Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Thinking about buying a Nexus 7

Hey all, thread title pretty much explains it all. I was originally going to wait for the new iPod touch, but after holding a Nexus in store today, I'm in love. What do you guys think? Should I or should I not?

Sent from my HTC One X

Default Re: Thinking about buying a Nexus 7

Quote Originally Posted by MangoPowah View Post
    Hey all, thread title pretty much explains it all. I was originally going to wait for the new iPod touch, but after holding a Nexus in store today, I'm in love. What do you guys think? Should I or should I not?

Sent from my HTC One X
    I have had my Nexus 7 for 2 weeks now and it's damn near perfection.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Go for it. I've had mine for 2 weeks also. I also have a new iPad. The iPad is cool but you will get bored with it quickly. I haven't even given 2nd thought to the iPad. If you have an android phone you can download your current apps to the Nexus 7 without the need of paying twice. I just downloaded Nova launcher to make my home screen rotate exactly like my iPad does. I will tell you that it is one of the best purchases that I have made.

Yes and don't look back.

I have several touches. I never use them due to size and iOS which I despise.

6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Awesome, thanks for all the replies! One more thing though, while going through these sections I noticed a lot of threads about random freezes, screen lifting, cracking for no reason, etc. Probably a silly thing to ask, but how likely is it that I'll get a crappy unit? I heard the more recently manufactured ones don't have any of the aforementioned issues.

Sent from my HTC One X

Global Posts
    18 Global Posts

I've had mine for about 2 months now and i haven't had any problems. I absolutely love my Nexus 7.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

I have none of those problems with two units

Awesome, thanks for all the replies! One more thing though, while going through these sections I noticed a lot of threads about random freezes, screen lifting, cracking for no reason, etc. Probably a silly thing to ask, but how likely is it that I'll get a crappy unit? I heard the more recently manufactured ones don't have any of the aforementioned issues.

Sent from my HTC One X
    yes, recent units has all those issues fixed.

Global Posts
    171 Global Posts

I've had my Nexus 7 for over a month and have had no issues.

If you have any plans to connect it to a WPA2 Enterprise Wireless network (like at a large company or many Universities) cross the Nexus 7 or any Android Jellybean product off your list of potential purchases. Google has failed miserably to address this issue which has been reported and neglected since early July. Issue 34212 - android - On Jelly Bean, failed to connect to WPA enterprise wireless - Android - An Open Handset Alliance Project - Google Project Hosting
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Quote Originally Posted by greatgoogly View Post
    If you have any plans to connect it to a WPA2 Enterprise Wireless network (like at a large company or many Universities) cross the Nexus 7 or any Android Jellybean product off your list of potential purchases. Google has failed miserably to address this issue which has been reported and neglected since early July. Issue 34212 - android - On Jelly Bean, failed to connect to WPA enterprise wireless - Android - An Open Handset Alliance Project - Google Project Hosting
    So for this scenario, I'd have to get an iPad?

Sent from my HTC One X

Sent from my HTC One X
    with rumoured jelly bean 4.2 update coming, this issue should be fixed soon.

Most of these problems seem to be there right away instead of developing over time, so you can buy locally and exchange it if there's any hardware bugs. If you're really paranoid cautious, you can ask them if you can open and inspect it in the store before you buy.

I wasn't happy with the way the Google Play Store handled the pre-orders but I'm very happy with my Nexus 7 itself.

Value for the money, you can't go wrong.....

No problems out of mine either. In fact, I am printing with my Nexus 7 as of today. I couldn't be happier.

Default Thinking about buying a Nexus 7

I'm trying to justify the purchase of the Nexus 7. I really don't need it but I really want it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Quote Originally Posted by dwaynewilliams View Post
    I'm trying to justify the purchase of the Nexus 7. I really don't need it but I really want it.

I noticed that you are typing from an iPad. Multi tasking and personalization is much better on my Nexus 7 versus my iPad 3. Not to mention the transportability of the N7. The tegra 3 and jellybean software makes this device work just as good as the iPad. My wife is a big apple fan who now wants my Nexus 7. But she knows that she is not getting it lol...

19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

Quote Originally Posted by dwaynewilliams View Post

I'm sorta in the same boat, but since Apple's practices lately have disgusted me, I don't want to give them another penny, despite how much I want to get one. Plus, a tablet would be a good companion to my One X.

Sent from my HTC One X

Global Posts
    354 Global Posts

Plus, a tablet would be a good companion to my One X.
    That's enough justification :-)
    Games and movies and web browsing are a bit better on a tablet...bigger screens help :-)

Sometimes I wish it had the 1440x900 screen of the upcoming B&N Nook but that's my only disappointment after getting a good one (Asus fixed most of the problems already).
    Doesn't sound like you're a corporate user, so you probably won't hit greatgoogly's issues (which are a driver bug according to that thread I've been following too).

or wait for a Windows Surface tablet which may be out later this year.

---------- Post Merged at 02:53 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 02:51 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by still1 View Post
    I haven't seen any rumor on a 4.2 update coming anytime soon. Sure there should be one absolutely, but I haven't seen any indication that there is any sort of update due out soon. Do you have source?

---------- Post Merged at 02:57 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 02:51 PM ----------

Not necessarily I believe the Windows Surface tablets are due out later this year

Sent from my HTC One X
    ---------- Post Merged at 02:57 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 02:51 PM ----------

Not necessarily I believe the Windows Surface tablets are due out later this year

Sent from my HTC One X

I haven't seen any rumor on a 4.2 update coming anytime soon. Sure there should be one absolutely, but I haven't seen any indication that there is any sort of update due out soon. Do you have source?

here it is Rumor: Next Nexus phone with new Android release coming in the “next 30 days” | Android and Me

The article seems pretty short on detail. Even if a new Nexus device is announced at the end of October it's very likely it will still be several weeks before it's released and it may be even longer before the update shows up for the Nexus 7. Even then we have no guarantees that it will address the WPA Enterprise Wireless issues.

---------- Post Merged at 04:22 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 04:21 PM ----------

The article seems pretty short on detail. Even if a new Nexus device is announced at the end of October it's very likely it will still be several weeks before it's released and it may be even longer before the update shows up for the Nexus 7. Even then we have no guarantees that it will address the WPA Enterprise Wireless issues.

Quote Originally Posted by still1 View Post
    4.2? Where is that discussed?

Quote Originally Posted by greatgoogly View Post
    When Nexus 7 was unveiled with Jb and released in mid july, galaxy nexus(ignoring Verizon because of CDMA) ,Nexus S and Xoom got JB right in Mid July. Carriers have no control over Nexus 7 so it will get it pretty much in a week.

yes, there is not a lot of details but its rumors and it also have rumors about JB 4.2 which is what I mentioned above.

i was hoping it get fixed in this update since it has been huge issue in jelly bean and google would have take notice.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast