If you really like your nexus 7...

ShortFuse321

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

I'm just curious, I've seen a lot of people post that they love their Nexus 7. If you fall into that category, can you mention how you use your Nexus 7 and what it is you do with it that you like so much.

I bought mine 2 weeks ago and it is mostly defect free. I'm finding that I don't use it as much as I thought I would, just for browsing and email. I had hoped to use it for more work tasks or anything more practical.

Just curious how others are using it that makes you like it so much. Thanks for any response.

okn7

Sep 2, 2012
Visit site
Let's see... last week I used it to:
- download and read a couple books, one from the library,
- periodic web and email,
- photograph an electric switch I was repairing and then marked up the image to use for reassembly,
- play some puzzle games,
- listen to some music at bedtime,
- calendar scheduling,
- measured the decibel level of my barking hound dog. (using 25 cent app from Google Play)
and that's only last week.

I like that its size makes it easier than a laptop to use for most tasks, keep with me and remain charged. And Google Now just keeps getting better the more I use it!

Irvgotti

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I use it browse. Read. Watch HBO go. I use it to text. Its just a lot easier to do this on the bigger screen. I play some sweeeeet games. Video chat.. I never put it down. I have a Mac book pro and I can't remember the last time I've used it

Rizz1-2

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Mine has become an extension of me lately. I use it of course for the usual games and browsing. But it has become much more useful than I anticipated. I use it a lot at work, scheduling, taking notes, and editing spreadsheets on the go. I also have 3D model viewer on it so I can take some of my designs with me to meet with some other engineers and machinists. It saves a lot of time and paper not having to go back and forth to my desk to get printouts of whatever fixture I happen to be designing at that time. Also aside from work, video chat is great and many times replaces a normal phone call completely for me. Last but not least I read on it when I can. I love being able to bring a small group of books with me where ever I go. Enjoy your nexus!

Last edited:

mkhall

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I still do all my real work on a laptop/desktop, but the Nexus 7 and NS4G cover me on nearly everything else. That "everything else" includes:
  • browsing
  • general research
  • news & feed consumption
  • social media
  • listening to music (where there's a connection)
  • reading books and comics
  • simple games
  • watching the occasional movie or TV show
  • and more
Many people, I think, expect something like the N7 to completely replace their computer. It can, but only with a a lot of effort and compromise. On the other hand, most people don't use the computers they have for anything other than browsing, email, and social media, so tablets have them covered.

Just my $0.02, anyway.

alnexus

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
It's nice to be in a favorite comfortable chair online, and reading in bed, and reading outside too.
With winter coming, wondering if N7 in freezing temps ok?

Dubbin1

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
Read books
Read forums
GPS in the car,
Google Currents
Games
Music
Videos
View maps of areas of interest
And more.

shona001

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
I use mine a lot more than I thought I would mainly for
browsing
emails
SatNav in the car
Music
Films (download to watch on train)
TV in bed
Reading Books - loads
Google maps for travelling the world and seeing places I will probably never get to - I love going to street view and compass mode and looking around, keeps me occupied for hours
And loads more stuff that I can't think of just now.

bawboh86

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Reading books
Browsing the net
I have DocsToGo, so I do some document editing
Games
Videos on the go (tether it to my phone, and have a bigger screen with which to watch videos)
Video chat
Email

joe.mainusch

Aug 17, 2012
Visit site
At work:
  • Email
  • Calendar
  • Quick notes (Supernote, Google NOW: "note to self...")
  • Task management (Redmine)
  • Inventory management (Spiceworks)
  • Look up any needed technical info while elbow deep in server rack hell
  • Phone calls when my EVO runs out of battery AGAIN (GrooveIP)
  • Messaging (Google Voice)
  • Reminders
  • Taking quick pictures of hardware (though that task is a bit clumsy with the front facing camera. I usually use my phone for that... but sometimes)

Outside of work:
  • Email
  • Calendar
  • SMS Messaging
  • GPS
  • Random web surfing
  • Reading Tech/Political/Theological/Music news (RSS Reader, Currents)
  • Reading magazines
  • Social networking (Facebook, Google+, LinkedIn)
  • Video chatting with distant family/friends (Google+, Skype)
  • Reading sheet music when playing guitar at Church (worth the price right there!)
  • Watch a missed episode of a TV show
  • Watch a movie
  • Phone calls when my EVO runs out of battery AGAIN (GrooveIP)
  • Tinkering around with it for its own sake

Now I realize that pretty much everything (except GPS, and taking pictures of installed hardware) could be done with a desktop or laptop, and done much better. I do most of my work on a desktop, and most web surfing and such on a laptop at home. Desktops are not mobile, however, and laptops aren't as mobile as you might think (the N7 fits in my back pocket, and is always with me). Also, a laptop takes a lot longer to wake up, accomplish a simple task, and put back to sleep. They don't have as good battery life either.

Most of these are very convenient on a tablet, and I suppose any tablet would work as well. Although other tablets I've tried always seem much more sluggish and jerky, which could make them more frustrating to use when you're in a situation.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Reading books, playing word feud, looking at news, playing music, email, calendar, checking the stock market, browsing the web. I hardly use my android phone now . the Nexus 7 is the coolest device I have bought in years

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

djnshores

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
The N7 is convenient to use to check email, web browse, check Facebook and Twitter activity. I also use Pulse for news of interest. I have several games I like. I watch webcams of places around the globe. And I have used it to place video calls to family and friends. Occasionally, I will watch a Netflix movie.

F0REVERY0UNG-

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
Last year I spent $1300 on a shiny new MacBook Pro and it's now been rendered useless.
I use my N7 for: email, web browsing, social media, Netflix, video chatting, lightweight word processing, note taking, and most importantly (for me) reading.
I actually prefer reading ebooks over physical books.
I take this thing to class with me and it's so easy to carry around and it allows me to study and read textbooks whenever I have a short break or while I'm on the train.
So, essentially I wasted $1300, my N7 can do everything that I use my MBP for. :banghead:

Last edited:

JusticeCalibur

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
• 1st and foremost - Being King of the Castle
• Video games
• Movies / TV shows
• Social Medias
• Emails (whenever connection is there)
• Web Browsing

Its my home away computer or when I get lazy and dont want to sit at the computer.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Things I already was able to do on my Thunderbolt that I can now do better (due to the larger screen):
- Videos
- Word/casual games
- Social media

Things that were not practical on my Thunderbolt that I can do on the Nexus:
- Higher-end gaming
- Reference library (viewing a diagram on a 4.2" screen is impractical, on a 7" screen it's mostly tolerable)
- Drawing - finally a screen large enough to do some simple sketches. Not that I'm very artistic.
- Reading anything of any length is now much less straining.

Things where the Nexus is no better or worse than my phone:
- Music(as long as it's on a local desktop or Google Music)

Things where the Nexus is worse than my phone
- Mapping/directions (no data away from home)
- Photography (no decent camera)
- Offline music or other media (due to lack of internal storage and no expansion capability)

Practical use? No, not really. It's a tablet, which means media consumption with limited typing. It's better than my phone at some things, and worse than others. My desktop computer trumps all of them in terms of actual practical uses, but it's not so portable.

ShortFuse321

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
Thanks everyone for the great responses. Some really good stuff. I may have to post a follow up thread to figure out how to do a couple of these things like GPS ( I haven't been successful at downloading maps) and teathering. Anyway, thanks again.

chuckr01

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I use mine for reading, mostly Kindle, but I'm reading a Google book now, they have freebies too but not many that I have found, and e-mail. The apps you can find for other uses are endless. Two I found recently are helpful. Kingsoft Office reads and edits Word, Excel and Powerpoint files and 7Notes lets you write on the screen with your finger or stylus and it translates it to text. I use my home computer less and less.

quarky_uk

Jul 19, 2012
Visit site
Reading (kindle)
Listening to music
Watching films on the train
Browsing the internet at home
Browsing the internet at work (another screen for reference)
Reading notes and compiling information with evernote
Teaching my son to read (Cat in the Hat)
Playing (fifa 12)
Replying to emails
Facebook
Twitter
Practising another language with busuu
Playing Words with Friends with my wife.

That was today anyway...

veevans01

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
Let's see... last week I used it to:
- download and read a couple books, one from the library,
- periodic web and email,
- photograph an electric switch I was repairing and then marked up the image to use for reassembly,
- play some puzzle games,
- listen to some music at bedtime,
- calendar scheduling,
- measured the decibel level of my barking hound dog. (using 25 cent app from Google Play)
and that's only last week.

I like that its size makes it easier than a laptop to use for most tasks, keep with me and remain charged. And Google Now just keeps getting better the more I use it!

You said that you photographed an electric switch. Did you transfer it from another device to mark up the image?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m1000