Using USB OTG (No Rooting)

Corey Bryant

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I have a Nexus 7 16G and right now I have attached a flash drive to the unit. From reading everything, it says I can use Es FileExplorer and get to /sdcard/usbStorage/sda1 - however, I cannot get to this folder. When I click on the /sdcard/ - I get clear history.

I tried using my Bluetooth keyboard to type, but that did not work.

Everything I have read speaking about rooting the device, which I do not want to do. How can I get to this folder?

Thank you!

Corey Bryant

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I installed it, I just cannot figure out how to get to the drive.

I have the cable, a USB male connector and a USB memory card.

Just curious, would the Eye-Fi card work? I just want be able to download shows / movies to watch (I am hoping that I can do that with NetFlix / HuluPlus if I don't have a WI-FI connection).

Thanks again!

mud314

May 18, 2012
Visit site
not sure if I am missing something here, how are you going to use the eye-fi card if there is no place for it on the N7?

lucky sevens

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
The Nexus Media Importer with the OTG cable works fine as a basic reader to access files on a USB flash drive. I'm also able to use a mouse/keyboard when connected to a multi-port hub as well. Unless you are able to use the eye-fi with a USB card reader don't know how you would access it....

Dwiarten

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
The Nexus Media Importer with the OTG cable works fine as a basic reader to access files on a USB flash drive. I'm also able to use a mouse/keyboard when connected to a multi-port hub as well. Unless you are able to use the eye-fi with a USB card reader don't know how you would access it....

Yep, my OTG cable and 64GB USB Flash Drive from Amazon finally arrived. Movies and music both stream perfectly, without rooting. :)

Last edited:

Corey Bryant

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Which one did you buy so I know which one to get exactly? I have it hooked up right now (but it is with the micro-usb cable to USB and then a male-to-male connector and a USB flash drive). The Media Importer shows an USB drive, so I am assuming that is it, but no files are shown. I am testing a couple of programs to convert .tivo to .mp4 but so far, no luck.

I saw on other forums that the Nexus 7 will see other Wi-Fi drives, so that was why I asked about the Eye-Fi. You can easily upload your images from your camera to a website (or theirs (eye.fi)), I am assuming though that it gets the power from the camera. Someone mentioned a Seagate one, but I have not found that one yet either.

Thank you!

Zapflashgone

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
I sometimes get the Media Importer screen, but it says "waiting for media". Try a full restart on the N7 before you connect the cable. And connect the cable first and THEN insert the media stick.
It is also impotant to remember that Media Importer is a work in progress.

MousePad

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
not sure if I am missing something here, how are you going to use the eye-fi card if there is no place for it on the N7?

Essentially, it's an "infinite" SDCard, since it can transfer its contents wirelessly. So I assume the OP would put it in a laptop/camera/whatever to load it with his content, then transfer it ad hoc to his N7.

Corey Bryant

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Zapflashgone, I tried that, it still did not work. I think it is the way I have the connection:

Right now, I use the cable that came with the Nexus 7, a USB Gender Changer (converts USB A male port to famel or connects two male to male cables), with a USB Flash drive. I am thinking that it is all the connections that is causing the issues

I did find Left Angled Micro USB Host OTG Cable SamSung i9100 XOOM[url] (recommended by someone on another forum), [url=http://dx.com/p/smallest-microsd-transflash-usb-card-reader-with-cover-blue-7134?rt=1&p=2&m=2&r=3&k=1&t=1&s=25558&u=7134]Smallest MicroSD TransFlash USB Card Reader with Cover (Blue), T & S Electronics Micro USB Host Cable (OTG Cable) - Xoom, Galaxy S2, Acer Iconia A510, Toshiba Excite AT305, Google Nexus 7 & more., Angled Micro USB OTG Host Cable Adapter Xoom i9100 Galaxy S2 SII N900 Archos MID

Only problem is, I cannot seem to find out how large the drives are. Do you think the Left Angled Micro USB Host OTG Cable is the best or maybe the T & S Electronics Micro USB Host Cable since it seems it might work well with with the Nexus 7?

mr_nobody

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Right now, I use the cable that came with the Nexus 7, a USB Gender Changer (converts USB A male port to famel or connects two male to male cables), with a USB Flash drive. I am thinking that it is all the connections that is causing the issues

You definitely need an OTG cable, the configuration you describe will not work.

