Most Android Tablets are expensive toys

ManThatCan

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
I wish the Nexus 7 did have a cellular option. I do find the 7 inch form factor intriguing - to the point where I could consider going back to a dumbphone assisted by a cellular-enabled tablet.

That said, it's a flawed assessment by the OP since not all iPads have cellular and not all Android tablets are Wi-Fi only.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

This is interesting, if the aim is to have one device that "does all", does that have a bigger screen, or do you adopt the "hammer for nails", "screwdriver for screws" approach.

I agree 7" factor is about perfect (oo-er). It's interesting that the new iPhone has more "real estate". Maybe this is more about having one device (or not) - phone or tab and what size is the "ideal"

I suppose it's no great hardship to carry a good smartphone (to handle the comms) and a tablet for the great graphics and larger display.

Maybe I'm approaching this from the wrong direction. I'm prepared to consider that possibility.

---------- Post Merged at 10:47 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 10:46 AM ----------

most women are expensive toys too, just sayin

LOL - Now that IS a new thread ! LOL :)

ballistic90

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I'm actually completely against having a tablet with it's own 3G/4G radio, because the cellular networks change fast. I have a phone with FoxFi, which allows me to tether my cellular data to my tablet. Now, for example, T-mobile will be switching from HSPA+ to LTE, which would require a different cellular receiver, meaning if my tablet had it's own radio, it would be a problem after the change. With it being on my phone, I only have 1 device to switch instead of both devices.

Still, Tablets aren't really intended to replace either laptops or desktops, they're mostly media consumption devices. You can use it to do work though, but it's not that good at it. I use my Nexus 7 as a research tool when I'm at my help desk job. It's really good for looking up virus information when you're at a client's computer, and the device fits in my pants pocket.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
The op sounds like a computer geek not willing to admit the PC is dead. We are in a post PC world now.

Baloney, I like my smartphone & tablet, but neither is going to supply my needs when it comes to serious photo or video editing, or serious gaming.

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
If you root out you can just add a supplicant to allow ad-hoc networks leave the tab stock otherwise just an fyi

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

rubrnek

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Baloney, I like my smartphone & tablet, but neither is going to supply my needs when it comes to serious photo or video editing, or serious gaming.

You are the minority. Most people do not have the need to edit video and photos. Even Microsoft knows the PC is dead, just look at windows 8.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
The op sounds like a computer geek not willing to admit the PC is dead. We are in a post PC world now. He can complain about mobile internet connectivity with the n7 but that can also be said for most PC's.

Get a smartphone and tether your PC and tablet and see which one you use most. Everyone here can already tell you the answer.

The PC market isn't dead, not by a long shot. Just because you don't use one doesn't mean there isn't a use for one. Businesses don't have employees sitting in cubicles typing spreadsheets and coding on smartphones. The mobile market still isn't as valuable (capital wise) as the PC market either. My desktop has more than 15 times more processing power than the best smartphone, with 24x more Ram. It runs 6 25inch monitors in almost double 1080p, so I can browse the web, watch TV and monitor multiple other tasks all at the same time with room to spare. It runs vivid virtual worlds that make anything on mobile look like they're from the N64 in comparison. When your smartphone can do that, you can tell me the PC market is dead.

Sent from my One X using Android Central Forums

icwhatudidthere

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site

Heh, I've used my iPad for prepping photos in the field before sending them to clients. Admittedly, it's not retouching studio work but for my needs (shooting runway fashion shots for example) it's more than good enough at this point.

rubrnek

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
The PC market isn't dead, not by a long shot. Just because you don't use one doesn't mean there isn't a use for one. Businesses don't have employees sitting in cubicles typing spreadsheets and coding on smartphones. The mobile market still isn't as valuable (capital wise) as the PC market either. My desktop has more than 15 times more processing power than the best smartphone, with 24x more Ram. It runs 6 25inch monitors in almost double 1080p, so I can browse the web, watch TV and monitor multiple other tasks all at the same time with room to spare. It runs vivid virtual worlds that make anything on mobile look like they're from the N64 in comparison. When your smartphone can do that, you can tell me the PC market is dead.

You again are the minority. Business pc?s might last longer but the personal PC is dead. you are definitely a computer geek, most people could care less about what you can do on your PC and would rather spend the same money you spent for your PC on a car.

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
You again are the minority. Business pc?s might last longer but the personal PC is dead. you are definitely a computer geek, most people could care less about what you can do on your PC and would rather spend the same money you spent for your PC on a car.

If that were true, the PC market wouldn't be worth more than the mobile market.

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site

You have no idea how wrong you are lol :rolleyes:

rubrnek

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
You have no idea how wrong you are lol :rolleyes:

In the past whether you were consuming media or working, a PC was your only choice. The consumption market is now tending toward tablets.

Apparently you guys are slow adopters.

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
In the past whether you were consuming media or working, a PC was your only choice. The consumption market is now tending toward tablets.

Apparently you guys are slow adopters.

You still haven't addressed how the PC market is dead if it still is worth more than the mobile market. Your preference for mobile doesn't make PCs a thing of the past. I hate to break it to you, but the world needs more from technology than texting and Facebook.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
This is interesting, if the aim is to have one device that "does all", does that have a bigger screen, or do you adopt the "hammer for nails", "screwdriver for screws" approach.

I agree 7" factor is about perfect (oo-er). It's interesting that the new iPhone has more "real estate". Maybe this is more about having one device (or not) - phone or tab and what size is the "ideal"

I suppose it's no great hardship to carry a good smartphone (to handle the comms) and a tablet for the great graphics and larger display.

Maybe I'm approaching this from the wrong direction. I'm prepared to consider that possibility.

---------- Post Merged at 10:47 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 10:46 AM ----------

LOL - Now that IS a new thread ! LOL :)

Personally I'd consider the dumbphone + cellular-enabled small tablet as a way to free myself from technology. Tablet too large to carry on this trip? It has to stay home.

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
Personally I'd consider the dumbphone + cellular-enabled small tablet as a way to free myself from technology. Tablet too large to carry on this trip? It has to stay home.

That's implying that if you have to type anything/do actual businesses that an ultrabook or netbook won't take up less space than a tablet plus a Bluetooth keyboard. That also only applies to traveling. If you're at home, would you really rather do work on a tablet/cellphone over a PC?

rubrnek

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
You still haven't addressed how the PC market is dead if it still is worth more than the mobile market. Your preference for mobile doesn't make PCs a thing of the past. I hate to break it to you, but the world needs more from technology than texting and Facebook.

Just because it is worth more now doesn't mean it will be in the future.

I personally don't consider a tablet a mobile device some people buy laptops that never leave their homes, the same for tablets.

Facebook. Probably the number one thing people do on computers, and yet still more commonly done on smartphones and tablets .

tell me why the average person needs a computer instead of a tablet ?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
That's implying that if you have to type anything/do actual businesses that an ultrabook or netbook won't take up less space than a tablet plus a Bluetooth keyboard. That also only applies to traveling. If you're at home, would you really rather do work on a tablet/cellphone over a PC?

That's the point of carrying a dumbphone and cellular-enabled tablet. Getting away from work. I can take the tablet out with me if or when I need it. If I need to bring along a keyboard, I can. Different levels.

Windows 8 tablets are compelling to me. Things like the Transformer line from Asus and the now-dead Webtop functionality from Motorola are compelling to me.

If I'm at home, I'm definitely going to sit down at a PC, be it desktop or laptop.

I personally don't consider a tablet a mobile device some people buy laptops that never leave their homes, the same for tablets.

Facebook. Probably the number one thing people do on computers, and yet still more commonly done on smartphones and tablets .

Microsoft Word.

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site

I don't want probably I want raw numbers son don't make assumptions