NFC ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnwin

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
I have one on my Incase Origami keyboard case. When I put my Nexus 7 in the holder it turns on bluetooth, turns on wireless, sets brightness to auto, switches of notification sounds and launches Epistle ready for me to take meeting notes

One on my bedside table to set an alarm, set brightness to a pre-defined level and launches the Kindle app

sndplace

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure why everyone thinks that when Apple gets on the NFC bandwagon that the tech will magically become more useful. Other than mobile payments and check-ins, the only other use for it is performing multiple actions with one tap based on location.
Understanding what you mean (maybe) lol NFC right now for the public sector offers very little when considering the masses. Even on here were people come for information,tips and tricks don't all use these tags. If CrApple were to have jumped in on them it would have been a faster way to spread NFC use around but they would have most likely locked it down like they do and only allowed it to be used specifically for payments and then only buy you getting and App to use it in specific ways. I don't think they would allow you to program it but i could be wrong.

Oh? So some people don't leave their houses? I'm surprised things like sunglasses ever caught on. Because it just doesn't make sense to market something, if 100% of the population isn't going to use it.
lol People in there house don't ware sun glasses lol smh

I'm one of those people who keep their phone on the same settings all the time. Pretty much the biggest reason for that is that I forget to change them, or don't feel like taking the time. So I get my choice between missing calls, or annoying people. I would much rather use NFC to control that, I just haven't bothered to buy any tags yet. I'm sure that plenty of people are the same way, and could benefit from NFC. There just needs to be some better marketing for it.

I'm like you i leave my settings alone most of the time and would like the tags to set up settings and task but for fun or because its a new cool tech toy for me. If these can be added to like items that don't have the capacity of NFC out the Box like my Note Tablet and work just like the others then it would be great. I don't know if that's possible.

Also for people like us who would want this to do things we forget or don't do because its time consuming every time and we just like to go and for things to just happen, we need to still buy them in order to perform these task we don't do lol

I want the tags for Multiple reasons and business is what comes to mind every time. Right now IMO work places, stores and advertising your business are the top uses for these tags right now. Yes I would set them up at home and car for simple task but if i place these things around town and those of you who have NFC scan it and purchase from us then it would be a great investment.

jennyfur

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
For shopping I'd like to see, but I haven't seen any NFC payment options anywhere.
Wow seriously? You don't have any chains where you live? Practically every convenience store, drug store and grocery store by me takes paypass (as well as a few retail stores).
MasterCard PayPass Merchant Locations | MasterCard?

Now that Google wallet allows you to link any credit card, I use it all the time.

I have a few nfc tags as well, but the only one I use regularly is the one in my car to turn on bluetooth, increase volume, etc.

gpdaddy95

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
I pretty much agree haven't found a use for it yet.

Alarms - the alarm app allows me to set what I want and forget it. Why would I need to turn it on again? You can set multiple alarms too.

Settings - I work from home, so I don't go anywhere. If I had to go into the office, I don't need an NFC tag to just press the volume down button for vibrate.

I don't know, I just still don't see the point. For shopping I'd like to see, but I haven't seen any NFC payment options anywhere.

My wife did say she wants to use it to text me in the other room when dinner is ready. Lol. Maybe that's good.

As I get in the car, I have a tag that turns off WiFi, turns on 3G/4G, starts "Car Mode", turns up the media volume, turns on Bluetooth and starts up a Tasker profile to read all my texts through my Bluetooth. When I get out of the car, it turns off "Car Mode", turns off Bluetooth and stops the Tasker profile. I have another tag in my garage that returns everything back to "home mode" using WiFi only.

As for payment options, McDonalds takes it. I heard that Best Buy also uses Google Wallet, but in my area, none of them have even heard of it. (Pretty strange considering they sell phones with Google Wallet included as a feature.....duh).

As for calling you for dinner, she would have to program a tag to send out an auto text. While that sounds a litlle lame, I'm sure it's an idea that's applicable in other situations. NFC is just new and it's going to take awhile for everyone to adopt it. Much as I hate to say it, if Apple embraced the NFC tech for payments, store owners around the country would leap at the chance to install the payment readers everywhere.

gpdaddy95

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
How's this for an idea? Store owners could install a tag that when users touched it, it would go to a website (via WiFi) download the sale paper, Updateyour foursquare location and instantly post a "Like" on Facebook. Sounds awfully commercial (and very non-android-central geek-like), but with a very minor outlay at a store like Gamestop, and customers could be better tracked and advertisements could be better targeted.

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Because when Apple says Jump iphone users say how high.
This would lead to more widespread use IMHO and that is a good thing.
Right now because of the programming required for tags, which takes a bit to get used to depending on which tag you use, etc., iphone users want everything done for them.
Very few people outside of my company use android devices. They are all iphone users, especially HS kids. Since I do a lot of photography work at football games etc how great would it be for them to hit my nfc tag, whether I have one at each gate to the field, on me or my assistant photographers, etc. and it takes them to their school's photo gallery and all they have to do is choose a photo and hit buy. No cc needed. No me needing to take out my square reader for payment, etc.

dyppmo

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
I have a few of the "normal" ones... in and out of the car, work or home... but I also have a ton of very simple ones that come in handy too.
I spent a lot of time searching for complex recipes but I found that the tools on my phone, that I wanted to use, were very contextual.
For instance, I would love to be able to take inventory on my phone but it just isn't practical(yet), but an NFC sticker on my clipboard to open the calculator just seems smart.

Here's a quick list of my everyday and home uses...
on the back of my guitar, opens a guitar tuner app
on my practice drum pad, opens the metronome
on my harmonica case, plays a blues playlist
on my Xoom, opens WiFi Tether
on my carry-on bag, toggles airplane mode
in my wallet, toggles silent mode(it reaches through my jacket)
on the refrigerator, opens the Peapod grocery delivery app.
on the stove, opens the timer app
on my dash , starts recording and streaming video (I've never needed to use it, but just in case, it records and sends to the cloud. Quick and discrete)
But my favorite is this one...
on my Zippo (I keep it in my watch pocket), it uses NFC Tag Launcher to text IFTTT.com, which then calls my phone so I can make an excuse to escape.

For work, part of my job is to help plan large events at places that don't have the facilities to do large events, like a field, or a park, or a city corner.
This takes lots of planning, things like auto and pedestrian traffic, to power supply, tides, porta-pottys, staging emergency vehicles... (not to mention the artist/event itself).
I mainly use Sketchup to build a model and Layout to make the presentations, but most of the on-site info I collect is on my phone.

I use NFC stickers on my work notebook because its quick and it doesn't look like I'm fiddling with my phone during meetings.
Instead of spinning through my app drawer, trying to find the tool that doesn't warrant a spot on my home screen, I just tap my phone to open the correct tool.
I basically turn the notebook into an interface for the phone

These are the NFC quick-links I stuck to my work notebook to collect the info, (in order of most scans)...
Camera
Calculator
Compose Gmail
Dropbox
Evernote
Google Maps
Google Earth
Calendar
Contacts
Google Goggles

These are so quick and easy that they're second-nature now
I have a bunch hidden around the house but I've forgotten about some of them. (sorry for such a long post!)

gpdaddy95

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
My second batch came in a couple of hours ago. I got 20 this time. Got a keyring this time too. I gotta figure a good prank put on the keyring tag!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

mkhall

May 3, 2011
Visit site
But my favorite is this one...
on my Zippo (I keep it in my watch pocket), it uses NFC Tag Launcher to text IFTTT.com, which then calls my phone so I can make an excuse to escape.

Okay, this made me laugh!

This thread is fascinating to me. I've seen the potential in NFC for a while, but there are some brilliant, practical uses being put forth here. Kudos all around!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

dunneldeen

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
I use NFC Task Launcher in conjunction with Tasker. I use it primarily on my Nexus 7, but have also used some of these with my daughters phone, wife's phone, and an occasional guest (for the wifi setup.)

• On the door of my bar to startup my bartending app
  • On the side of my Entertainment Center to setup and connect to the downstairs WiFi
  • On my nightstand to lower brightness, lower volume, start a backup and connect to my upstairs WiFi
  • In my tablet slipcase to turn my tablet off and lock it
  • On the lid of my laptop to turn on WiFi File Explorer
  • On my bluetooth stereo headset to turn on bluetooth and connect (I tend to leave bluetooth off on my tablet)

MJKearney

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
I didn't realize there was so much to do with NFC, now I am excited try this out. I found this CNET video that does a pretty good job of making sense if your still confused.
The most practical, creative ways to use NFC with your Android device | How To - CNET
Ironically, though our advanced Nexus 7 tablets can utilize this newfangled NFC technology, as explained in this article, it can't utilize a much more common technology known as Flash, which means the accompanying video can't be viewed on the website!

(Yeah, I know Flash is dying and it can be side loaded. It just struck me as funny, that's all.)

Sent from my Nexus 7

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't say it's useless... but it's also a relatively new technology that hasn't completely caught on yet. There is a lot of potential to have some cool apps and other ideas come out. Just probably isn't worth it to developers yet because not enough devices have it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

A lot of devices have it but the payment portion caused some carriers to lock it down which really hurt adoption. It took 8 months or so before moat NFC phones on AT&T released late last year could even access it in settings.

It hurts adoption. There were enough phones out there, just not enough with their NFC chips active.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Intocad

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
I was going to use them for meetingcheck ins. To see who attended. I was going to get everyone on the team a keychain they could tag my phone with and date stamp the time and the name....still working on it.
Also thought about the possibility of tag on all the meeting doors and silent phones etc. And download the meeting agenda.

rmiles7721

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I pretty much agree haven't found a use for it yet.

I don't know, I just still don't see the point. For shopping I'd like to see, but I haven't seen any NFC payment options anywhere.

McDonald's, CVS, Walgreen's, Home Depot, and BP all accept Fastpass. There are others as well but those are the places I frequent the most. If I have a choice of using one merchant that accepts it and another that doesn't, I choose the one that accepts my preferred form of payment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markizta