Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 68
Like Tree10Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    aarora610's Avatar

    Posts
    54 Posts
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts

    Default $99 Nexus up next?



    Google (GOOG) and its hardware partner ASUS are reportedly planning to launch a new $99 Nexus tablet this year that could open up the tablet market to a massive new group of consumers. The report comes from Digitimes on Thursday, and it cites unnamed industry sources in claiming two new Nexus tablets are currently in the works. The first will apparently be a thinner version of the current $199 Nexus 7 and the second will be a new $99 model. Both tablets will utilize display panels from HannStar Display, the report claims. $99 is often thought of as the magic price point that makes purchase decisions far less difficult for consumers, and if Google can hit that price with a decent piece of hardware, it could very well mount a solid defense against Apples (AAPL) rumored upcoming iPad mini, which will be unveiled next month at a price point of either $249 or $299 according to earlier reports.


    This could get interesting. I'm excited mostly because a lot of buyers of the unit would drive more development to Android/Google Play! Long Live Android!
  2. #2  

    Default Re: $99 Nexus up next?

    Heck I already have a Nexus 7 and ide still buy that $99 too B-)

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    TaylordKris likes this.
  3. #3  
    dmmarck's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    10,930 Posts
    ROM
    What do you think?

    Default Re: $99 Nexus up next?

    I am on a self mandate to own all the Nexii, so I will buy as well lol

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  
    aarora610's Avatar

    Posts
    54 Posts
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts

    Default Re: $99 Nexus up next?

    Ok.. you guys twisted my arm. I'll buy one of these too!
  5. #5  

    Default Re: $99 Nexus up next?

    Quote Originally Posted by dmmarck View Post
    I am on a self mandate to own all the Nexii, so I will buy as well lol

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2
    Lol! Like I used to buy several shuffles in different colors? :-)

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    Samsung Note 2
  6. #6  

    Default Re: $99 Nexus up next?

    It's rumor at this point. At $99 there would have to be a nasty catch as well. I can't see that it would be the same as the units we have now. If it was it would be a one way ticket to Asus and Google going out of business and probably BK from the rest of us revolting through legal channels for paying double when we did not have to. Sure corporations are stupid, but I can't imagine them stooping to that level of stupidity, that's just suicide from a business point of view. It would be like Target telling all it's customers that if they come back on Tuesday they can have anythign in the store for free and then wondering why they didn't make sales that month and why they were in court from the customers who were not told about that the day before, resulting in closing the doors forever.
  7. #7  
    Curtis A's Avatar

    Posts
    42 Posts
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts

    Default Re: $99 Nexus up next?

    We do need SOMETHING to help the Play Store catch up. Every time I go to buy something I look on Play first. Most of the time I can't find it so I have to buy it from Amazon or Apple.

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
  8. #8  
    dmmarck's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    10,930 Posts
    ROM
    What do you think?

    Default Re: $99 Nexus up next?

    Quote Originally Posted by sixers_610 View Post
    Ok.. you guys twisted my arm. I'll buy one of these too!
    First, go Sixers. Can't wait to see Jrue feed Bynum.

    Quote Originally Posted by dave1812dave View Post
    Lol! Like I used to buy several shuffles in different colors? :-)

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    Sort of lol


    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2
  9. #9  

    Default Re: $99 Nexus up next?

    Quote Originally Posted by Curtis A View Post
    We do need SOMETHING to help the Play Store catch up. Every time I go to buy something I look on Play first. Most of the time I can't find it so I have to buy it from Amazon or Apple.

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    Yes, I wouldn't go to the Google store for books or anything like that, it's abysmal, but the app section is not too bad. Amazon is hard to beat for the books and such. The Amazon app section is extremely nice as well and I think some apps are offered on Amazon that aren't on Google and visa versa. It's nice having access to both.
  10. #10  

    Default Re: $99 Nexus up next?

    I expect the $99 one will be very appealing for kids, but the hardware will probably be underwhelming. I can't see myself replacing my current N7 with either one based on this little bit of info, but they'll make nice options for a lot of people.
  11. #11  

    Default Re: $99 Nexus up next?

    This has subsidized written all over it.

    As far as early adopters paying double the amount, no legal argument could be made for a class action suit, that's just ridiculous to even say.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    MJKearney likes this.
  12. #12  

    Default $99 Nexus up next?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jaingo View Post
    This has subsidized written all over it.

    As far as early adopters paying double the amount, no legal argument could be made for a class action suit, that's just ridiculous to even say.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    Google takes your information, then sells it to advertisers, then puts those same ads on the subsidized nexus. Lol. Circles.
  13. #13  

    Default Re: $99 Nexus up next?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jaingo View Post
    This has subsidized written all over it.

    As far as early adopters paying double the amount, no legal argument could be made for a class action suit, that's just ridiculous to even say.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    I agree that yes, the $99 version would have to be stripped or restricted or require a contract subscription or something. As for a class action regarding pricing, there is a legal argument that hinges on a statute of limitations under business law. I'm no expert by any stretch, but I have seen precident for it. However, it does get wrapped up for years in technicalities, class action or not and besides, it would be settled out of court real fast anyway I imagine. Although, I was just stating a realistic scenerio based on practices and theory and in full reality, I don't think anyone has much to worry about in that regard. I was just pointing out how stupid it would be for the manufacture and reseller to do such a thing as they would really be the ones losing the most at the end of the day.

    ---------- Post Merged at 12:39 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 12:37 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by monkeyluis View Post
    Google takes your information, then sells it to advertisers, then puts those same ads on the subsidized nexus. Lol. Circles.
    LOL! Your probably far closure to the truth on that one than you know.
  14. #14  

    Default Re: $99 Nexus up next?

    Google does NOT sell your information. They sell targeted adverts, and if they sold the information they used for targeting that gives the possibility of someone being able to do it as well as they can and they would lose their main competitive advantage in advertising market. They make 96% of their revenue from selling advertising, and they wouldn't risk that just for some quick cash.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
  15. #15  

    Default Re: $99 Nexus up next?

    Will it come "with special offers" like the sub $100 Kindle?

    Can you imagine playing the free Angry Birds on a subsidized 7" tablet? How much of the screen would be for ads?
  16. #16  

    Default Re: $99 Nexus up next?

    I'm thinking its going to be a carrier model for $99 with a data plan.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
  17. #17  

    Default Re: $99 Nexus up next?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jaingo View Post
    This has subsidized written all over it.

    As far as early adopters paying double the amount, no legal argument could be made for a class action suit, that's just ridiculous to even say.
    If there was a class action suit, would Apple sue to become a defendant, because they patented a process on post-release price drops for movile devices?
  18. #18  

    Default $99 Nexus up next?

    Quote Originally Posted by retsaw View Post
    Google does NOT sell your information. They sell targeted adverts, and if they sold the information they used for targeting that gives the possibility of someone being able to do it as well as they can and they would lose their main competitive advantage in advertising market. They make 96% of their revenue from selling advertising, and they wouldn't risk that just for some quick cash.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    They don't sell your personal information, they sell the other stuff.
  19. #19  

    Default Re: $99 Nexus up next?

    Quote Originally Posted by ZachA View Post
    I'm thinking its going to be a carrier model for $99 with a data plan.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    I agree, this is the only way this is going to happen.
    This may be the '3g' (or 4g or LTE or whatever!) Nexus 7 we've been hearing about.

    Ok so $99 + (~ $50/month for a cell/data plan * 24 months) = $1299

    The wifi only model is for me.
    When are companies going to realize:
    I DON'T WANT TO BE NICKEL AND DIMED BY IN APP PURCHASES. ($ in games is now REAL $? Good job confusing reality with fantasy. WTF!)
    I DON'T WANT ANOTHER MONTHLY BILL.
    I DON'T NEED TO BE CONNECTED TO THE INTERNET EVERYWHERE I GO.

    - end of rant.
  20. #20  

    Default Re: $99 Nexus up next?

    Quote Originally Posted by oldschool2 View Post
    I agree that yes, the $99 version would have to be stripped or restricted or require a contract subscription or something. As for a class action regarding pricing, there is a legal argument that hinges on a statute of limitations under business law. I'm no expert by any stretch, but I have seen precident for it. However, it does get wrapped up for years in technicalities, class action or not and besides, it would be settled out of court real fast anyway I imagine. Although, I was just stating a realistic scenerio based on practices and theory and in full reality, I don't think anyone has much to worry about in that regard. I was just pointing out how stupid it would be for the manufacture and reseller to do such a thing as they would really be the ones losing the most at the end of the day.
    I'm not sure what you mean by "hinges on a statute of limitations under business law." What law or precedent are you referring to?

    Anybody can file a lawsuit for anything (that's the American way), but that doesn't mean that a court would ever approve such a suit to go forward. Lawsuits are thrown out every day because they don't have a valid legal basis. Class action lawsuits are especially difficult to get approved.

    Just because a company decides to sell a completely different product model at a lower price doesn't give the buyer of the previous, more expensive, model a valid legal argument to sue. I don't recall a purchase contract with Google stating they wouldn't sell a cheaper model months down the road if I bought the Nexus 7 now. And I don't think there's anything in U.S. consumer law that prevents such a thing. There's no bait and switch here, and nobody being blatantly taken advantage of.

    Almost all tech products come down in price quickly, and are often replaced by newer, better products at a cheaper price. That's the nature of technology, free enterprise, supply and demand, and many other factors. Buyers who don't like this are free to complain about it, write nasty letters, not do business with the offending company again, have their feelings hurt, and even file a lawsuit that will be thrown out quickly. They may have an emotional argument (one that I would disagree with), but not a legitimate legal argument.

    The alternative is that companies don't lower their prices, don't come out with newer, cheaper models (even very quickly) , don't try to compete, and stop innovating. I think I'd rather pay $200 now instead of $100 down the road for a product that was considered an excellent value at the time, than to have a company stop doing all the things I mentioned above.

    So, Oldschool, I disagree with you, but still appreciate your opinion and enjoy reading your posts in this forum! Thank you. (And I hope you're not a lawyer! )

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    Last edited by MJKearney; 09-27-2012 at 02:04 PM.
    Thanked by:
  21. #21  

    Default Re: $99 Nexus up next?

    Quote Originally Posted by tflash View Post
    I agree, this is the only way this is going to happen.
    This may be the '3g' (or 4g or LTE or whatever!) Nexus 7 we've been hearing about.

    Ok so $99 + (~ $50/month for a cell/data plan * 24 months) = $1299

    The wifi only model is for me.
    When are companies going to realize:
    I DON'T WANT TO BE NICKEL AND DIMED BY IN APP PURCHASES. ($ in games is now REAL $? Good job confusing reality with fantasy. WTF!)
    I DON'T WANT ANOTHER MONTHLY BILL.
    I DON'T NEED TO BE CONNECTED TO THE INTERNET EVERYWHERE I GO.

    - end of rant.
    I don't understand your anger. Companies aren't making this product exclusively for you, and you aren't being forced to buy it. So why do companies need to realize specifically what you want or don't want? Should they not offer other choices for other buyers, just because those other choices don't suit you? All you have to do is not buy the product that isn't right for you, and buy the product that is right for you. Doing so is much more effective than writing in big, angry, capital letters.

    So I really don't understand your anger at a company offering something that people other than you might find useful. Keep in mind, it's your anger I don't understand, not your right to rant. Your ranting is fine, is interesting to read, and I'm sure makes you feel better. Just think carefully about the reasoning for it and how you present it. And keep posting. I like your contributions, even the ones that I disagree with!

