Most Android Tablets are expensive toys

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Yup, it'll basically be good for occasionally checking email & directions, but media will need to be avoided. It's a lure, and last I looked I couldn't find details on any of the higher data plans to see if they're any different than the regular data plans.

Have they released data pertaining to overage charges? If it's reasonable then the plan is good. If they're the industry standard, well then, it's terrible lol.

monkeyluis

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Even if it had a 3G/4g option I'd still go wifi only. I am always home, I work from home. So I don't need another data plan anyway. I consume content on my devices, I treat it like the expensive gadgets that they are, not toys.

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
I'm probably going to get "flamed" for this post. I've owned a Flytouch Superpad III for over a year, fun, clunky, rubbish battery life. I ebayed it and bought the new Nexus 7 last month. I'm not an Apple fan, think they are pricey and have always applauded Linux from the early days (text based Red Hat with Samba) for their stand against the mighty Microsoft. So at last, a cool, high spec Android device...

OK it's impressive, super smooth, fast responsive screen, good battery life - BUT I've come to the conclusion that without 3G or 4G, what's the point of a "portable" device that isn't that portable ?

I have an old Dell 430 12" laptop. It has Bluetooth and Wi-Fi as standard. I bought a WWAN card (Toshiba) for ?10 from eBay and a ?15 1 year internet T-Mobile SIM card. It works and connects to the Internet (almost) anywhere. Oh (almost forgot) it's got a SSD too !

My point ? - I tried to "tether" the Nexus 7 to the Dell using Wi-Fi to get the "best of both Worlds". Guess what ? Android tablets don't support "ad-hoc" wireless internet connection sharing. iPad and iPhones do (ironically they don't need to !)

I'm sorry, its a TOY ! and so is the Acer and so is the Kindle Fire. Until these support 3G/4G keep your money in your pocket !

Your logic is ridiculous. Are laptops/desktops toys because they don't have 3G/4G? Besides, if you have a phone, you can tether and have data wherever you go. You're making yourself look foolish.

Sent from my One X using Android Central Forums

berrydroidapple

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I'm probably going to get "flamed" for this post. I've owned a Flytouch Superpad III for over a year, fun, clunky, rubbish battery life. I ebayed it and bought the new Nexus 7 last month. I'm not an Apple fan, think they are pricey and have always applauded Linux from the early days (text based Red Hat with Samba) for their stand against the mighty Microsoft. So at last, a cool, high spec Android device...

OK it's impressive, super smooth, fast responsive screen, good battery life - BUT I've come to the conclusion that without 3G or 4G, what's the point of a "portable" device that isn't that portable ?

I have an old Dell 430 12" laptop. It has Bluetooth and Wi-Fi as standard. I bought a WWAN card (Toshiba) for ?10 from eBay and a ?15 1 year internet T-Mobile SIM card. It works and connects to the Internet (almost) anywhere. Oh (almost forgot) it's got a SSD too !

My point ? - I tried to "tether" the Nexus 7 to the Dell using Wi-Fi to get the "best of both Worlds". Guess what ? Android tablets don't support "ad-hoc" wireless internet connection sharing. iPad and iPhones do (ironically they don't need to !)

I'm sorry, its a TOY ! and so is the Acer and so is the Kindle Fire. Until these support 3G/4G keep your money in your pocket !

I can see your point if you don't have an android phone or know how to hot spot.

I however pair my phone and nexus 7 for daily use. This is the same for those who do the same between iPhone and iPad.

My eyes are not what they used to be, so the 7 inch factor is important to me.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Android Central Forums

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Heck even my bionic is a free hotspot via Foxfi. Can't people figure out how to use free apps for free hot spotting. :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
Heck even my bionic is a free hotspot via Foxfi. Can't people figure out how to use free apps for free hot spotting. :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

If it's not preinstalled and located on their iPhone home screen, it doesn't exist.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I wish the Nexus 7 did have a cellular option. I do find the 7 inch form factor intriguing - to the point where I could consider going back to a dumbphone assisted by a cellular-enabled tablet.

That said, it's a flawed assessment by the OP since not all iPads have cellular and not all Android tablets are Wi-Fi only.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
I wish the Nexus 7 did have a cellular option. I do find the 7 inch form factor intriguing - to the point where I could consider going back to a dumbphone assisted by a cellular-enabled tablet.

That said, it's a flawed assessment by the OP since not all iPads have cellular and not all Android tablets are Wi-Fi only.

Isn't a 3G/4G N7 coming out this month?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Isn't a 3G/4G N7 coming out this month?

Unless it's coming with LTE, I'd say 3G.

But yeah, there's supposedly a cellular-enabled Nexus 7 in the works.

It would be a compelling option, IMO.

swyost

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site

With my shared VZW data plan, I can connect my Asus Transformer Prime wherever I happen to be. I have no need for a 3G/4G plan for the device itself. It connects just fine to my HTC Trophy. Does that mean my tablet is a perfect mobile solution? No, it is not but mostly because none of the "Office apps" for Android tablets or the iPad are really up to the task for me. Does that mean it is just a toy? Again, no it does not. It has its limitations but it is certainly not a toy. Try walking around an archaeological site in the desert with a laptop in your hands. GPS plus tethering means I am connected and can check on something using real-time tracking on a screen a lot bigger than my handheld GPS unit and a lot more convenient than my laptop. It is, therefore, a convenient tool and certainly not a toy. That may be a very specific type of example but others can translate it into equally valid uses in their own lives.

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
Unless it's coming with LTE, I'd say 3G.

But yeah, there's supposedly a cellular-enabled Nexus 7 in the works.

It would be a compelling option, IMO.

Already manufactured, just awaiting shipping. Pointless for anyone who has a phone though, tethering is free which makes it a better option.

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
With my shared VZW data plan, I can connect my Asus Transformer Prime wherever I happen to be. I have no need for a 3G/4G plan for the device itself. It connects just fine to my HTC Trophy. Does that mean my tablet is a perfect mobile solution? No, it is not but mostly because none of the "Office apps" for Android tablets or the iPad are really up to the task for me. Does that mean it is just a toy? Again, no it does not. It has its limitations but it is certainly not a toy. Try walking around an archaeological site in the desert with a laptop in your hands. GPS plus tethering means I am connected and can check on something using real-time tracking on a screen a lot bigger than my handheld GPS unit and a lot more convenient than my laptop. It is, therefore, a convenient tool and certainly not a toy. That may be a very specific type of example but others can translate it into equally valid uses in their own lives.

Kingsoft office with a Bluetooth keyboard is great.

jrsharp70

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
I use my tablet every day for school (but I don't type notes, I write them on PDFs). I look at flash cards (those I do have to type on my PC). I look up the web. I read powerpoints and word docs. I read the news, forums and watch netflix at home.

I use my laptop ~4 hrs a week. I use my tablet around 30, and about 25 of those hrs is study.

Just my experience.

jjhoneck

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
because...you can internet & email AND have great games and fun...anywhere

OK. I'm not disagreeing with this viewpoint. There's nothing wrong with toys and having fun. Maybe this is because I've never had a "smart phone" which everybody seems to have (and crave) these. Maybe I'm looking to the Nexus and iPad as "large screen" smart phones.

Surely a good "portable" device gives you lots of options to connect "in the field". Maybe I should just buy an iPhone5 ?

I just returned from a business trip with my Nexus 7, after selling my old 3G equipped iPad, so this thread is timely.

I had WiFi while waiting in the airport. American Airlines has WiFi on board the plane, now. My hotel had free WiFi.

We attended the Reno Air Races during this trip. RARA had AT&T WiFi at the races, everywhere! I was amazed.

In short, there was practically no place on this trip where my Nexus 7 didn't work. For those places (in the cab, primarily) my Galaxy S3 worked fine.

A "toy" the Nexus 7 is not. It has become an essential business tool for me. (And I routinely set up my S3 as a WiFi hotspot, for those out of the way parts of the world that don't offer WiFi. Two buttons -- one one each device -- sets it up.)

Sent from my Nexus 7

anon(924308)

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Seriously, who other than a troll posts two identical threads stating "androids are toys, derp don't flame me"? I suppose the Dell laptop should have been the dead giveaway.

rubrnek

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
The op sounds like a computer geek not willing to admit the PC is dead. We are in a post PC world now. He can complain about mobile internet connectivity with the n7 but that can also be said for most PC's.

Get a smartphone and tether your PC and tablet and see which one you use most. Everyone here can already tell you the answer.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

ManThatCan

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
Wow ! I supposed I asked for some of that. Yes, I did make a provocative thread title. That said, it's amazing how my original intent has been mis-understood, and the assumptions that have been made about me. I've even been called a "geek" and a "troll".

Maybe I don't live in a country that has free and full (AP mode) wireless everywhere ?
Maybe I don't have a mobile that I can tether to - "my smartphone works fine - get a better phone"

Once more, I'm NOT moaning that the N7 doesn't have 3G/4G and yes I appreciate that would increase its price.

I am commenting that the lack of support on ALL Android devices for "ad-hoc" Wi-Fi makes them (in some circumstances) less useful than other devices (eg Apple iPad) which can connect to basic wireless access points.

I do like the N7, it's another "step up" and I believe it will be looked back on as a "landmark" in the tablet market as that sector develops. Maybe my expectations are too high. I like the thought of a large screen, go anywhere, connect anywhere device. For many this is clearly their smartphone and not their tablet.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Seriously, who other than a troll posts two identical threads stating "androids are toys, derp don't flame me"? I suppose the Dell laptop should have been the dead giveaway.

No name calling, thanks.

Sent from my Overly Suspicious Robotic Grouper

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Wow ! I supposed I asked for some of that. Yes, I did make a provocative thread title. That said, it's amazing how my original intent has been mis-understood, and the assumptions that have been made about me. I've even been called a "geek" and a "troll".

Maybe I don't live in a country that has free and full (AP mode) wireless everywhere ?
Maybe I don't have a mobile that I can tether to - "my smartphone works fine - get a better phone"

Once more, I'm NOT moaning that the N7 doesn't have 3G/4G and yes I appreciate that would increase its price.

I am commenting that the lack of support on ALL Android devices for "ad-hoc" Wi-Fi makes them (in some circumstances) less useful than other devices (eg Apple iPad) which can connect to basic wireless access points.

I do like the N7, it's another "step up" and I believe it will be looked back on as a "landmark" in the tablet market as that sector develops. Maybe my expectations are too high. I like the thought of a large screen, go anywhere, connect anywhere device. For many this is clearly their smartphone and not their tablet.

Fwiw I've never needed ad hoc wifi. ;)

Sent from my Overly Suspicious Robotic Grouper

joe.mainusch

Aug 17, 2012
Visit site
I find it puzzling, the number of people who insist tablets are only toys, and not serious tools.

I wouldn't try to do serious coding or video editing on one, but then again, I wouldn't try to use a hammer to turn a nut. It's a different tool

Here's what I use mine for on a daily basis:

• Email
  • Personal scheduling
  • Direct communication (Skype/Google Talk/SMS/VoIP/etc)
  • Reading tech forums, blogs, newsfeeds, etc
  • Reading sheet music for live performance
  • Social networking

Granted, a desktop or laptop can also do all of those things, but they have a harder time fitting in my back pocket, so I'm far less likely to have a desktop or laptop computer with me at any given time.

Tablets are also good at games, apparently. If you buy one primarily to play games on, then yes, I would think of it as a toy. Same for desktops and laptops though.