take like "zip!" to index.