$99 Nexus up next?

MJKearney

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
I agree, this is the only way this is going to happen.
This may be the '3g' (or 4g or LTE or whatever!) Nexus 7 we've been hearing about.

Ok so $99 + (~ $50/month for a cell/data plan * 24 months) = $1299

The wifi only model is for me.
When are companies going to realize:
I DON'T WANT TO BE NICKEL AND DIMED BY IN APP PURCHASES. ($ in games is now REAL $? Good job confusing reality with fantasy. WTF!)
I DON'T WANT ANOTHER MONTHLY BILL.
I DON'T NEED TO BE CONNECTED TO THE INTERNET EVERYWHERE I GO.

- end of rant. :)

I don't understand your anger. Companies aren't making this product exclusively for you, and you aren't being forced to buy it. So why do companies need to realize specifically what you want or don't want? Should they not offer other choices for other buyers, just because those other choices don't suit you? All you have to do is not buy the product that isn't right for you, and buy the product that is right for you. Doing so is much more effective than writing in big, angry, capital letters.

So I really don't understand your anger at a company offering something that people other than you might find useful. Keep in mind, it's your anger I don't understand, not your right to rant. Your ranting is fine, is interesting to read, and I'm sure makes you feel better. Just think carefully about the reasoning for it and how you present it. And keep posting. I like your contributions, even the ones that I disagree with!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

oldschool2

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure what you mean by "hinges on a statute of limitations under business law." What law or precedent are you referring to?

Anybody can file a lawsuit for anything (that's the American way), but that doesn't mean that a court would ever approve such a suit to go forward. Lawsuits are thrown out every day because they don't have a valid legal basis. Class action lawsuits are especially difficult to get approved.

Just because a company decides to sell a completely different product model at a lower price doesn't give the buyer of the previous, more expensive, model a valid legal argument to sue. I don't recall a purchase contract with Google stating they wouldn't sell a cheaper model months down the road if I bought the Nexus 7 now. And I don't think there's anything in U.S. consumer law that prevents such a thing. There's no bait and switch here, and nobody being blatantly taken advantage of.

Almost all tech products come down in price quickly, and are often replaced by newer, better products at a cheaper price. That's the nature of technology, free enterprise, supply and demand, and many other factors. Buyers who don't like this are free to complain about it, write nasty letters, not do business with the offending company again, have their feelings hurt, and even file a lawsuit that will be thrown out quickly. They may have an emotional argument (one that I would disagree with), but not a legitimate legal argument.

The alternative is that companies don't lower their prices, don't come out with newer, cheaper models (even very quickly) , don't try to compete, and stop innovating. I think I'd rather pay $200 now instead of $100 down the road for a product that was considered an excellent value at the time, than to have a company stop doing all the things I mentioned above.

So, Oldschool, I disagree with you, but still appreciate your opinion and enjoy reading your posts in this forum! Thank you. (And I hope you're not a lawyer! ;) )

Your confused a bit I think (may be my fault). I was not refering to a "different product" I was talking about the "same" product and no, I don't think a suit of such nature would make it into court because the company would do everything it could to keep it out of court to protect reputation. Like I also said, I don't think there is much to worry about. Yes, in this day and age I would not be surprised if say, Apple tried to sue Amazon for selling a $200 tablet even though it's nothing like an iPad or something equally ludicris. I was only trying to point out how stupid it would be for a company to publicly announce a product and a price for said product and then change it without stating a qualifier such as "limited time only" or "these are beta and market releases will be $$?" or something. It falls more under consumer law I would imagine where you do have Caveat Emptor (which should be on everyone's mind all the time), but it is not absolute because there are laws of disclaimers, consumer info transparancy, etc that are in conjunction with "Buyer Beware" to make it work. All that is really moot in this point anyway though. Yes, tech prices do come down eventually, but not within 60 - 90 days of release, that's plain stupid. We are talking about a completely different unit I believe now and my point was just how much of a bonehead move it would be to offer the same product after public roll-out for half price in a short time, but just long enough to spin up lots of anger. Think about it, how long do you think a company would last if it did that? From what I know, it would not last very long at all because it would simply lose all business by people refusing to buy the product. A company's reputation is everything. Although it still baffels me how SOME companies don't seem to give a rip what their reputation is. How some of those same companies survive is a bigger mystery.
Oh, I'm not looking for aggreement or disagreement, what would be the point? Of course, I'm not a lawyer. I already stated that. I don't like lawyers anyway and would never use one, I don't care what I need.

