Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Default Re: Most Android Tablets are expensive toys

Quote Originally Posted by dave1812dave View Post
    Heck even my bionic is a free hotspot via Foxfi. Can't people figure out how to use free apps for free hot spotting. :-)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    If it's not preinstalled and located on their iPhone home screen, it doesn't exist.

Sent from my One X using Android Central Forums
    Donoghan likes this.
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,174 Global Posts

I wish the Nexus 7 did have a cellular option. I do find the 7 inch form factor intriguing - to the point where I could consider going back to a dumbphone assisted by a cellular-enabled tablet.

That said, it's a flawed assessment by the OP since not all iPads have cellular and not all Android tablets are Wi-Fi only.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums
    Last edited by Ry; 09-20-2012 at 09:58 PM.
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KOT49H, KitKat 4.4.2)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    I wish the Nexus 7 did have a cellular option. I do find the 7 inch form factor intriguing - to the point where I could consider going back to a dumbphone assisted by a cellular-enabled tablet.

That said, it's a flawed assessment by the OP since not all iPads have cellular and not all Android tablets are Wi-Fi only.

Isn't a 3G/4G N7 coming out this month?

Ry

Global Posts
    7,174 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by crackberrytraitor View Post
    Isn't a 3G/4G N7 coming out this month?

Unless it's coming with LTE, I'd say 3G.

But yeah, there's supposedly a cellular-enabled Nexus 7 in the works.

It would be a compelling option, IMO.

a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KOT49H, KitKat 4.4.2)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums

Global Posts
    501 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ManThatCan View Post
    I'm probably going to get "flamed" for this post. I've owned a Flytouch Superpad III for over a year, fun, clunky, rubbish battery life. I ebayed it and bought the new Nexus 7 last month. I'm not an Apple fan, think they are pricey and have always applauded Linux from the early days (text based Red Hat with Samba) for their stand against the mighty Microsoft. So at last, a cool, high spec Android device...

OK it's impressive, super smooth, fast responsive screen, good battery life - BUT I've come to the conclusion that without 3G or 4G, what's the point of a "portable" device that isn't that portable ?

I have an old Dell 430 12" laptop. It has Bluetooth and Wi-Fi as standard. I bought a WWAN card (Toshiba) for 10 from eBay and a 15 1 year internet T-Mobile SIM card. It works and connects to the Internet (almost) anywhere. Oh (almost forgot) it's got a SSD too !

My point ? - I tried to "tether" the Nexus 7 to the Dell using Wi-Fi to get the "best of both Worlds". Guess what ? Android tablets don't support "ad-hoc" wireless internet connection sharing. iPad and iPhones do (ironically they don't need to !)

I'm sorry, its a TOY ! and so is the Acer and so is the Kindle Fire. Until these support 3G/4G keep your money in your pocket !
    With my shared VZW data plan, I can connect my Asus Transformer Prime wherever I happen to be. I have no need for a 3G/4G plan for the device itself. It connects just fine to my HTC Trophy. Does that mean my tablet is a perfect mobile solution? No, it is not but mostly because none of the "Office apps" for Android tablets or the iPad are really up to the task for me. Does that mean it is just a toy? Again, no it does not. It has its limitations but it is certainly not a toy. Try walking around an archaeological site in the desert with a laptop in your hands. GPS plus tethering means I am connected and can check on something using real-time tracking on a screen a lot bigger than my handheld GPS unit and a lot more convenient than my laptop. It is, therefore, a convenient tool and certainly not a toy. That may be a very specific type of example but others can translate it into equally valid uses in their own lives.

Unless it's coming with LTE, I'd say 3G.

But yeah, there's supposedly a cellular-enabled Nexus 7 in the works.

It would be a compelling option, IMO.

Already manufactured, just awaiting shipping. Pointless for anyone who has a phone though, tethering is free which makes it a better option.

Quote Originally Posted by swyost View Post
    With my shared VZW data plan, I can connect my Asus Transformer Prime wherever I happen to be. I have no need for a 3G/4G plan for the device itself. It connects just fine to my HTC Trophy. Does that mean my tablet is a perfect mobile solution? No, it is not but mostly because none of the "Office apps" for Android tablets or the iPad are really up to the task for me. Does that mean it is just a toy? Again, no it does not. It has its limitations but it is certainly not a toy. Try walking around an archaeological site in the desert with a laptop in your hands. GPS plus tethering means I am connected and can check on something using real-time tracking on a screen a lot bigger than my handheld GPS unit and a lot more convenient than my laptop. It is, therefore, a convenient tool and certainly not a toy. That may be a very specific type of example but others can translate it into equally valid uses in their own lives.
    Kingsoft office with a Bluetooth keyboard is great.

I use my tablet every day for school (but I don't type notes, I write them on PDFs). I look at flash cards (those I do have to type on my PC). I look up the web. I read powerpoints and word docs. I read the news, forums and watch netflix at home.

I use my laptop ~4 hrs a week. I use my tablet around 30, and about 25 of those hrs is study.

Just my experience.

because...you can internet & email AND have great games and fun...anywhere

OK. I'm not disagreeing with this viewpoint. There's nothing wrong with toys and having fun. Maybe this is because I've never had a "smart phone" which everybody seems to have (and crave) these. Maybe I'm looking to the Nexus and iPad as "large screen" smart phones.

Surely a good "portable" device gives you lots of options to connect "in the field". Maybe I should just buy an iPhone5 ?
    I just returned from a business trip with my Nexus 7, after selling my old 3G equipped iPad, so this thread is timely.

I had WiFi while waiting in the airport. American Airlines has WiFi on board the plane, now. My hotel had free WiFi.

We attended the Reno Air Races during this trip. RARA had AT&T WiFi at the races, everywhere! I was amazed.

In short, there was practically no place on this trip where my Nexus 7 didn't work. For those places (in the cab, primarily) my Galaxy S3 worked fine.

A "toy" the Nexus 7 is not. It has become an essential business tool for me. (And I routinely set up my S3 as a WiFi hotspot, for those out of the way parts of the world that don't offer WiFi. Two buttons -- one one each device -- sets it up.)

Sent from my Nexus 7
    Thanked by:

Seriously, who other than a troll posts two identical threads stating "androids are toys, derp don't flame me"? I suppose the Dell laptop should have been the dead giveaway.
    1812dave likes this.

Global Posts
    89 Global Posts

The op sounds like a computer geek not willing to admit the PC is dead. We are in a post PC world now. He can complain about mobile internet connectivity with the n7 but that can also be said for most PC's.

Get a smartphone and tether your PC and tablet and see which one you use most. Everyone here can already tell you the answer.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:
    1812dave and Ry like this.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #37  

Wow ! I supposed I asked for some of that. Yes, I did make a provocative thread title. That said, it's amazing how my original intent has been mis-understood, and the assumptions that have been made about me. I've even been called a "geek" and a "troll".

Maybe I don't live in a country that has free and full (AP mode) wireless everywhere ?
    Maybe I don't have a mobile that I can tether to - "my smartphone works fine - get a better phone"

Once more, I'm NOT moaning that the N7 doesn't have 3G/4G and yes I appreciate that would increase its price.

I am commenting that the lack of support on ALL Android devices for "ad-hoc" Wi-Fi makes them (in some circumstances) less useful than other devices (eg Apple iPad) which can connect to basic wireless access points.

I do like the N7, it's another "step up" and I believe it will be looked back on as a "landmark" in the tablet market as that sector develops. Maybe my expectations are too high. I like the thought of a large screen, go anywhere, connect anywhere device. For many this is clearly their smartphone and not their tablet.
    Retired Moderator

ROM
    What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by jrwatson View Post
    Seriously, who other than a troll posts two identical threads stating "androids are toys, derp don't flame me"? I suppose the Dell laptop should have been the dead giveaway.
    No name calling, thanks.

Sent from my Overly Suspicious Robotic Grouper
    Retired Moderator

ROM
    What do you think?

Wow ! I supposed I asked for some of that. Yes, I did make a provocative thread title. That said, it's amazing how my original intent has been mis-understood, and the assumptions that have been made about me. I've even been called a "geek" and a "troll".

Maybe I don't live in a country that has free and full (AP mode) wireless everywhere ?
    Maybe I don't have a mobile that I can tether to - "my smartphone works fine - get a better phone"

Once more, I'm NOT moaning that the N7 doesn't have 3G/4G and yes I appreciate that would increase its price.

I am commenting that the lack of support on ALL Android devices for "ad-hoc" Wi-Fi makes them (in some circumstances) less useful than other devices (eg Apple iPad) which can connect to basic wireless access points.

I do like the N7, it's another "step up" and I believe it will be looked back on as a "landmark" in the tablet market as that sector develops. Maybe my expectations are too high. I like the thought of a large screen, go anywhere, connect anywhere device. For many this is clearly their smartphone and not their tablet.
    Fwiw I've never needed ad hoc wifi.

Sent from my Overly Suspicious Robotic Grouper

ROM
    EVO: CM7 / N7: Stock JB

I find it puzzling, the number of people who insist tablets are only toys, and not serious tools.

I wouldn't try to do serious coding or video editing on one, but then again, I wouldn't try to use a hammer to turn a nut. It's a different tool

Here's what I use mine for on a daily basis:

• Email
    • Personal scheduling
    • Direct communication (Skype/Google Talk/SMS/VoIP/etc)
    • Reading tech forums, blogs, newsfeeds, etc
    • Reading sheet music for live performance
    • Social networking

Granted, a desktop or laptop can also do all of those things, but they have a harder time fitting in my back pocket, so I'm far less likely to have a desktop or laptop computer with me at any given time.

Tablets are also good at games, apparently. If you buy one primarily to play games on, then yes, I would think of it as a toy. Same for desktops and laptops though.
    1812dave likes this.

most women are expensive toys too, just sayin
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #42  

This is interesting, if the aim is to have one device that "does all", does that have a bigger screen, or do you adopt the "hammer for nails", "screwdriver for screws" approach.

I agree 7" factor is about perfect (oo-er). It's interesting that the new iPhone has more "real estate". Maybe this is more about having one device (or not) - phone or tab and what size is the "ideal"

I suppose it's no great hardship to carry a good smartphone (to handle the comms) and a tablet for the great graphics and larger display.

Maybe I'm approaching this from the wrong direction. I'm prepared to consider that possibility.

---------- Post Merged at 10:47 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 10:46 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by JustinMueller8810 View Post
    LOL - Now that IS a new thread ! LOL

I'm actually completely against having a tablet with it's own 3G/4G radio, because the cellular networks change fast. I have a phone with FoxFi, which allows me to tether my cellular data to my tablet. Now, for example, T-mobile will be switching from HSPA+ to LTE, which would require a different cellular receiver, meaning if my tablet had it's own radio, it would be a problem after the change. With it being on my phone, I only have 1 device to switch instead of both devices.

Still, Tablets aren't really intended to replace either laptops or desktops, they're mostly media consumption devices. You can use it to do work though, but it's not that good at it. I use my Nexus 7 as a research tool when I'm at my help desk job. It's really good for looking up virus information when you're at a client's computer, and the device fits in my pants pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by rubrnek View Post
    The op sounds like a computer geek not willing to admit the PC is dead. We are in a post PC world now.
    Baloney, I like my smartphone & tablet, but neither is going to supply my needs when it comes to serious photo or video editing, or serious gaming.

ROM
    CM10 Alpha

Maybe its just me, but I've managed to get bluetooth tethering with my SGSII to work on the N7
    The Rogue Reindeer Strikes Again!

Global Posts
    831 Global Posts

If you root out you can just add a supplicant to allow ad-hoc networks leave the tab stock otherwise just an fyi

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    89 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by YAYTech View Post
    Baloney, I like my smartphone & tablet, but neither is going to supply my needs when it comes to serious photo or video editing, or serious gaming.
    You are the minority. Most people do not have the need to edit video and photos. Even Microsoft knows the PC is dead, just look at windows 8.

Quote Originally Posted by rubrnek View Post
    The op sounds like a computer geek not willing to admit the PC is dead. We are in a post PC world now. He can complain about mobile internet connectivity with the n7 but that can also be said for most PC's.

Get a smartphone and tether your PC and tablet and see which one you use most. Everyone here can already tell you the answer.

The PC market isn't dead, not by a long shot. Just because you don't use one doesn't mean there isn't a use for one. Businesses don't have employees sitting in cubicles typing spreadsheets and coding on smartphones. The mobile market still isn't as valuable (capital wise) as the PC market either. My desktop has more than 15 times more processing power than the best smartphone, with 24x more Ram. It runs 6 25inch monitors in almost double 1080p, so I can browse the web, watch TV and monitor multiple other tasks all at the same time with room to spare. It runs vivid virtual worlds that make anything on mobile look like they're from the N64 in comparison. When your smartphone can do that, you can tell me the PC market is dead.

Quote Originally Posted by JustinMueller8810 View Post
    Oh, snap.

Quote Originally Posted by YAYTech View Post
    Heh, I've used my iPad for prepping photos in the field before sending them to clients. Admittedly, it's not retouching studio work but for my needs (shooting runway fashion shots for example) it's more than good enough at this point.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast