Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default music transfer to Nexus 7

Just got my Nexus 7 and tried to transfer music from my computer using USB cable. Files transfer but do not show up anywhere. Thought it would simply be a matter of transfer from My Music on computer to Nexus 7 and hey presto play them - not so. What am I doing wrong and how do I get them to play????

Default Re: music transfer to Nexus 7

When you transfer music, put it in the N7 music folder. Launch a music playing app, and it should find it there.
    A file manager might help.

Odd? Should just show up. I might recommend an app called isyncr, its a few bucks in the market but it works really well syncing iTunes and an android device. It has USB or WiFi sync and really straight forward.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Thanks for your speedy replies. As you can guess I am new to the Nexus 7 & this forum, but no doubt will be on here quite a lot.

I think I have answered my own problem even though my solution will be rather long. When I rip the music from the cd onto my computer I will change the format to MP3 and then when I sync the files to Nexus 7 they will be in the correct format to play them. Just means ripping all my music again from CD.

Quote Originally Posted by kalpat View Post
    Thanks for your speedy replies. As you can guess I am new to the Nexus 7 & this forum, but no doubt will be on here quite a lot.

I think I have answered my own problem even though my solution will be rather long. When I rip the music from the cd onto my computer I will change the format to MP3 and then when I sync the files to Nexus 7 they will be in the correct format to play them. Just means ripping all my music again from CD.
    Or use something other than Windows Media Player, which may not know the correct folder to drop music files in. I use Mediamonkey. It will convert format as it syncs.

// Posted from my Nexus 7 with the Android Central app :-) //
    Sent by accident, not using the Android Central app
    Nexus 4 (Mako), Amaze 4G on T-Mobile. Nexus 7 16GB. Google Chromebook (2012 Samsung 16gb). Next stop, a Google flush toilet.
    Did I solve your problem? Hit the Thanks button. Was I just a nuisance? Sorry, can't bat .400 every day.

I just downloaded converterlite to my PC ConverterLite – Audio and Video for DVD, iPhone, iPad, Android Smartphone, PS3, PSP and more! | ConverterLite is a free audio and video batch conversion program. converted my music to MP3 then transferred it to my Nexus 7, it was really simple, even I could do it

I only use lossless compression. MP3's are horrible. I'll never use them.
    Retired Moderator

ROM
    What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by tflash View Post
    I only use lossless compression. MP3's are horrible. I'll never use them.
    Amen to that.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

Windows media player probably converted your library to .wma. I noticed that my songs didn't show up either and I'm betting when I ripped all my CDs years ago that's what my PC did

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Use flac, it's lossless and the stock N7 music player will play them.
    Thanked by:
    dmmarck likes this.
    Retired Moderator

ROM
    What do you think?

Use flac, it's lossless and the stock N7 music player will play them.
    Does it? I haven't tried playing FLAC with standard Play Music in a while, but when I did it would never read. Used PowerAMP until the trial ran out for my FLAC files.
    Steve Pooley likes this.

It did on mine. The only other way I have to play music is with BubbleUnPN (It has a player as well as a client).
    They both play flac. The only problem is that Windose Media Player won't rip to flac. I had to use a file converter from to go from .wav to .flac. I use 123 Copy DVD gold for that.
    The files aren't that much smaller, maybe 1/3rd smaller, but I can't tell the difference when playing like I can with .mp3 at any bit rate.

Like you can tell on a mobile or 7 inch tablet! Hardly going to be in a quiet place while listening.

Quote Originally Posted by IMissMyPsion View Post
    Like you can tell on a mobile or 7 inch tablet! Hardly going to be in a quiet place while listening.
    How much do you enjoy your music if you listen to it in a noisy place?
    I agree with you about the noisy place, but also the earphones and speakers are not good enough to tell either, BUT ...

If the source of the music is quality, I still have the option of listening in a quiet place, or with a good speakers (Jambox, or home stereo).
    I value sound quality over file size.

Most people (and you) don't seem to care about quality, but care only about quantity.

FWIW, I often listen to ambient music ... You certainly can tell the difference between a 128kbps and a 320kbps file.
    Sent by accident, not using the Android Central app
    Nexus 4 (Mako), Amaze 4G on T-Mobile. Nexus 7 16GB. Google Chromebook (2012 Samsung 16gb). Next stop, a Google flush toilet.
    Did I solve your problem? Hit the Thanks button. Was I just a nuisance? Sorry, can't bat .400 every day.
    Thanked by:

When you transfer music, put it in the N7 music folder. Launch a music playing app, and it should find it there.
    A file manager might help.
    What about using Double Twist or Winamp?? (is Winamp avail for N7??)

How do you turn your CDs into MP3 files?

You can just use Windows Media Player, if you have a PC (or iTunes). Put the CD in your computer's CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive, open Windows Media Player, and choose Rip Music. There are a number of options you can adjust, like the type of music file to create, the sound quality, etc. If you need more help, you can Google it.

Quote Originally Posted by prettygirl40 View Post
    Seriously?

Seriously?
    Hey everyone has to learn somewhere
    B. Diddy and Scottdl7 like this.

That's what we're all here for.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by:

hmm.. guess im doing something wrong then. You drop in into the Music folder , right ? For some reason It works for mp3's , but not FLAC .

Seriously?
    People come here to learn and get advice , not to read comments like this and feel dumb for not knowing how to do something ... Not cool
    Thanked by 2:
    frankg73 likes this.

ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

Quote Originally Posted by prettygirl40 View Post
    ITunes is actually really good for this. The first thing you do is go into preferences and choose the import setting. Choose the mp3 format and the quality you prefer. I would recommend 256k or higher. Save and exit.

Put your cd in and wait for it to start in iTunes. Then just right click on the file in the list and choose make mp3 version. It will save it to a folder in your Music/iTunes directory by default.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums
    Android Evangelist
    HTC Desire + Samsung Galaxy SIIx + Transformer TF101 and Prime + Nexus 4

I will have to try using a FLAC digitizing application, but there has always been a tradeoff between the larger file sizes associated with better quality sound (more samples per sec) and storage limitations. You CAN use very high sampling rates with a MP3 ripper or even stick with the .wav format used on many distribution cds but I would rather have a more complete music selection of multiple thousands fit into my limited storage than have like 6 files in there total, ROFL.

As in anything, there are those who will simply not be satisfied by anything less than perfection and the rest of us who accept that a man has to know his limitations...

EDIT:

As I suspected :
    Tangerine Dream - Canyon Carver
    MP3 equals 4 MB
    FLAC equals 29 MB
    Last edited by bigtroutz; 12-09-2012 at 02:46 PM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast