Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Does it matter how long you leave N7 on charge

I know nothing about batteries and was wondering if it matters how long I leave the Nexus 7 on charge. Say I plug it in at night and leave it until the next night will it harm the battery? Is it better to unplug after 3/4 hours once fully charged, or doesn't it make any difference?

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

Default Re: Does it matter how long you leave N7 on charge

Don't worry about it. I leave mine and my phone plugged in overnight all the time. Nothing to stress

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:

I also wouldn't worry about it, though I might be completely wrong! I leave mine plugged in the majority of the time, since I seem to use it throughout the day and evening (the joys of being unemployed). I'm more worried about charging cycles, as this is what eventually leads to battery replacement. That probably won't occur until at least 500 recharges, but the longer I put it off, the better. However, I suspect that after 500 recharges, I'll be ready for the next version of the Nexus 7!

The only disadvantage to leaving it plugged in while using it (besides lack of portability) is that when it's at 100% battery charge, using wired headphones results in significant, annoying static. If it's not at 100% yet, everything sounds fine. I don't think this is due to a defective unit, as my first two units (returned due to bad screen lift and a very blown speaker) also had the problem. I think it's just an overall Nexus 7 problem. I've been meaning to search the forums about this issue. I guess I need to get a Bluetooth headset.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter. I still charge mine at low battery though.

Some guy explained to me that if you charge from 80% to 100%, that's a .20 charging cycle, as opposed to going from 4% to 100%, which then would be a .96 charging cycle.

Unless it says somewhere it is measured by times plugged in, I don't think it matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Solutions Etcetera View Post
    There are three things you want to avoid with lithium ion/polymer batteries...
    1). Inactivity
    2). Running them all the way down.
    3). Keeping it on a charger 24/7 (all rechargeables really).
    Leaving it plugged in overnite or even for a day or two is not a problem.
    I don't leave mine charging 24/7, but instead I unplug it every two to three days. I then use it for the day and plug it back in once it gets to around 15%. Then I leave it plugged in for another two to three days while using it.

What are your thoughts on that usage pattern?

Quote Originally Posted by Solutions Etcetera View Post
    Any rechargeable will lose life from constant charging voltage after a full charge (unless the charger is smart enough to shutdown current).... .
    Excellent response! Thanks! As you said, it's probably not worth worrying too much about, especially if the planned device upgrade cycle is one to two years. It sounds like unless I totally abuse the battery, it'll be just fine during this period. Thanks again!!

Probably not a good idea to let it fully discharge and then let it sit around for a few days. If you plan to store it or not use it for quite a while put 50-60% charge on it and turn it off completely. Haven't seen any complaints on this thread but Blackberry Playbook owners can have difficulty in recharging if they let the battery go down too far. The charger is supposed to be smart as is the tablet and not let the battery get overcharged or run down too far.

Hi,

My company is interested in using Nexus 7s as a display for conference rooms to show the meeting going on in the room. Therefore, we want to keep the tablets plugged in 24/7. With the current Asus tablets we have, the batteries warmed up and expanded, so we removed them. Obviously we can't do that with the Nexus 7. Has anyone had trouble with the battery getting to warm or expanding when keeping the Nexus 7 plugged in for an extended period of time?

Thanx.

Global Posts
    224 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Norton Lam View Post
    Hi,

My company is interested in using Nexus 7s as a display for conference rooms to show the meeting going on in the room. Therefore, we want to keep the tablets plugged in 24/7. With the current Asus tablets we have, the batteries warmed up and expanded, so we removed them. Obviously we can't do that with the Nexus 7. Has anyone had trouble with the battery getting to warm or expanding when keeping the Nexus 7 plugged in for an extended period of time?

Thanx.
    Charging it does get hot but once it gets to 100 it does seem to cool down.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

The circuitry inside the tablet should sense when the charging is complete so that it'll stop charging. Since there is no charge being applied, overheating and battery expansion should not be an issue once it's full. In theory, as long as the tablet is working properly, you can keep it plugged in for however long and it should not have adverse affects on the battery.

With reference to Norton Lam's post about leaving the Nexus 7 as a display.

If you are using as a display you will be using power all the time and generating heat. You should mount it in such a way that air can circulate around it to remove that heat. Charging at the same time will generate additional heat. You can use apps such as Gauge Battery and Battery Doctor to check on how the unit is doing. Since charging proceeds at a lower rate for the 75-100% range I would expect the balancing out to occur somewhere around the 75% charge. It is possible that you won't be able to charge fast enough to meet the demand particularly if you have the screen brightness setup high. My Asus charger only inputs about 0.9 amps even though it is supposed to have a 1.8 amp capacity.

from a BB Playbook or HP Touchpad or N7
    Thanked by:
    TinBin