---------- Post Merged at 04:07 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 04:01 PM ----------

I don't understand your anger. Companies aren't making this product exclusively for you, and you aren't being forced to buy it. So why do companies need to realize specifically what you want or don't want? Should they not offer other choices for other buyers, just because those other choices don't suit you? All you have to do is not buy the product that isn't right for you, and buy the product that is right for you. Doing so is much more effective than writing in big, angry, capital letters.

So I really don't understand your anger at a company offering something that people other than you might find useful. Keep in mind, it's your anger I don't understand, not your right to rant. Your ranting is fine, is interesting to read, and I'm sure makes you feel better. Just think carefully about the reasoning for it and how you present it. And keep posting. I like your contributions, even the ones that I disagree with!

I'm a little confused myself on this one. I understand the premise and can agree, but nickle and dimed on app purchases? If it weren't for the folks developing the apps in the first place what would these devices be? Also, we have choice of buying and app or not buying an app. (Some of these folks deserve to get a little payment for their efforts at least). In fact, we have more choice than yes or no, there are a billion free apps out there as well for crying out loud.

blitzen89

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
I can't speak for him, but I'd rather just pay for a game and that be it instead of downloading the game for free and needing to spend money in the game to keep up or advance...

tflash

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site

One reason I'm upset is that they aren't just offering choices, they're (trying to) push, beg, or trick me into spending $. It's relentless and tiring.
Up to this point I have 'voted' with my $, or the lack of spending it, but it hasn't slowed down the bombardment of marketing blitz.

What is a rant without anger? A truism? Like Seinfeld's rants? "They know how to take the reservation, but they don't know how to hold the reservation!" :D

In a way, I'm praising Google for finally offering a choice that I've been looking for for a long time. A portable WiFi only device that isn't hamstrung in someway like the WiFi only iPad that doesn't have GPS. By the way, if the N7 didn't have GPS I would still be waiting. The Ipod touch was the only choice, but I didn't want to live in the 'i' world.

---------- Post Merged at 05:39 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 05:35 PM ----------

I can't speak for him, but I'd rather just pay for a game and that be it instead of downloading the game for free and needing to spend money in the game to keep up or advance...

Exactly, it's dishonest and I don't like to play the 'game' of figuring out which button press results in charges to my credit card.

KitN

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
I do hope they offer a $99 but obviously it wouldn't be exactly like the N7. They would have to seriously strip it down to get it anywhere near that $99 pricepoint so those with N7s now need not fear.

They would probably strip out NFC, camera, Bluetooth... They would use a slow ass processor (probably a single core), lower the amount of RAM and storage space, use a cheaper, lower quality screen, etc etc ...

You'd have a seriously bare bones vanilla tablet that would find its way into even the most uptight of Apple fanboy's hands because its priced too low to ignore. And what's $99 to an Apple fanboy? Nothing! They pay twice as much just for a case for that huge iPad, lol! (Suckers!) :D

Everyone would have one. From poor college students, to soccor moms, to business men, to schools, to pre-schoolers and everyone in between... "Just too cheap to not try" is what most people will think...

Also think of it as a getaway drug. The fanfare around a $99 tablet will get people in the door, they wind up waking out with the $249 version like I, and many many others, did. ;)

And that would be the point of a device like that: Not to wow or innovate or compete with specs of tablets 5x the price, but to saturate and infiltrate the market so as to become ubiquitous and push development of the Android platform / apps and drive Google Play content purchases throw the roof. :thumbup:

Last edited:

