Nexus 7 died

Jalee2012

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
I was using my N7 last night, and was playing a game while waiting for the battery to charge. I went to click on my home screen to check an email, and all of a sudden my screen went static (like an old t.v that lost signal), and started making a hissing sound, I noticed the back of the device felt hot to the touch so I unplugged it. The screen went black. I left it alone for half an hour so that it would cool down, now it won't charge or turn on :(. Before that it was a great little device, no screen issues, no dead pixels, but it concerns me to get another one with all the glitches I have been hearing about. What are the suggestions, should I replace it with the same device or get something different?

Thanks

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I was using my N7 last night, and was playing a game while waiting for the battery to charge. I went to click on my home screen to check an email, and all of a sudden my screen went static (like an old t.v that lost signal), and started making a hissing sound, I noticed the back of the device felt hot to the touch so I unplugged it. The screen went black. I left it alone for half an hour so that it would cool down, now it won't charge or turn on :(. Before that it was a great little device, no screen issues, no dead pixels, but it concerns me to get another one with all the glitches I have been hearing about. What are the suggestions, should I replace it with the same device or get something different?

Thanks

That's a shame.. haven't heard of that. I would just replace it.

Scott99

May 27, 2010
Visit site
That really is a shame. I've never heard of that issue yet. I can't imagine getting another one, would cause you problems. best of luck to you.

moeffju

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
Exact same thing just happened to me. I was playing Plague, Inc. while charging my Nexus 7. Suddenly the Nexus crashed, the screen showed pixelly static (blocks of color), the speaker made a hiss, and the device shut off. No matter what keys I tried, it wouldn't turn back on. Did you have any luck getting it back to life, or did you end up exchanging it?

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site

Thanks

Call Nexus support. They're really good with replacing devices for free. Discover Nexus Devices (click "support")

jaxjagphan8

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
The same thing happened to me. I called the number of the Nexus support and they said they can't help me b/c i bought mine at walmart (and walmart said since i had it 16 days i can't get it replaced either and have to call ASUS. its becoming very frustrating). All i want is a tablet that works

balus3u

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
Can you post a picture of it?I don't think your nexus is dead. how does the power button works?do you have root access?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

jaxjagphan8

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
i think mine has a glitch now that it shuts off at about 50% battery life. the first crash happened around there, and the second one that just occured was around 50 something and then it told me plug in to a power source and it shut down and would not restart until i plugged it in

on a side note, what is the best way to contact ASUS support, i tried sending an email, but i couldnt find the nexus 7 under a category, and i really don't want to be one the phone forever (although if i have to i will)

kvasir719

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
This exact same thing just happened to me. I was playing a game (great little war game) and the screen went static, made the hiss sound, and now it's a brick. I guess the commonality here is using the device while it's plugged in. I've only had the tablet a week, I purchased it through google play, we'll see how it easy it is to return. I'll be asking for a refund, not a replacement. Maybe spend a little more money and get a device I can rely on.

UPDATE: I was able to reactivate the device by performing a hard reset. Depress the "Volume Down" and "Power" buttons at the same time. I tried this initially and it seemed not to work. Google informed me that I should hold the buttons for up to a solid minute! At about 45 seconds it came back to life.

Last edited:

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
The same thing happened to me. I called the number of the Nexus support and they said they can't help me b/c i bought mine at walmart (and walmart said since i had it 16 days i can't get it replaced either and have to call ASUS. its becoming very frustrating). All i want is a tablet that works

Call again. Overheating while using the stock charger under normal use should easily be a warranty issue.

Note to self: Stop using Nexus when plugged in.

MJKearney

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
I've used mine plenty while plugged in, both for CPU intensive gaming and lightweight Android Central forum reading (not that you guys are lightweights). I've never had a problem. But after reading this, I'm starting to get a little paranoid! I might have to unplug and cycle that battery more often!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

kvasir719

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
I was able to bring it back to life with a hard reset. This was the first thing I tried, of course, I apparently gave up too soon. You have to hold the volume down and power buttons for almost a solid minute before it resets.

roblox84

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
It happened to me too. I was using Chrome and the screen went static, only no hissing sound. I had to hold down the power key for a while to turn the tablet off but it did luckily come back on.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

undermeind1

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Mine done the same thing yesterday. It was like it was an old analog television losing reception...it went to all black & white static while making a hissing noise and lost power after about 20 seconds of that. I was making a mad dash for a camera and it quit before I could find one. :'(

UPDATE: It didnt die...it just took an odd powernap. Seems this happens predictably if the battery becomes very low while the charger is plugged in (using more electricity than the charger can supply)...give it a break and let it get to at least 5-10% before trying to play your games again...

It's still a freaky kinda way for this thing to die...and it does need a hard reset (volume down and power button held for ~45seconds) to even show the battery charging indicator. While holding the buttons down, if you let up at all, you may need to start your count over...easiest way to know when you're good to press power and start over is if you're in a dark area...you can actually see the screen still lit up (dark dark gray). It will go true black when the power is off after ~45 seconds.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tgksnow