Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    35 Global Posts

Default DLNA/AllShare like app included on the Nexus 7?

Does the Nexus 7 have something like AllShare on the Samsung Galaxy SII? I love being able to stream videos stored on my Windows 7 PC wirelessly and so simply without any fuss or downloading. If not, can someone recommend, preferably, a free app that can do that? Thanks.
    Dag, yo!

ROM
    AOKP/Franco & PA/Franco

Default Re: DLNA/AllShare like app included on the Nexus 7?

There is no native app that I know of on the N7 that will serve via DLNA. Let me look into a few options later tonight (hopefully) to see what is available. I don't currently stream from my android devices via DLNA, but you're not the first person to ask and now I'm just interested in finding the solution. If no one else speaks up before then, I'll try to give some feedback later on with what I find.
    Thanked by:
    iamblob likes this.

I didn't try it on my nexus 7 yet but I will when I get home but for my phones and tv I use twonky to stream everything at home
    Thanked by:
    iamblob likes this.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    35 Global Posts

Hey thanks for the quick replies. I look forward to the answers. Just to be clear things up I want to be able to just watch stuff on the N7 itself while the files are actually stored on my W7 PC. The N7 16GB is going to be on sale this Saturday and I'm wondering if I should get a Samsung tablet instead which would have AllShare which does exactly what I want.

Global Posts
    90 Global Posts

Try aVia media player. I've used it to stream from my phone to my tablet, but it should see your computers allshare dlna server. I like it better than twonky, its easier and faster.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:
    iamblob likes this.
    Dag, yo!

ROM
    AOKP/Franco & PA/Franco

Quote Originally Posted by daredeshouka View Post
    Hey thanks for the quick replies. I look forward to the answers. Just to be clear things up I want to be able to just watch stuff on the N7 itself while the files are actually stored on my W7 PC. The N7 16GB is going to be on sale this Saturday and I'm wondering if I should get a Samsung tablet instead which would have AllShare which does exactly what I want.
    Whoa, I completely misread the original post. Unfortunately, I don't have AllShare installed on my PC, so this wont be possible for me to test. I'm not sure if AllShare functions as a true DLNA server or if it is something a bit more proprietary. I'll see what I can do about possibly installing it to test it out.

The alternative would be to install a DLNA server or your PC (of which there are many - I use serviio) and a DLNA client on all of your devices. This would render the AllShare app on your phone useless, but would free you from being locked into proprietary services.
    Thanked by 2:
    iamblob likes this.

If you're trying to stream media from your PC to your Nexus 7, I was able to do this using MediaHouse on my N7 and either Serviio or TVersity as a DLNA/UPnP server on my PC. For files that aren't supported natively on the N7 like .FLV or .MKV, either Dice Player or MX Player works. Now, the N7 couldn't really keep up with HD video streamed over WiFi, but my DLNA-ready TV couldn't keep up with HD video over WiFi either. But audio, photos, regular-def video all work great.
    Thanked by 4:
    iamblob and bigtroutz like this.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Global Posts
    35 Global Posts

Is there something special about Serviio or TVersity? I currently use Windows 7 and it natively includes a DLNA server and it works perfectly with AllShare on the Samsung Galaxy SII. All DLNA servers should be equal, right? I really don't want to buy or install more software on the PC.

Sorry if I confused everyone. I basically just wanted to know if the N7 had something like Samsung's AllShare DLNA client so that I can watch videos on the N7.

By the way, I don't own a N7. I just wanted to find out first whether it came with a pre-installed DLNA client app. The Samsung Tab 2 7" is my other possible choice but it doesn't come with JB and I prefer stock android over Samsung's TouchWiz I think the display on the N7 is better too. Choices choices choices... sigh lol.
    Dag, yo!

ROM
    AOKP/Franco & PA/Franco

I use Serviio because I don't much care for Windows Media Player, plus I think a few more formats are supported. Serviio is free btw. In essence, however, all DLNA servers should accomplish the same thing, some may just support a few more filetypes.

There is no native app as far as I'm aware on the N7. Just tested out aVia and MediaHouse. Both work perfectly fine streaming from my DLNA server. Both are free but they have pro (read: paid) versions. If you can tolerate ads, the free version may be perfectly acceptable. If not, the N7 still comes with a $25 play credit so you could easily pick up aVia for 99 cents and not have to pay out of pocket.

If they can pick up serviio, I'm certain they'll pick up Windows Media Player 12 served files as well. Also, if you bought the Nexus at a local store, most have a limited return window where you could take it back for a refund if it doesn't stream as you're hoping.

Edit: scratch that, aVia's paid version is just for more languages. I didn't test it out for too long; I just wanted to see if it would work fine.
    Thanked by:
    iamblob likes this.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Global Posts
    35 Global Posts

Thanks again. Great, ok, so one way or another I'll be covered. Staples is having a 10% off all tablets door-crasher sale this Saturday here so the 16GB will go for $233-ish. But their service is horrible, I hate returning things there, so if I buy something I have to be 100% sure I'm going to keep it.

I use BubbleUPnP on the N7 to select the folders on my PC served up by Windows Media Player over my home network.
    The N7 needs a player also. I like MX player.
    Thanked by:

To simply stream videos from my computer using my local WiFi network, I just use BS Player. I think MX Player also does streaming now. To use a different media player or for audio, you can also stream using a file explorer app, like Solid Explorer or ES File Explorer. You just need to share the appropriate folders on your computer.

I also use BubbleUPnP. This let's me stream from my Nexus 7 to my LG TV that has DLNA built in. This is a nice wireless solution if the movie or music is on my Nexus 7 instead of my computer. It also allows me to stream from my computer to my Nexus 7 even if I'm not on my local WiFi network (so if I'm half way around the world I should be able to use my Nexus 7 to watch movies stored on my computer) . To do so, you also need to have a DLNA server (I use the free Serviio) and BubbleUPnP Server (free) installed on your computer. There are some limitations to this unless you get the paid version of BubbleUPnP.

I'm not sure if this information applies to your needs, but perhaps it will be useful to someone!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by 2:
    Minkey1 likes this.

thanks for the suggestion for bubbleUPnP. installed and used it today.
    Verizon Note 2 on 4.4.2 and Gear 2

Global Posts
    196 Global Posts

Plex is what I use for all my devices.

I use iMediaShare
    On that Jellybean stuff

Imediashare is the app you are looking for I just read the post and looked for an app and I found imediashare works good theres a paid and lite version if u wanna stream the content you already have on your n7 just use the free version

The combination of Serviio on the PC, BubbleUPnP and BS Player works the best for me.

Global Posts
    482 Global Posts

They're currently working on XBMC for Android (Nightlies at xda-developers) - streams everything except HD just fine.

The N7 is better than the Tab 2 in almost every way.
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

Global Posts
    35 Global Posts

Thank you everyone for your responses. What a great community!

I wasn't able to get a N7 like I had planned, but will hopefully get one soon or win one *hint hint* lol.

Here is the allshare app if you guys want https://www.dropbox.com/s/v6y4sycot7...hare_1.1.0.apk. If this is not allowed then I'll delete. I'm not sure cause we post this kind of stuff at the E4GT forums that actually has the app. Its what I use for my Samsung LED TV

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:
    Minkey1 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MJKearney View Post

I also use BubbleUPnP. This let's me stream from my Nexus 7 to my LG TV that has DLNA built in. This is a nice wireless solution if the movie or music is on my Nexus 7 instead of my computer.
    When you look for devices in Bubble, does your TV show up even though it's a client and not a server?
    Do your files have to be in the TV's native formats to show up on the TV's menus for selection, or does Bubble do any transcoding?

ROM
    4.1.2 stock JB

The easiest way to steam Media from PC to N7 is to make network shared folder in Windows and access it using ES file explorer.

http://androidforums.com/samsung-gal...c-tab-2-a.html

Quote Originally Posted by tflash View Post
    When you look for devices in Bubble, does your TV show up even though it's a client and not a server?
    Do your files have to be in the TV's native formats to show up on the TV's menus for selection, or does Bubble do any transcoding?
    Hey tflash, fancy meeting you here! I just finished writing a response to you under another topic, where I disagreed with your opinion. I hope I didn't come off as too big of an uppity *** in my response!

Anyway, no, the TV doesn't show up in the device list on BubbleUPnP. And unless the video file is something the TV handles natively, it won't play back. It will, however, be listed on the TV's screen, but will give me an incompatibility message if I try to play it. That's for the LG TV that I have.

I don't know enough about DLNA and UPnP, so I'm not sure about the options available. I know just enough to get it to work for my purposes. Networking beyond the very basics has always confused me a bit. When I hear client and server, I have to take a moment to map this out in my mind!

Global Posts
    22 Global Posts

I agree with Skyrockett. ES File Explorer File Manager is free and will find and open/play all (shared) media files on your home network. Lots of other useful functions too, e.g. FTP, Bluetooth, Net. You can also Copy/Delete etc. between devices. Highly recommended!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast