Using USB OTG (No Rooting)

jpash549

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
How many hours of music is that and I guess you have backed up this immense collection somewhere. Would be more practical to use flash drives and split it up. Maybe I'm a worry wart but drawing more current would seem to make the N7 run hotter and stress both it and the battery. Are you bluetoothing to a speaker system?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

tenstrum

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
How many hours of music is that and I guess you have backed up this immense collection somewhere. Would be more practical to use flash drives and split it up. Maybe I'm a worry wart but drawing more current would seem to make the N7 run hotter and stress both it and the battery. Are you bluetoothing to a speaker system?

Can't even tell you how many hours total. I've spent many years building up my collection. I just finished ripping the last of my CDs 2 weeks ago.
I have an Acura TL. It will power the hard drive up, but it can only see a maximum of 700 folders and 15000 files. I thought about splitting up into multiple Thumb Drives, but that's more of a last resort since it currently sits at 513GB. I have a 640GB 2.5" External USB powered Toshiba drive that my collection fits on with some room to spare for future growth so I would rather use it. I tried using a Raspberry PI to see the disc but even though it powered it up, it wouldn't recognize it. I'm kind of wondering if that wouldn't be the same case for the Nexus 7.
I have an Auxiliary stereo jack in my console that I could run a cable from the Nexus 7 into.

jpash549

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
At1 MB per minute I figure your 513 GB MP3 collection is about 8550 hour of music. Of course with higher sampling rate and different compression ratio could be less. Have to spend a long time in the Acura to listen to it all.

durand101

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Can't even tell you how many hours total. I've spent many years building up my collection. I just finished ripping the last of my CDs 2 weeks ago.
I have an Acura TL. It will power the hard drive up, but it can only see a maximum of 700 folders and 15000 files. I thought about splitting up into multiple Thumb Drives, but that's more of a last resort since it currently sits at 513GB. I have a 640GB 2.5" External USB powered Toshiba drive that my collection fits on with some room to spare for future growth so I would rather use it. I tried using a Raspberry PI to see the disc but even though it powered it up, it wouldn't recognize it. I'm kind of wondering if that wouldn't be the same case for the Nexus 7.
I have an Auxiliary stereo jack in my console that I could run a cable from the Nexus 7 into.

Have you tried something like this? Amazon.com: Apricorn AUSB-Y USB Power Adapter Y Cable - Black/Grey: Electronics You would need to keep one cable plugged into a socket though, so its not that portable...

not_u_again87

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
I currently have the nexus 7 and the otg cable. I also have the media importer app. When I connected the nexus to a western digital 500g my passport external hard drive, the app recognized that it was attached, but it never got past the screen the comes up and says connecting. I was told that it is probably because the nexus doesn't output enough power for the hard drive and that I should get a USB hub. Any recommendations? Relatively inexpensive recommendations?

Tom O

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I have a nexus 7 a otg cable a flash drive with media on it but I need a media importer like nexus media importer but is there a free one I can get as I cannot buy apps out of Google store without a credit card which I don't have.

AFM1204

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
I have a nexus 7 a otg cable a flash drive with media on it but I need a media importer like nexus media importer but is there a free one I can get as I cannot buy apps out of Google store without a credit card which I don't have.

If you're broke this might not help. But you could pay cash for a Play Store card to put money on your account to buy apps, music, etc. (but NO HARDWARE!)

I don't know any free to NMI.

Unicorn Rancher

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
As mentioned, you can buy a $10 Play Store card at Target or Walmart if you're in the USA.

The same company has a free app that only views photos. If you want to try that in the meantime (or only need to view photos :D ) that may be worth a shot.
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...=com.homeysoft.nexususb.viewer&token=rwY925na

sparksd

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
As a side note, I posted this in another thread:

I have a USB-powered Western Digital hard drive that works with my N7 using an OTG cable. I was curious as to how heavy the battery usage would be when powering a spinning drive so I did a small test, playing the same movie from the hard drive and then from a flash drive. Here?s what I saw (I charged the N7 between tests, usage number from battery monitor measure of charge level):

Stock 16GB N7
Play movie with MX Player Pro through Nexus Media Importer
Duration of 1 hour, screen at 100% brightness
Video: 832 x 352 1503 kbps h264 MP4

Results --

Sandisk Cruzer 64GB Thumb Drive, FAT32 -- 12% battery drain

Western Digital My Passport 500GB Portable USB 3.0 External Hard Drive, NTFS -- 23% battery drain

xender69

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

Can someone please post a link or let me know which OTG cable absolutely works with nexus 7. I have purchased two separate cables, one from ebay and other from Amazon. Both seems to work part-time and it's driving me crazy. Here are what I purchased.

This is from Amazon:
SANOXY Micro USB Host Mode OTG Cable Flash Drive SD T-Flash Card Adapter FOR Samsung GT-i9100 i9100 Galaxy S II 2 GT-N7000 Galaxy Note

This is from Ebay: (someone had recommeded this seller on either this or another forum):
EEEKit for Google Nexus 7,2x OTG Host Adapter Cable Micro USB 2.0 Converter Line (vendor is eeekitonline)

PS: does anyone know if frys carries OTG cables at their stores.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Going on a road trip soon and I need this setup so the wife can watch Golden Girls (she's not that old but somehow she got hooked :)

awesomecvl

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
I have a standard file manager and it allows me to access my otg. I can read and write files to my usb . It takes a few minutes to find your USB drive but once you find it you CAN READ AND WRITE WITH NO ROOT!
BTW the apps name that I used is File Manager by rythem software. It is an amazing app with even more features!

mr_nobody

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
I have a standard file manager and it allows me to access my otg. I can read and write files to my usb . It takes a few minutes to find your USB drive but once you find it you CAN READ AND WRITE WITH NO ROOT!
BTW the apps name that I used is File Manager by rythem software. It is an amazing app with even more features!

No offense but this sounds like BS. I assume you're talking about a Nexus 7?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

alan sh

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site

Yeah - Right. First post!!!

Alan

EDIT - I just downloaded the s/w and tried it. No way does it see my USB device. Nexus Media Importer finds it, no issues.

bigtroutz

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
I downloaded and tested File Manager HD (the tablet version) - it can NOT read USB storage on the Nexus 7. It is a decent enough File manager app tho and has some nice functions but access to USB storage without root is NOT one of them.

magwa1

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
With my N7 and 16Gb Samsung (Class 2) Micro SD cards in a USB card reader using the OTG connector, , Nexus Media Importer would sit "Waiting Foe Media" until it stopped...I think it said "time out", or something. Same data (movies) on an 8Gb SanDisc Micro SD card (a Class "4" ), no problem. I'm going to try with a 16Gb Class 6 right now.