Wi-Fi Connection on 5.0 Ghz

Corey Bryant

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
We have a hidden network and with a Cisco / Linksys E4200v2 with Dual band. I was not able to connect to the hidden network so I used my HTC Radar (Windows mobile 7.5) and shared my Internet connection.

I called Nexus support and they told me that it was a provider issue and I needed to call Comcast / Xfinity (that did not sound right, but what do I know). I called Xfinity and they said that the router determined this. I called Nexus support back and the gentleman that I spoke with seemed to know more. He told me that Nexus 7 would only connect to 2.4 Ghz.

I thought this was odd but is there something that I can do to connect the Nexus 7 to the hidden network (5.0 GHz) (without rooting it)?

Thank you!

horseshoe

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, the silly device is restricted to 2.4. So I have my home network routers dual banned to know the N7 and the GN. Another advantage to the router with two frequencies.

HisSvt2

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
5ghz n is useless on devices like this it has shorter range than 2.4 and 2.4 has more than enough bandwidth for this device my wife's Xoom is on the 5ghz n in my house since it never leaves the room its in and it doesn't stream any faster than my N7 on 2.4G

Ravynmagi

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I have over a dozen 2.4GHz wifi networks around me in my neighborhood. This is impacting my range quite a bit. However I seem to have the only 5GHz router and I get much better range and performance on my Galaxy Nexus.

Also my Xbox 360 bluetooth headset seems to be interfering with my 2.4GHz wifi on my Nexus 7, as my speeds immediately get cut in half as soon as I turn on my bluetooth headset. I also have to pause videos I may be watching if I take the Nexus 7 into the kitchen and use the microwave.

Seems odd that a tablet gets released in 2012 without a 5GHz band. Seems like an odd corner to cut.

HisSvt2

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
I have over a dozen 2.4GHz wifi networks around me in my neighborhood. This is impacting my range quite a bit. However I seem to have the only 5GHz router and I get much better range and performance on my Galaxy Nexus.

Also my Xbox 360 bluetooth headset seems to be interfering with my 2.4GHz wifi on my Nexus 7, as my speeds immediately get cut in half as soon as I turn on my bluetooth headset. I also have to pause videos I may be watching if I take the Nexus 7 into the kitchen and use the microwave.

Seems odd that a tablet gets released in 2012 without a 5GHz band. Seems like an odd corner to cut.
What router do you have? Also what channel are you on in comparison to the other 2.4 networks in your range? 5ghz works great in shorter distance don't get me wrong but it cannot go through solid objects like 2.4 can. Also forget auto channel select and pick either 1,6,11 depending on what other wireless is near you. If you are getting interference from your microwave and Xbox then your router must not be very strong. I run in my house 3 wireless networks a 2.4b/g , 2.4g only and a 5n only and never have issues and I stream blu-ray rips to all my devices. Also the Xbox 360 does not use Bluetooth at all only 2.4 ps3 uses both and I've never had those issues.

HisSvt2

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
We have a hidden network and with a Cisco / Linksys E4200v2 with Dual band. I was not able to connect to the hidden network so I used my HTC Radar (Windows mobile 7.5) and shared my Internet connection.

I called Nexus support and they told me that it was a provider issue and I needed to call Comcast / Xfinity (that did not sound right, but what do I know). I called Xfinity and they said that the router determined this. I called Nexus support back and the gentleman that I spoke with seemed to know more. He told me that Nexus 7 would only connect to 2.4 Ghz.

I thought this was odd but is there something that I can do to connect the Nexus 7 to the hidden network (5.0 GHz) (without rooting it)?

Thank you!
Don't hide the name lots of devices don't like that then pick a channel turn off auto channel if its on. Use WiFi analyser app and pick channel 1,6,11 depending which one is lowest signal strength on the other routers near you.

Ravynmagi

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
What router do you have? Also what channel are you on in comparison to the other 2.4 networks in your range? 5ghz works great in shorter distance don't get me wrong but it cannot go through solid objects like 2.4 can. Also forget auto channel select and pick either 1,6,11 depending on what other wireless is near you. If you are getting interference from your microwave and Xbox then your router must not be very strong. I run in my house 3 wireless networks a 2.4b/g , 2.4g only and a 5n only and never have issues and I stream blu-ray rips to all my devices. Also the Xbox 360 does not use Bluetooth at all only 2.4 ps3 uses both and I've never had those issues.

I have an ASUS RT-N66U. Unfortunately my neighbors have done a good job spreading themselves out across all the channels. Four on channel 1, two on channel 4, four on channel 6, two on channel 9, three on channel 11.

I'm using channel 4 since 1, 6, and 11 are pretty crowded. Also using the Tx Power Adjustment from 80mW to 100mW, though I'm not sure I've seen any difference.

I am referring to the Xbox 360 bluetooth headset.

My 5GHz band seems to work pretty good with the router in the middle of the house, going through two walls, to my backyard. I get maximum strength and 65Mbps on the 5GHz with my Galaxy Nexus. While I get moderate strength and 13Mbps on the 2.4GHz on my Nexus 7 and that sometimes even drops to poor strength.

Corey Bryant

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I am not that much of a Tech Greek, but find it disappointing once again that this technology has been out there for quite some time and it took me 4 hours to get it to connect to the router instead off going through my(about 18 month old) HTC Radar running Windows Mobile 7.5?

What happens to those that go to hotspots and can't connect because of this issue? I guess one hopes that they are behind. I just find it funny that I might need to rely on my Windows Phone as back.

You should hide the network if possible. I'll try to ask Sean some other ideas since.we went through the same issue when my last Windows Phone (7.0) would work on a broadcasted SSID.

HisSvt2

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
I have an ASUS RT-N66U. Unfortunately my neighbors have done a good job spreading themselves out across all the channels. Four on channel 1, two on channel 4, four on channel 6, two on channel 9, three on channel 11.

I'm using channel 4 since 1, 6, and 11 are pretty crowded. Also using the Tx Power Adjustment from 80mW to 100mW, though I'm not sure I've seen any difference.

I am referring to the Xbox 360 bluetooth headset.

My 5GHz band seems to work pretty good with the router in the middle of the house, going through two walls, to my backyard. I get maximum strength and 65Mbps on the 5GHz with my Galaxy Nexus. While I get moderate strength and 13Mbps on the 2.4GHz on my Nexus 7 and that sometimes even drops to poor strength.
Don't use 4 pick the best of either 1 6 or 11 the one that is least crowded near you the in between channels overlap and end up less powerful. This might be helpful it is from a discussion I had before on this topic. I set up networks in neighborhoods all the time.

the strength of a signal has nothing to do with it's utilization, but SNR comes into play here. Let's say you have 3 AP's on channel 1, and the strongest is -60dBm (neighboring apartment), whereas you have 7 AP's on channel 6 and the strongest is -90dBm. While you can't KNOW the strength of each user on 6, it's a REASONABLE BET that channel 6 is more likely to be able to get you a SNR adequate for good speeds. Of course, that's not a bet I make when doing installs, but the average consumer has to work with the tools available to them. Thus signal strength is an adequate tool to make a reasonable bet on what channel is most likely to be cleanest for them, nothing more though.

BTW hiding your ssid slows your network
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,8735225

Last edited:

Ravynmagi

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Don't use 4 pick the best of either 1 6 or 11 the one that is least crowded near you the in between channels overlap and end up less powerful. This might be helpful it is from a discussion I had before on this topic. I set up networks in neighborhoods all the time.

the strength of a signal has nothing to do with it's utilization, but SNR comes into play here. Let's say you have 3 AP's on channel 1, and the strongest is -60dBm (neighboring apartment), whereas you have 7 AP's on channel 6 and the strongest is -90dBm. While you can't KNOW the strength of each user on 6, it's a REASONABLE BET that channel 6 is more likely to be able to get you a SNR adequate for good speeds. Of course, that's not a bet I make when doing installs, but the average consumer has to work with the tools available to them. Thus signal strength is an adequate tool to make a reasonable bet on what channel is most likely to be cleanest for them, nothing more though.

BTW hiding your ssid slows your network
Debunking the Myth of SSID Hiding - Wireless Networking | DSLReports Forums

My slow mind has been trying to get a grip on why I should worry about overlap and use only channels, 1, 6, and 11, when there is also overlap from people using 4 and 9. 1, 6, and 11 are the busiest so seem like the ones I should be avoiding. But after thinking about this overlapping issue. Am I correct to understand 1, 6, and 11 are better because it's better to be using a more crowded channel with less overlap (fewer people are using 4 and 9) than a less used channel with more overlap. Me using the less used channel 4, I'm getting overlap from all the people on channel 1 and channel 6.

Channel 6 is crowded and has people on 4 and 9 overlapping with it, so probably not ideal either. So I assume in my situation 1 or 11 are better since only one lesser used channel (4 or 9) are overlapping on those.

Anyway, I still think the Nexus 7 should have come with 5GHz support. My Galaxy Nexus has it, why not the Nexus 7? I can't imagine it adds that much to the cost.

Corey Bryant

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Do you know any reason why that is? I would think that 5.0 is better and it has been out for quite some time.

---------- Post Merged at 05:51 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 05:47 PM ----------

5ghz n is useless on devices like this it has shorter range than 2.4 and 2.4 has more than enough bandwidth for this device my wife's Xoom is on the 5ghz n in my house since it never leaves the room its in and it doesn't stream any faster than my N7 on 2.4G
Sorry I missed this one. We have been using the 5.0 for a very long time with no problems - for a long time, we were connecting TiVos, Xbox, PSP all with the 5.0 with no problems. I would just think there would be an option to connect.

I am just glad we have two, I just don't like using an unhidden SSID. Over the weekend, I had to go thru my HTC Radar to connect until we re-set up the other frequency

HisSvt2

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Do you know any reason why that is? I would think that 5.0 is better and it has been out for quite some time.

---------- Post Merged at 05:51 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 05:47 PM ----------

Sorry I missed this one. We have been using the 5.0 for a very long time with no problems - for a long time, we were connecting TiVos, Xbox, PSP all with the 5.0 with no problems. I would just think there would be an option to connect.

I am just glad we have two, I just don't like using an unhidden SSID. Over the weekend, I had to go thru my HTC Radar to connect until we re-set up the other frequency
OK now you have me confused. You say that you use 5ghz n on devices that have no 5 GHz n support what so ever the Xbox uses 2.4 b/g/n only and the PSP is 2.4 b only. And the HTC radar only supports 2.4b/g/n

Corey Bryant

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Actually, I have no idea what happened. When he came home, and re-set it up with the hidden network, it connected with no problems.

I have read all the articles, but when someone working in the banking industry for 25 yrs, there is not too much arguing. I even downloaded that Kismet one time and showed him, but he is as stubborn as I am.

I noticed that when I "shared" my Internet connection with my HTC Radar Windows phone, it actually turned the Wi-Fi off and used the 4G

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463