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I am new to some of this so please excuse my questions. I am running out of space for downloading stuff from the market. I would like to be able to connect an external drive to my N7 and store games to it.
If I buy the OTG cable with a thumb drive will that work?
Which drive would people recommend?
There seems to be some debate if I need to be rooted and if so what programs would people recommend to access an external drive?
I really love the N7 just want more space.

Thank you in advance for any advice. I truly appreciate it.

TimeHunter

May 2, 2010
Visit site
The N7 will not recognize or use the flash drive to store applications or their data files, at least in stock configuration. I have an USB OTG cable and tested it just now with apps I know can store to sdcard in devices that support that.

In stock config, the USB OTG is best used to store and stream media files by using the Nexus Media Importer software mentioned earlier. I use a Sandisk Cruzer Fit 32GB because it has a small form factor and keeps the kludge down a bit. Another small form factor solution would be using a microsdhc card with the elago Mobile Nano microSDHC Flash Memory Card Reader.

MrAtticus

Sep 27, 2012
Visit site
Well I just came across this, and my head just blew up! I have been dreading rooting my Nexus 7 to be able to do this. Now that you can do it with out having to root it is amazing! I just bought two of these cables ( Amazon.com: SANOXY Micro USB Host Mode OTG Cable Flash Drive SD T-Flash Card Adapter FOR Samsung GT-i9100 i9100 Galaxy S II 2 GT-N7000 Galaxy Note: Cell Phones & Accessories ) You couldnt beat that price.

So my question is. When you put files on the thumb drive. Do you have to creat certain folders for it to read them? I was just going to make 3 folders. Pictures, Movies, and Music. And just drop what I need in each folder. And also is there a limit of storage that the nexus 7 can read on a thumb drive? I wanted to get the 64GB flash drive. This one to be exact ( Amazon.com: SanDisk Cruzer 64 GB USB Flash Drive SDCZ36-064G-B35: Electronics )

hbquikcomjamesl

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Last night, after installing the app, I was able to easily read not only a thumb-drive, but also my Digital Foci "Photo-Safe" memory card to HD backup appliance. I haven't tried reading from a USB floppy drive (and suspect that if I did so without a powered hub, and it actually worked, it would drain my battery rather quickly), but I can easily access files on a thumb-drive.

But yes, you definitely need an OTG cable; there's a pin on a micro-USB connector that's open for a normal cable, but grounded for OTG; that's how the device it's plugged into knows to feed power instead of drawing it, and act as a host, rather than as a peripheral.

Corey Bryant

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I just found this PSA: Amazon Has A USB OTG Cable For Less Than A Dollar With Free Shipping, So You Should Probably Buy It, (on AndroidPolice) so I might get that one. Wal-May had some PNY Flash Drive 32G for about $10.00, so I will get one of thos as well. I am finally understanding a bit more :)

Well I just came across this, and my head just blew up! I have been dreading rooting my Nexus 7 to be able to do this. Now that you can do it with out having to root it is amazing! I just bought two of these cables SANOXY Micro USB Host Mode OTG Cable Flash Drive SD T-Flash Card Adapter FOR Samsung GT-i9100 i9100 Galaxy S II 2 GT-N7000 Galaxy Note: Cell Phones & Accessories
So my question is. When you put files on the thumb drive. Do you have to creat certain folders for it to read them? I was just going to make 3 folders. Pictures, Movies, and Music. And just drop what I need in each folder. And also is there a limit of storage that the nexus 7 can read on a thumb drive? I wanted to get the 64GB flash drive. This one to be exact SanDisk Cruzer 64 GB USB Flash Drive SDCZ36-064G-B35: Electronics

When I called Nexus 7 support, they said they did not know of a memory limitation.

Thanks for your patience in this!

tenstrum

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
I'm thinking about getting a Nexus 7.
Has anyone ever tried using a USB powered 2.5" hard drive plugged into the Nexus 7? I'm wondering if it would work.

iHelpYouShy

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm thinking about getting a Nexus 7.
Has anyone ever tried using a USB powered 2.5" hard drive plugged into the Nexus 7? I'm wondering if it would work.

It should work, but it might depend on the hd. I have a Buffalo Ministation 500gb and my N7 powers the thing even when the battery is below 14%. I've been told some HD will not even spin due to the lack of power from the N7.