Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree50Likes

Default Re: NFC ideas?

I read somewhere that a person has a tag at their door, so when they come home they scan their Nexus 7 and their desktop boots up. How can I do that?

Sent from my Google Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    Resident Ringtone Maker

Global Posts
    7,050 Global Posts
    ROM
    BB JB

Quote Originally Posted by newcdn View Post
    I read somewhere that a person has a tag at their door, so when they come home they scan their Nexus 7 and their desktop boots up. How can I do that?

Sent from my Google Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    I don't see how. Maybe take your computer out of sleep mode using a sync program. With power completely off? Can't see it working.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Some computers have a feature called wake-on-lan. Basically, the network card can detect when packets are being sent to it and it tells the computer to boot. My guess is the nfc tag is pinging the ip address of his computer on his local network.

It can do Plenty

Here's what I do

a. When I have folks come over home, they usually wanna share the Wifi (Pass protected, obviously). I've setup an NFC Tile , that would allow the device any NFC device to the network in ease. You can use InstaWifi to get this done
    b. Depending on what "Task" you'd like to establish, the NFC Task Launcher is extremely useful too

Am hoping to establish the first solution across multiple Cafes which have Public Wifi (with passkeys), so that it becomes a lot easier for them to use so.

The industry uses Payment as a known action. However, you can utilize its from ticketing systems to combining reward programs. The gamut of what's capable lies in how you want it to effect your daily life to work life.

Quote Originally Posted by dwr3ck3d View Post
    I got some NFC tags today. Anyone have some cool ideas for using them in a unique way?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Once you have a few to play with and some time to set them up, I think they can be pretty cool. I use NFC Task Launcher and NFC Task Writer. I think the more advanced you make process, the more you will find them useful. The first one I made was to toggle wifi for my S3 in my car. That tag really serves as a reminder to toggle my wifi rather than a useful shortcut though--Half the time I have already docked my phone by the time I see the tag.

I used an NFC tag combined with a QR Code (For those without NFC) to give guests a quick easy way to access our home wifi network.

Setting Up Guest WiFi Access Using QR Codes and NFC Tags

Yeah, I really don't see a use case for them for me that Tasker doesn't already do.

I use Tasker for my 'car mode' and 'work mode', so I really don't see that I need this right now.

I get doing that for WiFi guests but I just don't see that it is necessary because the password is on my modem and is easily accessible in my family room.

However, I did use google wallet on a vending machine and it was pretty cool. But was it really easier than swiping my credit card? Not really. I had to tap it, enter a pin, and tap it again.

I always forget to change laundry out and my wife gets soooooo mad. I'm really bad at it though... clothes could sit in the washer for a day!

I now have am NFC at both washer and drier to start the timer on my phone lol. Very simple but soooo worth it!

Thanked by:

I too don't really see the point. I was going to set up one to turn off GPS, WiFi, etc. upon going to sleep so as to conserve battery. Then I realized that I'd have to set it up to turn the NFC detection off as well LOL..

NFC is a battery problem to be solved - Nashville Technology | Examiner.com
    Galaxy Nexus > NFC Battery Drain > XDA

Global Posts
    115 Global Posts

I'm such a geek and I'm intrigued. I don't know what I will use it for but I'm brewing some ideas

Are online stores the only place to purchase tags from?

Quote Originally Posted by pcdebb View Post
    I'm such a geek and I'm intrigued. I don't know what I will use it for but I'm brewing some ideas

Are online stores the only place to purchase tags from?

Yeah... we might start seeing them available at Best Buy soon but until more phones have NFC (like the iPhone), internet vendors are the way to go.

Global Posts
    115 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WOP_Drive View Post
    Yeah... we might start seeing them available at Best Buy soon but until more phones have NFC (like the iPhone), internet vendors are the way to go.

I'm on tagsfordroid and I see two types? Might order like a pack of 10.

WOP_Drive likes this.

Global Posts
    115 Global Posts

Ordered tagsfordroid thru amazon and got them already! Now time to do some interesting things.

I think you can check out NFC Use Cases
    For ideas, and their appropriate tags design! Nice to read (not) all of you though!

Quote Originally Posted by pcdebb View Post
    I'm on tagsfordroid and I see two types?
    For the Nexus 7, both of those types (Mifare Classic and NTAG203) are compatible with it. Mifare Classic has a lot more storage than the NTAG203, but for automating tasks NTAG203 should be more than enough space. The positive for NTAG203 is that they will also work with the few rare devices using Broadcom NFC controllers such as Nexus 4 and 10.

Shop4NFC also carries both those types of tags. They're running a promo right now for an extra 5% off all orders.

Global Posts
    51 Global Posts

Tag in my flight suit to send a text to my GF that I'm going on a flight, that is why I don't answer and she can watch me on Google Latitude(sometimes I'm in another state and she doesn't know it)
    Tag also opens medical calculator app just in case.
    Grateful the vending machines in the hospital take PayPass since I often dont have cash and the cafeteria is not open at night.
    Tag in car to connect to bluetooth FM Transmitter to stereo. Also turns off WiFi, On GPS, Screen lock off, volume up, brightness up.
    At home to turn on wifi as I walk in door.
    Tag on N7 to turn on tethering of my phone.
    Tag on french press to start timer for coffee brewing.
    Tag on bike to start GPS app.
    Always trying to think of creative applications. Love the NFC.
    WOP_Drive and balou88 like this.

A new App showing a great NFC usage
    Doorbell app answers the door with NFC • NFC World

Quote Originally Posted by LFD153 View Post
    Grateful the vending machines in the hospital take PayPass since I often dont have cash and the cafeteria is not open at night.
    That's nice. Need more of those at rest stops/highway visitor centers.

Sent from the Superuser account on my newly rooted Sprint Galaxy Nexus

A little late in the game here, but in case you or others are still interested in this, here is the instructional link on how to set this up Using Tasker/WoL/NFC tags to auto start your computer! (x-Post from /androidapps) : Android

Global Posts
    41 Global Posts

I have been creating a website where you can register a 'location' and get a phone optimized guestbook and give details or facts about the location you then simply go and program a NFC tag with the supplied link and stick your tag to that location then people can tap your NFC tag and leave a message saying they have 'been here' its in a beta period now if you wan't to trial it out and give feedback before creating tags you have until end of august 2013 to let me know! The ideas that come with this is you could create a mini guestbook for your local hangout, park bench or even tag a location like a certain rest spot on a rock face (providing the tag sticks!) to see how many fellow climbers find the tag! or place a tag near an unusual item in the woods that you know used to belong to something etc etc! My site is I've Been Here!

Global Posts
    41 Global Posts

duplicate woops!

Quote Originally Posted by djSupport View Post
    ... My site is I've Been Here!
    Something like this on Indiegogo
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234