Over 1 gig of storage space unaccounted for after botched download?

DShiznit

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
I got my Google Nexus 7 tablet in the mail a few days ago, and quickly took advantage of both the $25 in free credit, and the 25 cent apps. I downloaded a number of apps, and when I was downloading the most recent one, Asphalt 7, it encountered an undefined error and reported that the download was unsuccessful. I checked to see how much space was remaining, and saw only 1.2 gigs left. I knew this wouldn't be enough, so I deleted some things and freed up about 1.45 gigs, or something to that effect. The Asphalt 7 app was reported to be 1.3 gigs, so I thought, while it would be cutting it close, this would be just enough to store it(I'm used to cutting it close when copying files and homebrew apps to my 2 GB PSP). Well in the middle of the download, I got another error, this time explicitly stating that there was not enough space left. I checked the storage left, and now there was only 246 mb of space left! There was more than 1.4 gigs before I started the download! Whats worse, the amount of space it now calculates as in use by different features(including all the installed apps) does not add up to the total space used. There's a discrepancy of over a gig. I tried removing Xplane, a flight simulator and what I thought was a sizable apps, but that only freed up ~90 mb. It's a start at least, now I have 336 mb free, enough to work with I figure. I try downloading a free cleanup app, which is only a few kb. And it says there's not enough space to install. I asked some friends on a another forum, and one of them said to plug the device into my PC and check the storage on that, to see if there are any junk files left behind that I need to remove. Well I did that, but I couldn't find anything that wasn't supposed to be there(and I do have "view hidden files and folders" enabled under Windows). So I went to the highest level of the internal storage drive and highlighted everything, to see what all the files combined would add up to:
andhalp.png

There's a difference of over a gig between the amount of space used, and the total size of all visible files on the drive.

Can someone tell me what happened, and how I might fix it? I'll backup and reset the tablet if I have to, but I don't want to do that if it means losing all my saved progress in the various games I've played.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
:) don't think it means SQUAT! My Win 7 computer shows 1GB difference between used space and "total minus free" so I woudn't get obsessed over it.

DShiznit

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
Except that space was there before I started the download, and gone even after the download was canceled. I wanna know where that space went so I can avoid running into this in the future.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
question: if you want to load so many apps with large footprints, why on earth did you get the 8GB variant??

---------- Post Merged at 12:14 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 12:13 PM ----------

if you really think there is a file allocation issue, then do a reset, perhaps.

DShiznit

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
To save money, and because I'm rather skilled at budgeting my space, e.g. only loading apps I want for that day, then swapping out when I want something else. This is easy on my psp, where I can just swap out the isos for whatever games I want to have on at that time. My problem here is that now there's a gig of space missing, that neither Windows nor Android can account for. When I look at the storage use, the bar starts almost full(because it says there's only a few hundred megs of space left) but when it finishes calculating what is using up that space, the bar immediately shrinks, leaving this 1 gig chunk that should be available(because nothing is using it) but for some unknown reason is not. I want to know why that is and how to address it. Right now I'm working on clearing enough space to install Titanium Backup so I can back up some saves so I can try a factory reset.

EDIT- nevermind, it requires root privledges and I don't want to void the manufacturers warranty(especially if this turns about to be a design flaw that later requires servicing). Unless someone can give me an alternative, I'm going to go ahead with the factory restore, hoping Google backed-up the save data from my games.

Last edited:

Zapflashgone

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
I had this same type thing happen the other day. I too had gotten in on a couple of the $.25 apps.... nothing "big".
Tried to do an update of apps and it tells me there is not enough room. I can do the math. I know what was previously loaded on the pad. I went from around 5gigs free to 1.3. Deleted a big movie. Still wouldn't update the apps.
I did a reset, since there wasn't anything on the pad that I couldn't afford to lose. Just the time to set all my accounts and everything back up.

DShiznit

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
Before you do a reset:

Did you try rebooting the device yet?

Yes, several times. No effect.

The only thing I'd really be upset at losing would my save data from Mass Effect: Infiltrator. That game is a HUGE pain in the arse to play and advance in, and I've spent many frustrating hours trying to get as far as I did. I also just got my app arrangement and wallpaper etc. just the way I like, and would really rather not have to do all that stuff again.

@Zapflashgone: any idea why exactly this happens and how to prevent it? I can reset this time, but if I have to do it regularly it's going to be a problem.

NotJustAPhone

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Take a look at the sdcard/Android/obb and the sdcard/Android/data folders. There may be app data still there for apps that have been deleted.

Sent from my SGSIII

hichris123

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
The unaccounted space is probably the download file, not all of it. The reason it would not install is because it needs space to unpack, as well as download.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

DShiznit

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
Take a look at the sdcard/Android/obb and the sdcard/Android/data folders. There may be app data still there for apps that have been deleted.

Sent from my SGSIII

I already did. The app data that is there is only for apps I have installed.

The unaccounted space is probably the download file, not all of it. The reason it would not install is because it needs space to unpack, as well as download.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Then where is the file, and why can't I find or delete it? Windows registers the same discrepancy in space as the Android OS. It's like its hidden from both Operating systems. Could there be something on there that only a linux file browser could see?

NotJustAPhone

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
How many apps have you downloaded? If you have a lot of apps, that could account for the discrepancy you're seeing.

Apps are stored in a hidden folder named data/app. I just checked mine (I'm rooted and have access to that folder), and there's nearly 900 megs of app files stored on my phone.

Sent from my SGSIII

DShiznit

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
How many apps have you downloaded? If you have a lot of apps, that could account for the discrepancy you're seeing.

Apps are stored in a hidden folder named data/app. I just checked mine (I'm rooted and have access to that folder), and there's nearly 900 megs of app files stored on my phone.

Sent from my SGSIII

Then why isn't the Android OS reporting that when it calculates the amount of space apps are using? If there is hidden data in the usable part of my internal storage, why can't it be read on my computer? If (as I suspect) such data is stored in the hidden part reserved for the OS, why would there be a discrepancy in the part my computer can see?

If I did root the device, would it void my manufacturers warranty? I'm having trouble finding out Google/ASUS's stand on this, and I don't want to have to give up my warranty to perform maintenance on my tablet(though I'm pretty sure the data stored in root is separate from the readable internal storage anyway).

Last edited:

DShiznit

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
reset=put this behind you and move on with life
Unless it happens again. Although I suppose I could try to watch my space more carefully and not even try to download a large app if I don't have at least twice the space available. And not store any movies on my tablet until I go somewhere I might need them(like a road trip). Alright I'm gonna give that a shot.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
listen...I had a problem with lag like you wouldn't believe. my n7 slowed down by a factor of more than 10. I did a reset a couple weeks ago and it's all good. fast as lightning now. there's been no degradation since the reset. KEEP THE FAITH!

DShiznit

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
I did the reset, I still haven't reinstalled all my apps(but Google does keep track of all the ones I've ever installed, so it should be fairly easy). In windows I'm now seeing a discrepancy of just over 500mb. Still more than I'd like, but I'll take it for now, as long as there is no more surprise loss of space.

Last edited: