Recent Nexus 7 Quality Control

AstronomerXI

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
My almost 2-week-old C80 has zero visible defects. I suspect in any product that in all of the manufacturing series the percentage of defects is very small. As the product matures, manufacturing issues decline. Satisfied people comment far less than unhappy customers, so initially we see more reports of issues and they get amplified, especially if expectations of the product are high.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
My almost 2-week-old C80 has zero visible defects. I suspect in any product that in all of the manufacturing series the percentage of defects is very small. As the product matures, manufacturing issues decline. Satisfied people comment far less than unhappy customers, so initially we see more reports of issues and they get amplified, especially if expectations of the product are high.

Yeah. I agree that there are probably some perfect units out there. I'm just one of those people who has had 3 different ones each with the same defect to some degree.

Ravynmagi

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Google's return policy, if you bought it from them, doesn't have to do with the warranty, though. It's just a short term return policy that I think they call buyer's remorse, similar to most retailers. I think their policy gives you a 15 day return window, whereas Staples, Best Buy, etc. usually have 30 day policies. After the return period is over, you'll have to deal with the warranty process through Asus, which means you'd be without your N7 for a few weeks.

I preordered my Nexus 7 from Google Play and they are still handling my warranty requests directly. Haven't had to deal with ASUS. I'm under the impression Google Play customers won't ever have to deal with ASUS.

AstronomerXI

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Yeah. I agree that there are probably some perfect units out there. I'm just one of those people who has had 3 different ones each with the same defect to some degree.

I recently had a client have a 50 percent failure rate on motherboards from a name-brand PC manufacturer. They bought dozens of these systems. Turns out a bad BIOS controller from one source was the problem. That series was produced over 5 weeks and affected a small percentage of systems relative to the amount produced. The manufacturer owned up to the problem and replaced them all at no additional cost. It definitely sucks to get one or more of those defective units, but kudos to those manufacturers who put customer service first.

MJKearney

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
I preordered my Nexus 7 from Google Play and they are still handling my warranty requests directly. Haven't had to deal with ASUS. I'm under the impression Google Play customers won't ever have to deal with ASUS.

Hi. Yes, it's possible you are correct. However, I suspect that after the first 15 days, it would turn into a warranty issue where you'd have to send it in for repair instead of exchanging it for a new unit.

Google might also be a little more liberal with this policy during the first few months of release, allowing exchanges after the 15 day return window. But at some point it's going to turn into a warranty repair scenario, whether it's handled through Google or directly through Asus.

My 3rd N7 seems fine, so hopefully I won't have to find out first hand about this!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

smoledman

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
I think the real issue is that the Nexus 7 has had bad batches. So if you're an unlucky person and got one of those, you're hosed there. Meaning everyone who got a Nexus 7 from that bad batch would end up with problems. Apple has had plenty of bad batches of iPads, iMacs, iPhones, you name it. This simply happens in any mass production effort. The key thing is to figure out the mistakes of what's happening with either batches of components of on the manufacturing line and fix them promptly. Consumers do not have an expectation of 100% perfection over their lifetime of buying electronics. Not even with Apple. The reason why Apple gets the highest consumer satisfaction is they will tirelessly exhange your broken iPhone 10x in a row if needed.

anon(924308)

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I recently had a client have a 50 percent failure rate on motherboards from a name-brand PC manufacturer.
Hehhehheh was a this name-brand PC named Dell? My $1000 Dell laptop died within the first hour of use. Then the replacement unit's motherboard died a few months after so it had to be replaced. Then the fan stopped working, causing it to overheat within minutes (coating on bottom melted/chipped away) . Then it finally died a month out of warranty.

My C80's hardware is fine. Makes some faint clicking noises when I wiggle it gently though, makes me worried a light drop will pop the screen. I've had a few issues with 'settings' crashing, but nothing serious.

MangoPowah

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
C80 with minor screen lift from Walmart, but it isn't that bad. Got it last week and it hasn't gotten any worse.

enb123

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Too bad - I was hoping to pick one up for Christmas, but that sounds like a deal breaker.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Anyone got anything new? I'm still trying to decide between this, an iPad mini, and a Nexus 10. I much prefer the smaller tablets, however.

carracerz14

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
I've had 4 (two 16s first returned because of dust under the screen, the second because it was already used when I got it) and two 32 gbs(first returned because I broke the screen) and neither of them have had any screen issues except for the first one with the dust, but that's a rare manufacturer defect.

Sent from my RAZR MAXXIMUS ;)

stoneysilence

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
How do you find out what cxx you have? I got mine like day 1 at staples so I think mine is a 40c (as per the about).

No problems as of yet screen wise or anything else really.

Eduardo06sp

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
How do you find out what cxx you have? I got mine like day 1 at staples so I think mine is a 40c (as per the about).

I believe it's the build number. Mine is a 40C. Ironically, I got it from MacMall.

SithLord0498

Aug 9, 2012
Visit site

Check the label on the bottom of the N7 box. Go down to the fourth bar code on the left side, and above it will be an SSN number. Look at the first three characters. That's how you know.

I bought mine about two weeks ago from Staples, and it's from the C90 batch. No screen lift at all so far. No light bleeding either. It does feel like it'll break if dropped even slightly though, but that could just be paranoia from having read all the horror stories of bad N7 batches. I just make sure I grab and hold the device right in the middle when moving it. My ZAGG Invisible Shield is pretty good with not getting smudged with fingerprints.

SIDE NOTE: I bought the ZAGG made for the original Kindle Fire instead of the N7 because I was able to get the new "Invisible Shield HD" version with glass-like surface and optimization for HD screens (the Fire's width is an exact match and it's only a few millimeters shorter than the N7). They haven't released an HD shield for the Nexus yet, but the Kindle shield fits beautifully and doesn't obscure the front camera at all.