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  
    aarora610's Avatar

    Posts
    54 Posts
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts

    Default Re: $99 Nexus up next?

    Quote Originally Posted by dmmarck View Post
    First, go Sixers. Can't wait to see Jrue feed Bynum.


    F YEA!
  23. #23  

    Default Re: $99 Nexus up next?

    Quote Originally Posted by MJKearney View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean by "hinges on a statute of limitations under business law." What law or precedent are you referring to?

    Anybody can file a lawsuit for anything (that's the American way), but that doesn't mean that a court would ever approve such a suit to go forward. Lawsuits are thrown out every day because they don't have a valid legal basis. Class action lawsuits are especially difficult to get approved.

    Just because a company decides to sell a completely different product model at a lower price doesn't give the buyer of the previous, more expensive, model a valid legal argument to sue. I don't recall a purchase contract with Google stating they wouldn't sell a cheaper model months down the road if I bought the Nexus 7 now. And I don't think there's anything in U.S. consumer law that prevents such a thing. There's no bait and switch here, and nobody being blatantly taken advantage of.

    Almost all tech products come down in price quickly, and are often replaced by newer, better products at a cheaper price. That's the nature of technology, free enterprise, supply and demand, and many other factors. Buyers who don't like this are free to complain about it, write nasty letters, not do business with the offending company again, have their feelings hurt, and even file a lawsuit that will be thrown out quickly. They may have an emotional argument (one that I would disagree with), but not a legitimate legal argument.

    The alternative is that companies don't lower their prices, don't come out with newer, cheaper models (even very quickly) , don't try to compete, and stop innovating. I think I'd rather pay $200 now instead of $100 down the road for a product that was considered an excellent value at the time, than to have a company stop doing all the things I mentioned above.

    So, Oldschool, I disagree with you, but still appreciate your opinion and enjoy reading your posts in this forum! Thank you. (And I hope you're not a lawyer! )

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    Your confused a bit I think (may be my fault). I was not refering to a "different product" I was talking about the "same" product and no, I don't think a suit of such nature would make it into court because the company would do everything it could to keep it out of court to protect reputation. Like I also said, I don't think there is much to worry about. Yes, in this day and age I would not be surprised if say, Apple tried to sue Amazon for selling a $200 tablet even though it's nothing like an iPad or something equally ludicris. I was only trying to point out how stupid it would be for a company to publicly announce a product and a price for said product and then change it without stating a qualifier such as "limited time only" or "these are beta and market releases will be $$?" or something. It falls more under consumer law I would imagine where you do have Caveat Emptor (which should be on everyone's mind all the time), but it is not absolute because there are laws of disclaimers, consumer info transparancy, etc that are in conjunction with "Buyer Beware" to make it work. All that is really moot in this point anyway though. Yes, tech prices do come down eventually, but not within 60 - 90 days of release, that's plain stupid. We are talking about a completely different unit I believe now and my point was just how much of a bonehead move it would be to offer the same product after public roll-out for half price in a short time, but just long enough to spin up lots of anger. Think about it, how long do you think a company would last if it did that? From what I know, it would not last very long at all because it would simply lose all business by people refusing to buy the product. A company's reputation is everything. Although it still baffels me how SOME companies don't seem to give a rip what their reputation is. How some of those same companies survive is a bigger mystery.
    Oh, I'm not looking for aggreement or disagreement, what would be the point? Of course, I'm not a lawyer. I already stated that. I don't like lawyers anyway and would never use one, I don't care what I need.

    ---------- Post Merged at 04:07 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 04:01 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by MJKearney View Post
    I don't understand your anger. Companies aren't making this product exclusively for you, and you aren't being forced to buy it. So why do companies need to realize specifically what you want or don't want? Should they not offer other choices for other buyers, just because those other choices don't suit you? All you have to do is not buy the product that isn't right for you, and buy the product that is right for you. Doing so is much more effective than writing in big, angry, capital letters.

    So I really don't understand your anger at a company offering something that people other than you might find useful. Keep in mind, it's your anger I don't understand, not your right to rant. Your ranting is fine, is interesting to read, and I'm sure makes you feel better. Just think carefully about the reasoning for it and how you present it. And keep posting. I like your contributions, even the ones that I disagree with!

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    I'm a little confused myself on this one. I understand the premise and can agree, but nickle and dimed on app purchases? If it weren't for the folks developing the apps in the first place what would these devices be? Also, we have choice of buying and app or not buying an app. (Some of these folks deserve to get a little payment for their efforts at least). In fact, we have more choice than yes or no, there are a billion free apps out there as well for crying out loud.
    monkeyluis likes this.
  24. #24  
    blitzen89's Avatar

    Posts
    75 Posts
    ROM
    CM10 Alpha

    Default Re: $99 Nexus up next?

    I can't speak for him, but I'd rather just pay for a game and that be it instead of downloading the game for free and needing to spend money in the game to keep up or advance...
    The Rogue Reindeer Strikes Again!
    monkeyluis and MERCDROID like this.
  25. #25  

    Default Re: $99 Nexus up next?

    Quote Originally Posted by MJKearney View Post
    I don't understand your anger. Companies aren't making this product exclusively for you, and you aren't being forced to buy it. So why do companies need to realize specifically what you want or don't want? Should they not offer other choices for other buyers, just because those other choices don't suit you? All you have to do is not buy the product that isn't right for you, and buy the product that is right for you. Doing so is much more effective than writing in big, angry, capital letters.

    So I really don't understand your anger at a company offering something that people other than you might find useful. Keep in mind, it's your anger I don't understand, not your right to rant. Your ranting is fine, is interesting to read, and I'm sure makes you feel better. Just think carefully about the reasoning for it and how you present it. And keep posting. I like your contributions, even the ones that I disagree with!

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    One reason I'm upset is that they aren't just offering choices, they're (trying to) push, beg, or trick me into spending $. It's relentless and tiring.
    Up to this point I have 'voted' with my $, or the lack of spending it, but it hasn't slowed down the bombardment of marketing blitz.

    What is a rant without anger? A truism? Like Seinfeld's rants? "They know how to take the reservation, but they don't know how to hold the reservation!"

    In a way, I'm praising Google for finally offering a choice that I've been looking for for a long time. A portable WiFi only device that isn't hamstrung in someway like the WiFi only iPad that doesn't have GPS. By the way, if the N7 didn't have GPS I would still be waiting. The Ipod touch was the only choice, but I didn't want to live in the 'i' world.

    ---------- Post Merged at 05:39 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 05:35 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by blitzen89 View Post
    I can't speak for him, but I'd rather just pay for a game and that be it instead of downloading the game for free and needing to spend money in the game to keep up or advance...
    Exactly, it's dishonest and I don't like to play the 'game' of figuring out which button press results in charges to my credit card.
    MERCDROID likes this.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Staples will be selling new 3rd party cases Nexus 7 next week
    By patchs in forum Google Nexus 7 (2012) Accessories
    Replies: 54
    Last Post: 08-25-2012, 11:35 PM
  2. Galaxy Nexus the next official Google phone?!?!
    By AllenRulz in forum General News & Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-29-2011, 06:31 PM
  3. Root for EVO 4g, maybe we are up next!
    By sphinxx in forum HTC Evo Shift 4G Rooting, ROMs, and Hacks
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-15-2011, 10:49 AM
  4. Replies: 25
    Last Post: 06-29-2011, 01:22 PM
  5. Wirefly $199.99 is up!
    By maxiang in forum Sprint Epic 4G
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 09-04-2010, 02:53 PM

Posting Permissions

B