MJKearney

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Your confused a bit I think (may be my fault). I was not refering to a "different product" I was talking about the "same" product and no, I don't think a suit of such nature would make it into court because the company would do everything it could to keep it out of court to protect reputation. Like I also said, I don't think there is much to worry about. Yes, in this day and age I would not be surprised if say, Apple tried to sue Amazon for selling a $200 tablet even though it's nothing like an iPad or something equally ludicris. I was only trying to point out how stupid it would be for a company to publicly announce a product and a price for said product and then change it without stating a qualifier such as "limited time only" or "these are beta and market releases will be $$?" or something. It falls more under consumer law I would imagine where you do have Caveat Emptor (which should be on everyone's mind all the time), but it is not absolute because there are laws of disclaimers, consumer info transparancy, etc that are in conjunction with "Buyer Beware" to make it work. All that is really moot in this point anyway though. Yes, tech prices do come down eventually, but not within 60 - 90 days of release, that's plain stupid. We are talking about a completely different unit I believe now and my point was just how much of a bonehead move it would be to offer the same product after public roll-out for half price in a short time, but just long enough to spin up lots of anger. Think about it, how long do you think a company would last if it did that? From what I know, it would not last very long at all because it would simply lose all business by people refusing to buy the product. A company's reputation is everything. Although it still baffels me how SOME companies don't seem to give a rip what their reputation is. How some of those same companies survive is a bigger mystery.
Oh, I'm not looking for aggreement or disagreement, what would be the point? Of course, I'm not a lawyer. I already stated that. I don't like lawyers anyway and would never use one, I don't care what I need.

Ah, I see. Yes, if Google announced that on October 1st they would begin selling the Nexus 7 for $99, there would be a lot of angry people. There would also be even more happy people! And the angry people would still not have a leg to stand on in terms of a lawsuit.

As far as I know, there's no consumer law that says a company can't sell a product for less than it's original price, no matter the time frame. There's no fraud involved, no discrimination, and in the end, the lower price is a good thing. It is indeed a moot point, though, as this specific situation with the Nexus 7 will never occur.

And I'm not expecting agreement or disagreement, just discussion and understanding.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Exactly, it's dishonest and I don't like to play the 'game' of figuring out which button press results in charges to my credit card.

Micro transaction games are a major PITA, but games are really only free one of two ways: advertisements or micro-transactions. No one is going to work and having their boss say "hey Bob, I want you to spend the next month programming a game that has no avenue for making a profit, so we can give it away for free!"

I'd like to see a Nexus 7 Deluxe for something like $300 that's just like the current model, but with added headphone/microphone (and thus Square Payments) support, video output, and microSD. And better speakers.

KitN

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Note on price drop of the current models if N7: Google themselves state officially that if there is a price drop within 30 days of purchase that they will (happily) refund the difference. So to those that purchased within 30 days of any pricedrop you are fine.

Also some credit cards offer this sort of protection as well. (Check with your bank/card issuer.)

For those that are past the 30 day mark, who cares! You had month(s) to play with and enjoy, arguably, one of the best and fastest tablets on the market. Personally, I think it was worth the price of admission. :)

There's always going to be something bigger, better, faster, cheaper right around the corner. Enjoy what you have NOW to the fullest and upgrade when you can/want. Its a simple as that.

KitN

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
I'd like to see a Nexus 7 Deluxe for something like $300 that's just like the current model, but with added headphone/microphone (and thus Square Payments) support, video output, and microSD. And better speakers.

I'd like to see a back camera of at least 8MPs and a cellualr radio option for 3G/4G but without any carrier subsidy like the way the Google Nexus smartphone is sold by Google directly unlocked all you would need is your SIM. :)

Unicorn Rancher

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Micro transaction games are a major PITA, but games are really only free one of two ways: advertisements or micro-transactions. No one is going to work and having their boss say "hey Bob, I want you to spend the next month programming a game that has no avenue for making a profit, so we can give it away for free!"
I agree but to be fair he did say he was willing to play a fixed price up front to avoid the recurring charges. Like PC games used to be. :D.

As long as Google continues to sell a wifi-only Nexus 7, I don't see any reason to complain if they release a 3G/4G version with a $300 list price and a $99 street price with a data plan. Or, considering how much of Google's revenue is advertising, a $99 ad-subsidized Nexus 7. As long as there's a choice.

Look at phone companies for the opposite of consumer choice. If I pay full price for a smart phone (or get a used one from someone who upgrades) and try to activate a normal pre-paid phone plan, that will work until the phone company realizes it's a smart phone. Then they will force me to buy a data plan, even if don't want one. If I only want to use 3G/4G for voice/SMS and do all my data through wifi, they still want to force me to buy a data plan. :mad: .

MJKearney

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
One reason I'm upset is that they aren't just offering choices, they're (trying to) push, beg, or trick me into spending $. It's relentless and tiring.
Up to this point I have 'voted' with my $, or the lack of spending it, but it hasn't slowed down the bombardment of marketing blitz.

What is a rant without anger? A truism? Like Seinfeld's rants? "They know how to take the reservation, but they don't know how to hold the reservation!" :D

In a way, I'm praising Google for finally offering a choice that I've been looking for for a long time. A portable WiFi only device that isn't hamstrung in someway like the WiFi only iPad that doesn't have GPS. By the way, if the N7 didn't have GPS I would still be waiting. The Ipod touch was the only choice, but I didn't want to live in the 'i' world.

As I said, I don't have a problem with rants, angry or otherwise. It's free speech, man! But they're a lot more effective with proper reasoning.

If a company offers choices but never tells anybody about those choices, or doesn't promote those choices in a way to make you think it's the best choice, then that company will go out of business quickly. Illegal, deceptive marketing practices are another story, of course.

No, I'm not saying I like tons of advertising and marketing targeting me all the time. It irritates me just as it does you. But I'd rather have that, along with competition, innovation, and choices, as opposed to the alternative (you know - the iWorld alternative that wants to wipe out the competition and only offer limited choices).

But in terms of something on which we can agree, the NEXUS 7 ROCKS!!! :D

oldschool2

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Ah, I see. Yes, if Google announced that on October 1st they would begin selling the Nexus 7 for $99, there would be a lot of angry people. There would also be even more happy people! And the angry people would still not have a leg to stand on in terms of a lawsuit.

As far as I know, there's no consumer law that says a company can't sell a product for less than it's original price, no matter the time frame. There's no fraud involved, no discrimination, and in the end, the lower price is a good thing. It is indeed a moot point, though, as this specific situation with the Nexus 7 will never occur.

And I'm not expecting agreement or disagreement, just discussion and understanding.

More immeadiately and less complicated in a situation like that a hell of a lot more damage could be done without a lawsuit! Again though, this is so hypothetical!

---------- Post Merged at 06:58 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 06:53 PM ----------

Note on price drop of the current models if N7: Google themselves state officially that if there is a price drop within 30 days of purchase that they will (happily) refund the difference. So to those that purchased within 30 days of any pricedrop you are fine.

Also some credit cards offer this sort of protection as well. (Check with your bank/card issuer.)

For those that are past the 30 day mark, who cares! You had month(s) to play with and enjoy, arguably, one of the best and fastest tablets on the market. Personally, I think it was worth the price of admission. :)

There's always going to be something bigger, better, faster, cheaper right around the corner. Enjoy what you have NOW to the fullest and upgrade when you can/want. Its a simple as that.

I don't think we need to worry about any price drops on our current models of the N7. That won't happen unless the market bottom drops out and with the popularity of 7-inch tablets, that won't happen anytime soon.

MJKearney

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
More immeadiately and less complicated in a situation like that a hell of a lot more damage could be done without a lawsuit! Again though, this is so hypothetical!

Yeah, I'm pretty tired of this hypothetical, because now I'm just totally confused. Anyway, whatever Google comes up with next, I hope it's a goodie and priced competitively!

tflash

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site

I was going to write the exact same thing.

jd914

Banned
Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
Not that I don't need it but I'll buy one just because it's so cheap. $99 is chump change.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Eduardo06sp

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Wow, I can imagine the market boost this will get. That second Nexus tablet better just be a thinner version. No extra hardware, or I will feel forced to upgrade.

anon(924308)

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
If the supposed 'second $199 N7' has improved specs, that would be a little disrespectful to people like us who bought the 1st gen. I mean, you don't release an improved model just a few months after the first, so I'm pretty sure this rumor is inaccurate. Or at the very least, it won't be out until like mid next year.

Imagine all the rage people who bought the iPhone 5 would feel if the iPhone 6 was coming out in January lol