Auto screen brightness goes up, but not down on nexus 7

tflash

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I found an odd problem with my N7 auto brightness feature.

If I put it under a light, it gets brighter - check.

If I go back into the dark, it stays bright until I toggle the screen on and off with the power button,
or if I toggle the auto brightness setting in the display area.

Has anyone seen this and is it a feature, or a bug?

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Llama's dev says that some devices' brightness doesn't adjust until the screen has turned off and on. Tried that?

Are you using the Android power dashboard?

// Posted from my Nexus 7 with the Android Central app :) //

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I don't use the auto feature on n7 but can tell u I've had three phones that do what u noticed--ie I had to toggle screen off/on to dim them after being in a bright area

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

tflash

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Llama's dev says that some devices' brightness doesn't adjust until the screen has turned off and on. Tried that?

Are you using the Android power dashboard?

// Posted from my Nexus 7 with the Android Central app :) //

Did you miss the part of my post that said, " it stays bright until I toggle the screen on and off with the power button?"

tflash

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
It will eventually readjust down. I think these algorithms error on the side of bright on purpose.

I thought that 'auto' meant automatic, in other words, no interaction from me.
If this is normal, I'm mad. If this is a bug, I want it fixed. I hope Google, or ASUS or whoever is in charge of this thing reads these forums. ;-)

I mean, why have a light sensor at all? Maybe that's why they didn't include a camera app. Because the light sensor is important to taking vids and pictures.

I tested the light sensor with a sensor test app. It's not the sensor, it's just the software that uses it is poorly written.

I'm finding that the HW on the N7 is good, but the SW mostly is lacking.
If it weren't for 3rd part developers, the N7 wouldn't be very useful.

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Did you miss the part of my post that said, " it stays bright until I toggle the screen on and off with the power button?"
Yes, I ignored that ;) ; but the critical point of my post is that an Android app developer has found that many devices behave this way by default. Excuse me for trying to help. I'll leave you alone now. :p :D

tflash

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I did the same thing. I missed the "Llama's dev says that" part of your post, mostly because I didn't know that "Llama's dev" meant "an Android app developer." Sorry for being such a noob.

My real question is WHY do they auto adjust up but not down? It's not like my "auto" car windows that go auto down, but not up due to safety. There is no reason for this.

Ok, I knew this was a problem.
Take that Google.

http://www.displaymate.com/AutoBrightness_Controls_2.htm

Last edited: