Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes

Default Re: Using USB OTG (No Rooting)

Quote Originally Posted by tenstrum View Post
    Can't even tell you how many hours total. I've spent many years building up my collection. I just finished ripping the last of my CDs 2 weeks ago.
    I have an Acura TL. It will power the hard drive up, but it can only see a maximum of 700 folders and 15000 files. I thought about splitting up into multiple Thumb Drives, but that's more of a last resort since it currently sits at 513GB. I have a 640GB 2.5" External USB powered Toshiba drive that my collection fits on with some room to spare for future growth so I would rather use it. I tried using a Raspberry PI to see the disc but even though it powered it up, it wouldn't recognize it. I'm kind of wondering if that wouldn't be the same case for the Nexus 7.
    I have an Auxiliary stereo jack in my console that I could run a cable from the Nexus 7 into.
    Have you tried something like this? Amazon.com: Apricorn AUSB-Y USB Power Adapter Y Cable - Black/Grey: Electronics You would need to keep one cable plugged into a socket though, so its not that portable...

I currently have the nexus 7 and the otg cable. I also have the media importer app. When I connected the nexus to a western digital 500g my passport external hard drive, the app recognized that it was attached, but it never got past the screen the comes up and says connecting. I was told that it is probably because the nexus doesn't output enough power for the hard drive and that I should get a USB hub. Any recommendations? Relatively inexpensive recommendations?

I have a nexus 7 a otg cable a flash drive with media on it but I need a media importer like nexus media importer but is there a free one I can get as I cannot buy apps out of Google store without a credit card which I don't have.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom O View Post
    I have a nexus 7 a otg cable a flash drive with media on it but I need a media importer like nexus media importer but is there a free one I can get as I cannot buy apps out of Google store without a credit card which I don't have.
    If you're broke this might not help. But you could pay cash for a Play Store card to put money on your account to buy apps, music, etc. (but NO HARDWARE!)

I don't know any free to NMI.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Tom O View Post
    As mentioned, you can buy a $10 Play Store card at Target or Walmart if you're in the USA.

The same company has a free app that only views photos. If you want to try that in the meantime (or only need to view photos ) that may be worth a shot.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...exususb.viewer

Global Posts
    510 Global Posts

As a side note, I posted this in another thread:

I have a USB-powered Western Digital hard drive that works with my N7 using an OTG cable. I was curious as to how heavy the battery usage would be when powering a spinning drive so I did a small test, playing the same movie from the hard drive and then from a flash drive. Here’s what I saw (I charged the N7 between tests, usage number from battery monitor measure of charge level):

Stock 16GB N7
    Play movie with MX Player Pro through Nexus Media Importer
    Duration of 1 hour, screen at 100% brightness
    Video: 832 x 352 1503 kbps h264 MP4

Results --

Sandisk Cruzer 64GB Thumb Drive, FAT32 -- 12% battery drain

Western Digital My Passport 500GB Portable USB 3.0 External Hard Drive, NTFS -- 23% battery drain

Hi,

Can someone please post a link or let me know which OTG cable absolutely works with nexus 7. I have purchased two separate cables, one from ebay and other from Amazon. Both seems to work part-time and it's driving me crazy. Here are what I purchased.

This is from Amazon:
    SANOXY Micro USB Host Mode OTG Cable Flash Drive SD T-Flash Card Adapter FOR Samsung GT-i9100 i9100 Galaxy S II 2 GT-N7000 Galaxy Note

This is from Ebay: (someone had recommeded this seller on either this or another forum):
    EEEKit for Google Nexus 7,2x OTG Host Adapter Cable Micro USB 2.0 Converter Line (vendor is eeekitonline)

PS: does anyone know if frys carries OTG cables at their stores.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Going on a road trip soon and I need this setup so the wife can watch Golden Girls (she's not that old but somehow she got hooked :-)

I have a standard file manager and it allows me to access my otg. I can read and write files to my usb . It takes a few minutes to find your USB drive but once you find it you CAN READ AND WRITE WITH NO ROOT!
    BTW the apps name that I used is File Manager by rythem software. It is an amazing app with even more features!

Quote Originally Posted by awesomecvl View Post
    I have a standard file manager and it allows me to access my otg. I can read and write files to my usb . It takes a few minutes to find your USB drive but once you find it you CAN READ AND WRITE WITH NO ROOT!
    BTW the apps name that I used is File Manager by rythem software. It is an amazing app with even more features!
    No offense but this sounds like BS. I assume you're talking about a Nexus 7?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    913 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by awesomecvl View Post
    Yeah - Right. First post!!!

Alan

EDIT - I just downloaded the s/w and tried it. No way does it see my USB device. Nexus Media Importer finds it, no issues.

I downloaded and tested File Manager HD (the tablet version) - it can NOT read USB storage on the Nexus 7. It is a decent enough File manager app tho and has some nice functions but access to USB storage without root is NOT one of them.

With my N7 and 16Gb Samsung (Class 2) Micro SD cards in a USB card reader using the OTG connector, , Nexus Media Importer would sit "Waiting Foe Media" until it stopped...I think it said "time out", or something. Same data (movies) on an 8Gb SanDisc Micro SD card (a Class "4" ), no problem. I'm going to try with a 16Gb Class 6 right now.

Okay. Works with OTG, Samsung 16Gb Micro SD,Class 6, and a USB Card Reader.....But not with the 16Gb Card with a Class 2.
    predsc likes this.

I just bought a Karbon Titanium S2. Do we a similar app to support USB OTG for thisphone ?? I too do not want to root.
    Thanked by:

it is right ..
    for Samsung grand quattro is able.

have a Micromax A88 and right now I have attached a pen drive using otg cable. From reading everything, it says I can use Es FileExplorer and get to /sdcard/usbStorage/sda1 - however, I cannot get to this folder. When I click on the /sdcard/ - I get clear history.

I tried using my pen drive using otg
    Everything I have read speaking about rooting the device, which I do not want to do. How can I get to this folder? Or view files amd folder?
    Plz help me

GUYS,,,, send message in PM,, i will give you free app,, which will support OTG connection with ASUS nexus 7 without rooting..

Good free file manager/USB OTG solution w/out having to root device.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...TotalCommander

Google play - look for 2 apps - "total commander" and usb stick plugin - TC (Trial) = free usb otg solution for nexus 7.
    Been using for about 9 months now & still free, trial version keeps updating.

i have a nexus4 and also need USB otg. can you tell me how to do that without routing? my boot loader is unlocked though

Sent from my Nexus 4
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12