Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Protective case or protection plan

I got my N7 from Office Depot. It was a C8O and is perfectly built. No screen lift at all.
    They offered my a $40 protection plan which I declined, but got a screen protector.

They had one overpriced screen protector available ( Wrapsol ) for $25.

I got home and read about how easy it is to break. One drop even on carpet and it could be toast.
    People on the internet talk a lot about 'gorilla glass' and I wish it would stop. The N7 does not have 'gorilla glass'.

So I went around to find a case. OD didn't have any cases, and it took me about 2 seconds to realize why.
    They would rather push the protection plans than carry cases. (Would they replace it for just a scratch on the screen?)

So which would you rather have, a protective case or a protection plan?

Default Re: Protective case or protection plan

Case, hands down! The protection plans for electronics are worthless to the consumer. It's just a scam. I don't know about the glass, but all things electronic are fragile in my book so care in handling is in order. As for screen protectors, I've read that none is needed, but I personally disagree. Since I do not know the make up of the glass I feel better with a protector. That said I would never use ANYTHING with adhesive application on the screen, I don't care what the manufacture or salesperson claims. I found static-cling screen protectors at Big Lots of all places, 2 per pack, includes a micro fiber cloth for $5. I could not find anything like that on Amazon. I'm going back for another pack as a backup if they still have them.
    As for cases - search Amazon, I got two there and there are plenty to choose from for the N7.

I usually do not buy protection plans. The one time I did, I actually used it. lol!

When I charge the FULL price of a item, I get a free extended warranty from my credit card company. The operative word is to charge the FULL price; don't pay part with a gift card or cash (not sure about a store credit). It doubles the manufacturer's warranty up to one year. Unlike some store extended warranties, it does not cover things such as accidents.

A few months ago, my hard drive died on my notebook, which was only 14 months old. I made a claim and got almost the entire repair costs back from Visa.

Check with your credit card company to see if they offer the free extended warranty and their requirements if you need to file a claim in the future.

btw, I buy a good number of electronic gadgets, mostly digital cameras. Most have never needed repair. Money-wise, I'm ahead of the game compared to if I bought warranties for each of them.

As an aside, my daughter has an i-phone and two young children who like to Facetime on it. We decided to get an extended warranty that covers most everything, including dropping.
    Last edited by tabletnovice; 09-26-2012 at 06:14 PM.

Most of the time I don't go for protection plans, as I am very careful with my devices. However, if I were a bit more clumsy, or had kids, or a clumsy wife, I would be more apt to consider a plan if it covered accidents. I usually don't go for non-accident covering plans unless they're for a long timeframe and are dirt cheap on a pricey item. They can pay off, but usually don't - that's the name of the game, just like any kind of insurance.

I did get a case for mine, as I take it with me everywhere, and don't want to have to worry about setting it down, etc. So far so great.

Hmm, I forgot about Squaretrade. I took two warrantys out with them in the past and never needed to use them. I'm wondering if I should purchase a policy through them for my N7. I'm real careful with it, it's in a case and never used or will be used naked. It also spends 97% of the time at safely at home. The only thing worth covering for it would be accident, but that is extra, don't know how much extra though. N7 comes with a 1-year manufacture warranty (like everything) excluding accidents of course and the Square trade would just give it a extra year. (The clock starts ticking the minute you purchase coverage, but you only have a window of 30 days to decide to purchase or not.

Before you buy a Squaretrade plan, take a look at Worth Avenue Group. They off accidental protection insurance that is pretty cheap with $0 deductible.

You can buy a one year (renewable) policy for $30 that covers up to $300 with $0 deductible for any (non Apple) tablet. Use the discount code "springtech" to save 15% and it only will cost $26.

Worth Ave Group | Home

I bought it for my Galaxy Nexus phone and Nexus 7.

You can purchase anytime too. No time limit. You can't file a claim I think until 30 days after you buy the policy.

A case did not save my N7 from breaking. It was in the case, dropped a short distance and the glass broke in 3 places.

I feel more comfortable with a case. I don't think I'm too clumsy to let my devices get beat up or anything. :P

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

get a case to fit your lifestyle. if you're not going to use it out much, or if you're very careful but don't want the extra bulk, get a thin TPU case and a screen protector (3-packs on amazon are like 9 bucks). but definitely invest in a case. I've never purchased a separate warranty for electronics before, but I bought a $60 Squaretrade warranty on the offchance I do something horrible to it.

Global Posts
    473 Global Posts

I hate cases personally so I went with the square trade warranty. I've already broken one screen so I know how easy it is.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums