android keyboard has no cursor key movement or delete/insert options.

tflash

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I am frustrated by trying to type without arrow keys to back up the cursor when typing.
Also, I use the del key a lot and sometimes the insert key when I'm typing on a computer.

Am I missing something on the keyboard?

Maybe I'll have to try the app store for a program to replace the 'system' programs. (AGAIN!)

If every system app has to be replaced by a 3rd party app then at least let me delete them instead of just being able to 'disable' them.
This is just a storage memory waste. ( I think this the sneaky part of Google's business plan to get people to use the cloud and the idea of 'borrowed' content.)

psyke45

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
touch the screen where you want to bring your cursor to..pretty simple really and faster than tapping an arrow key multiple times *shrug*

tflash

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I'm using hacker 's keyboard. It's the only one that uses arrow keys. It doesn't use key clicks, but I actually miss them.

MJKearney

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
There are a lot of alternate keyboards available, some free (Hacker's), some paid (SwiftKey) as others have mentioned. Currently, SwiftKey 3 for Tablets doesn't have arrow keys (to be added soon, they say), but the phone version does. Anyway, try out different ones and see what you like.

Also, no operating system, including Android, will give 100% of users 100% of the things they want (some people like arrow keys, some don't). It's impossible to do. That's why they all offer 3rd party apps. You can customize your gadget as you wish, and override the built-in interface. Be thankful you have an Android device, and especially a Nexus 7, because compared to say, an Apple iSomething, you can customize it much more easily and extensively, and truly make it your own.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

tflash

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
touch the screen where you want to bring your cursor to..pretty simple really and faster than tapping an arrow key multiple times *shrug*

So you're saying that when you're typing on a keyboard on a computer with a mouse, and you make a mistake in the middle of a sentence, that moving your hand to the mouse to reposition the cursor then moving it back to the keyboard to type is faster? My finger is not as presice as a mouse pointer and positioning a cursor with touch controls is just to 'fiddly.'

Never mind - Hacker keyboard in landscape mode is what I'm looking for.

I still think that google apps (except for maps, earth, search and gmail, even the nav app won't reroute without WiFi, where CoPilot will.) are all lacking in features or feature implementaion.
They should have just left it blank of apps and gave me $50 credit on the GP store.
The junk Google apps are just taking up valuable storage space and they can't be removed.
If I root it, can I reclaim this space?

psyke45

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
So you're saying that when you're typing on a keyboard on a computer with a mouse, and you make a mistake in the middle of a sentence, that moving your hand to the mouse to reposition the cursor then moving it back to the keyboard to type is faster?

ah, but that's different, because you have to reach over, grab another device, find your mouse cursor, etc... If my monitor were touch screen however, I could easily see my self typing a way, making a mistake, and swiping the offending error :)

Never mind - Hacker keyboard in landscape mode is what I'm looking for.

Everyone has their preference, so I'm glad you found yours

Cheers!

tflash

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
There are a lot of alternate keyboards available, some free (Hacker's), some paid (SwiftKey) as others have mentioned. Currently, SwiftKey 3 for Tablets doesn't have arrow keys (to be added soon, they say), but the phone version does. Anyway, try out different ones and see what you like.

Also, no operating system, including Android, will give 100% of users 100% of the things they want (some people like arrow keys, some don't). It's impossible to do. That's why they all offer 3rd party apps. You can customize your gadget as you wish, and override the built-in interface. Be thankful you have an Android device, and especially a Nexus 7, because compared to say, an Apple iSomething, you can customize it much more easily and extensively, and truly make it your own.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

I might be able to 'truly make it my own' if they let me actually delete the 'system' apps that are almost all being replaced on my N7.

Akshay Agarwal

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
hi i came across this forum and understand your frustration. i just ca me across tyype keyboard today. try it out. it isnt the best out there but very close to the tweak which made my iphone rock-swipeselection. check it out on youtube. If something like that comes up itll be really great. Just wanted to share this.

zmagicx

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
If you need to add the cursor keys back to your keyboard, you can do it here: Settings > Language & Keyboard > HTC Sense Input > Arrow Keys. This is a toggle to turn them on or off. This used to be the default with the last version but, the latest version switched the default to off. I have trouble touching exactly where I want the cursor to go and have spent too much time trying to mess with it. The arrow keys really help in these situations.

rpwl

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
No HTC Sense Input

I'd like to follow the procedure given on 8-23-13 by zmagicx, because I like the button on the Android 4.0.3 keyboard for voice input in a text box, but when I go to "Language & Keyboard," there is no option for "HTC Sense Input." This may be because most htcsense.com services are currently unavailable right now due to renovation. Any suggestions on another method to get the cursors on Android 4.0.3 (I have them on my other HTC with Android 2.3.5.), or do I just need to wait for htcsense.com to finish renovation? I may install Hacker's Keyboard for now to get the cursors, and switch back if I want to use voice input in a text box.

ognik

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
that would be a solution - if it was always possible to be accurate. But when you miss by character? Nice to have a 'del' to help you out .... And my question is - why take out the del anyway, what harm was it doing?

Jeremy Brandon

Jun 22, 2014
Visit site
the problem with that is the inability to delete the stock google apps. If you don't like it, then you can't get rid of it because it is a system app, and therefore takes up valuable storage space on your phone while you use a better 3rd party app.

AnilGidwani

Jan 23, 2015
Visit site
Android has been designed to take away all productivity features - all under the guise of 'customizability'. Missing cursor keys, inability to use SD cards to install applications, very unintuitive cut-and-paste, e-mail working off and on, home screen icons changing position randomly, timers and profile software not working randomly (even third-party), phone volume randomly going down to almost zero making one miss calls, multiple keystrokes to reach applications, calendar entries mysteriously disappearing if you use Google calendar, applications purchased on Google play store remaining on the play store. You name any productivity-robbing feature, and Android has it, ready to be 'productively customized' from its store of half-baked applications. Making calls is difficult, editing text is difficult, the phone is difficult.

That's what you get with a free OS which turns into a near monopoly managed by an apparently unscrupulous company.

Give me an old-style Nokia that just works!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Thanks for your opinion, but it's one that I don't share, and I would imagine that the large majority here also doesn't share. Android is not "designed to take away all productivity features." Cursor keys are easily obtained by installing a keyboard like SwiftKey. SD cards were never primarily intended for app installation--they were always best used for media storage, and it's always been best to get a phone with as much internal storage as you can afford. The cut & paste feature is pretty simple--long press the text, adjust the brackets, and cut or copy, then long press somewhere else and paste. I've never had an email problem (but maybe that's because I stick with Gmail, which imports my Yahoo mail as well). You don't need multiple keystrokes to reach an application if you just place the shortcut on a homescreen. Your other complaints sound like they may be related more to the particular device you had, rather than Android in general.

Integr8er

May 21, 2015
Visit site
Sorry this is NOT a reasonable solution since the dang screen is so freekin small I can never touch the spot I want, so then when and not if the cursor lands in the middle of the word I can backspace and get half the word gone, but now what do I do. I'll tell you I try again, then again, then again, then I throw the dang thing in the lake!