Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Lost password...need hard reset help

    I am trying to hard reset a nexus 7 which is password protected. I have followed all the steps for a hard reset. When I try to boot into recovery mode without plugging into my computer it freezes on the Google screen during reboot. If I plug into the computer before I try to reboot into recovery mode the hardware buttons don't work at all. If worse comes to worse I guess it'll have to be returned but I would like to avoid that if at all possible. Thanks for any help.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
  2. #2  
    2defmouze's Avatar

    Posts
    5,825 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

    Default Re: Lost password...need hard reset help

    You cannot boot into recovery from the bootloader (as I'm guessing you mean) without being plugged into a computer... it's a known bug with the Nexus 7's bootloader. Although that doesn't explain why your hardware buttons wouldn't work when in recovery. However you can get around the issue by just using a recovery that uses the touch screen. The newer CWM version 6.0.1.0 available here (scroll down to Google Nexus 7) ... or TWRP available here ..... are both touch-screen interfaces. I personally recommend TWRP. Both of the files are .img files which need to be flashed via fastboot (bootloader) on to your device, our guides on unlocking and rooting can provide more info on using fastboot if you are unsure.
    Thanked by:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

    Default Re: Lost password...need hard reset help

    Quote Originally Posted by 2defmouze View Post
    You cannot boot into recovery from the bootloader (as I'm guessing you mean) without being plugged into a computer... it's a known bug with the Nexus 7's bootloader. Although that doesn't explain why your hardware buttons wouldn't work when in recovery. However you can get around the issue by just using a recovery that uses the touch screen. The newer CWM version 6.0.1.0 available here (scroll down to Google Nexus 7) ... or TWRP available here ..... are both touch-screen interfaces. I personally recommend TWRP. Both of the files are .img files which need to be flashed via fastboot (bootloader) on to your device, our guides on unlocking and rooting can provide more info on using fastboot if you are unsure.
    I am completely new to unlocking and rooting. I did take a look at your guide to doing it earlier. I'd like to give it a try tomorrow when I have a lot of time to spare, if your available. In the meantime I'll locate and download fastboot for windows as well as the TWRP files. Thanks a lot.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Lost password...need hard reset help

    Do a factory restore since you are fine with a factory reset. It makes you tablet new as you bought it.

    here is a generic guide. there are many guide for a factory restore. google it. How-To Unlock Bootloader/Factory Restore/Root any NEXUS device
    Thanked by:
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

    Default Re: Lost password...need hard reset help

    Quote Originally Posted by still1 View Post
    Do a factory restore since you are fine with a factory reset. It makes you tablet new as you bought it.

    here is a generic guide. there are many guide for a factory restore. google it. How-To Unlock Bootloader/Factory Restore/Root any NEXUS device
    will I need fastboot to use this method? I'm in the process of downloading and installing java and the android sdk now.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

    Default Re: Lost password...need hard reset help

    No need for fastboot or anything else. I followed the steps in your guide as far as installing the USB driver. Once it was installed, the hardware buttons began to work and allowed me to do a factory reset. Thanks for the pointing me in the right direction!


    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Lost password...need hard reset help

    Quote Originally Posted by efyoiphone View Post
    No need for fastboot or anything else. I followed the steps in your guide as far as installing the USB driver. Once it was installed, the hardware buttons began to work and allowed me to do a factory reset. Thanks for the pointing me in the right direction!


    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
    glad it worked you you. fastboot is needed only for flashing factory image or pushing files to SD card etc.
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Lost password...need hard reset help

    Quote Originally Posted by still1 View Post
    Do a factory restore since you are fine with a factory reset. It makes you tablet new as you bought it. Here is a generic guide. there are many guide for a factory restore. google it.
    Oh my goodness. I took a look at that stuff and it's so way over my head. Is there anything I can do ahead of time to prepare....just in case? Apologies in advance if I haven't understood the problem or framed my question correctly.

    If I understand the problem, you can't do a factory reset if you can't open your tablet due to it being password protected.

    Speaking of password, do you use a password, PIN or face recognition? I haven't secured my tablet yet but feel I should in case it gets lost or left somewhere.

    Thank you.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

    Default Re: Lost password...need hard reset help

    Quote Originally Posted by tabletnovice View Post
    Oh my goodness. I took a look at that stuff and it's so way over my head. Is there anything I can do ahead of time to prepare....just in case? Apologies in advance if I haven't understood the problem or framed my question correctly.

    If I understand the problem, you can't do a factory reset if you can't open your tablet due to it being password protected.

    Speaking of password, do you use a password, PIN or face recognition? I haven't secured my tablet yet but feel I should in case it gets lost or left somewhere.

    Thank you.
    This N7 wasn't mine it was a family member's whose son setup a security pattern and couldn't remember it. From what I found when researching the hard reset (whether locked or unlocked) is that in order to do it the device had to be plugged into the USB port of your computer or it would freeze when you attempted the reset. My problem was that when I plugged into the USB I could enter the bootloader but the hardware buttons would not work. Making it impossible to select the factory restore option and reboot. Apparently this was because I didn't have the Google USB driver installed on my computer because once I installed it the hardware buttons began to work while the N7 was connected. I didn't go any further through the steps in the guide since my problem was solved. I have bookmarked the guide though because it was very easy to follow.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Lost password...need hard reset help

    Quote Originally Posted by efyoiphone View Post
    Apparently this was because I didn't have the Google USB driver installed on my computer because once I installed it the hardware buttons began to work while the N7 was connected. I didn't go any further through the steps in the guide since my problem was solved. I have bookmarked the guide though because it was very easy to follow.
    Where do you get the Google USB driver for your computer. Also, if you solved the problem by going through this process, couldn't anyone with a little knowledge? Seems kind of contrary to using a password. Again, I may be misunderstanding but I'm really trying to understand.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

    Default Re: Lost password...need hard reset help

    Quote Originally Posted by tabletnovice View Post
    Where do you get the Google USB driver for your computer. Also, if you solved the problem by going through this process, couldn't anyone with a little knowledge? Seems kind of contrary to using a password. Again, I may be misunderstanding but I'm really trying to understand.
    The USB driver is included in the Android SDK. If you follow the first 4 steps in the guide you will have it. It was very easy to do because the guide is simple and to the point. I agree that anyone with a little knowledge could do it but then again the people with the knowledge aren't usually the type to steal other people's property.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Lost password...need hard reset help

    Help! Locked out of my phone, Google login doesn't work, hard reset won't work!

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 79
    Last Post: 04-14-2014, 08:32 PM
  2. Is this a Hard Reset? See picture in post, Need Help Fast!
    By crazy4my2monkeys in forum HTC EVO 4G LTE
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-13-2012, 02:14 PM
  3. Need help... hard reset gone wrong
    By cmdr430 in forum Google Nexus 7 Tablet (2012)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-31-2012, 10:12 PM
  4. help please! Mytouch froze, hard reset wont work :(
    By Nani in forum T-Mobile myTouch 3G
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-14-2010, 05:59 PM
  5. Please help: Need to recover after hard reset
    By rockhead11 in forum HTC Hero
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-15-2010, 01:31 PM

Posting Permissions

B