Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By oldschool2
  • 1 Post By jrwatson
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Do I need an anti-virus program for Android?

Probably a newb question, but I am a newb so.....
    I'm wondering: Are Android devices such as the N7 vulnerable to viruses like a PC is? The anti-virus on my Win7 PC catches a virus about every 30 seconds. That's why I am wondering about the Android system since it's all over the place these days.

If you're win 7 pc does every 30 secs then I would say yes. That indicates to me that it may be your behavior in how you surf, where you surf, etc. normally I would say you don't though.
    Thanked by:

Default Re: Do I need an anti-virus program for Android?

Nope you dont need it. DONOT download apk(craked app or pirated) from external source. only install it from playstore.

Also, try downloading trusted apps and you should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by still1 View Post
    Nope you dont need it. DONOT download apk(craked app or pirated) from external source. only install it from playstore.

Also, try downloading trusted apps and you should be fine.
    His behavior online and emails could contribute to viruses, not just apps he has to worry about.

You may not need it, but it's not going to hurt anything to have it. Peace of mind is a wonderful thing!
    NookColor running CM10.1
    Galaxy Note running RootBox
    Nexus 7 Running JellyBam v7

I use Lookout and am very pleased with it. I don't /need/ it, as I have very safe browsing and email habits, but I sure like knowing it's there just in case.

Sent from my HTC One S using Android Central Forums
    Be nice. Until it's time to not be nice. - Dalton, Road House

Yes you do, i've downloaded apps from the play store that have had viruses when scanned

On my Samsung galaxy s3 running android 4.0

Because unlike ios, i keep my apps in app drawers, and not in infinite cluttered homescreens
    Android is a tune up sports car with custom interior, sound system, and IOS is a stock model benz

I use Android, because unlike IOS, i keep my apps in app drawers, and not infinitely cluttered homescreens

Use avast, it scans apps when you download them and warns you if you download a virus

Because unlike ios, i keep my apps in app drawers, and not in infinite cluttered homescreens
    Android is a tune up sports car with custom interior, sound system, and IOS is a stock model benz

I use Android, because unlike IOS, i keep my apps in app drawers, and not infinitely cluttered homescreens

Quote Originally Posted by oldschool2 View Post
    Probably a newb question, but I am a newb so.....
    I'm wondering: Are Android devices such as the N7 vulnerable to viruses like a PC is? The anti-virus on my Win7 PC catches a virus about every 30 seconds. That's why I am wondering about the Android system since it's all over the place these days.
    I have Lookout on my phones and both of my tablets (Asus Slider and Nexus 7). I am careful where I go with them all and seldom download anything from anywhere but the Play Store, but it scans all downloads and a little peace of mind doesn't hurt anything.The basic functions are free. The Verizon rep put it on my previous phone so it can't be a bad thing. I had another one prior to that and she said not to use it, I can't remember whch one that was.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Oh, I practice safe browsing, don't worry. I only go to well known sites and never click on anything that pops up or flashes or anything. I never open emails I do not know and I usually check the header before opening. I run Avast anti-virus and it could just be over-active. The only issues I have had is mostly malware from Microsoft. Twice I got official updates from Microsoft and one of them was malware, but I don't know which one because there are usually at least 12 updates done at the same time.
    As for the tablet I don't use it for email or surfing. I only go to Googleplay for now, but I will also be going to Amazon as well. I do want to be careful because I would not know a hacked or cracked app if it came up and bit my nose off.
    I think I'll grab Avast for the tablet, thanks!
    eddied1 likes this.

I know squat about software and hacking. Are there any potential dangers in using public, unsecured wifi networks (e.g. at cafes)?

No, there is nothing anyone else anyone could do but the Café controlling it. , you should watch out for "free Wi-Fi".

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Eduardo06sp View Post
    No, there is nothing anyone else anyone could do but the Café controlling it. , you should watch out for "free Wi-Fi".
    Ooh yeah I see those things all the time with my laptop, but they don't show up as actual wireless networks, they have that symbol showing computers connecting. But I don't know think the N7 even shows those types of networks anyway, so it's all good.
    Eduardo06sp likes this.

Try this site for more programs you need :

I use Avast on my N7 and TF300T, and Lookout (paid version) on my Galaxy S3. Neither app has a negative effect on my battery life. I'm one of those "rather safe than sorry" people. If nothing else these apps give me a sense of security, false or real.
    Not every device nor provider is for everyone. So choose carefully before you put your money down. Then live with your decision.

Sprint Note 3
    Nexus 7 (2013)
    Asus Transformer Pad TF300T
    Chromecast

Quote Originally Posted by Soundtrack to Chaos View Post
    Yes you do, i've downloaded apps from the play store that have had viruses when scanned

>my question: what are drawers? I know how to put my apps and widgets into folders, but drawers?

Quote Originally Posted by seldombeaton View Post
    >my question: what are drawers? I know how to put my apps and widgets into folders, but drawers?
    drawer is the list of all apps installed on your device. when you click the 6 dot in the home it takes you to app/widget drawer