Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default If you really like your nexus 7...

Hi,

I'm just curious, I've seen a lot of people post that they love their Nexus 7. If you fall into that category, can you mention how you use your Nexus 7 and what it is you do with it that you like so much.

I bought mine 2 weeks ago and it is mostly defect free. I'm finding that I don't use it as much as I thought I would, just for browsing and email. I had hoped to use it for more work tasks or anything more practical.

Just curious how others are using it that makes you like it so much. Thanks for any response.

Default Re: If you really like your nexus 7...

Let's see... last week I used it to:
    - download and read a couple books, one from the library,
    - periodic web and email,
    - photograph an electric switch I was repairing and then marked up the image to use for reassembly,
    - play some puzzle games,
    - listen to some music at bedtime,
    - calendar scheduling,
    - measured the decibel level of my barking hound dog. (using 25 cent app from Google Play)
    and that's only last week.

I like that its size makes it easier than a laptop to use for most tasks, keep with me and remain charged. And Google Now just keeps getting better the more I use it!

ROM
    Stock Sense 4.1.1

I use it browse. Read. Watch HBO go. I use it to text. Its just a lot easier to do this on the bigger screen. I play some sweeeeet games. Video chat.. I never put it down. I have a Mac book pro and I can't remember the last time I've used it
    Privacy is overrated :P

Global Posts
    303 Global Posts

Mine has become an extension of me lately. I use it of course for the usual games and browsing. But it has become much more useful than I anticipated. I use it a lot at work, scheduling, taking notes, and editing spreadsheets on the go. I also have 3D model viewer on it so I can take some of my designs with me to meet with some other engineers and machinists. It saves a lot of time and paper not having to go back and forth to my desk to get printouts of whatever fixture I happen to be designing at that time. Also aside from work, video chat is great and many times replaces a normal phone call completely for me. Last but not least I read on it when I can. I love being able to bring a small group of books with me where ever I go. Enjoy your nexus!
    Last edited by Rizz1-2; 10-03-2012 at 07:18 AM. Reason: spelling
    webegone likes this.

Global Posts
    117 Global Posts

I still do all my real work on a laptop/desktop, but the Nexus 7 and NS4G cover me on nearly everything else. That "everything else" includes:
    • browsing
    • general research
    • news & feed consumption
    • social media
    • listening to music (where there's a connection)
    • reading books and comics
    • simple games
    • watching the occasional movie or TV show
    • and more

Many people, I think, expect something like the N7 to completely replace their computer. It can, but only with a a lot of effort and compromise. On the other hand, most people don't use the computers they have for anything other than browsing, email, and social media, so tablets have them covered.

Just my $0.02, anyway.

It's nice to be in a favorite comfortable chair online, and reading in bed, and reading outside too.
    With winter coming, wondering if N7 in freezing temps ok?

Global Posts
    432 Global Posts

Read books
    Read forums
    GPS in the car,
    Google Currents
    Games
    Music
    Videos
    View maps of areas of interest
    And more.

I use mine a lot more than I thought I would mainly for
    browsing
    emails
    SatNav in the car
    Music
    Films (download to watch on train)
    TV in bed
    Reading Books - loads
    Google maps for travelling the world and seeing places I will probably never get to - I love going to street view and compass mode and looking around, keeps me occupied for hours
    And loads more stuff that I can't think of just now.

Reading!

Reading books
    Browsing the net
    I have DocsToGo, so I do some document editing
    Games
    Videos on the go (tether it to my phone, and have a bigger screen with which to watch videos)
    Video chat
    Email

ROM
    EVO: CM7 / N7: Stock JB

At work:
    • Email
    • Calendar
    • Quick notes (Supernote, Google NOW: "note to self...")
    • Task management (Redmine)
    • Inventory management (Spiceworks)
    • Look up any needed technical info while elbow deep in server rack hell
    • Phone calls when my EVO runs out of battery AGAIN (GrooveIP)
    • Messaging (Google Voice)
    • Reminders
    • Taking quick pictures of hardware (though that task is a bit clumsy with the front facing camera. I usually use my phone for that... but sometimes)

Outside of work:
    • Email
    • Calendar
    • SMS Messaging
    • GPS
    • Random web surfing
    • Reading Tech/Political/Theological/Music news (RSS Reader, Currents)
    • Reading magazines
    • Social networking (Facebook, Google+, LinkedIn)
    • Video chatting with distant family/friends (Google+, Skype)
    • Reading sheet music when playing guitar at Church (worth the price right there!)
    • Watch a missed episode of a TV show
    • Watch a movie
    • Phone calls when my EVO runs out of battery AGAIN (GrooveIP)
    • Tinkering around with it for its own sake

Now I realize that pretty much everything (except GPS, and taking pictures of installed hardware) could be done with a desktop or laptop, and done much better. I do most of my work on a desktop, and most web surfing and such on a laptop at home. Desktops are not mobile, however, and laptops aren't as mobile as you might think (the N7 fits in my back pocket, and is always with me). Also, a laptop takes a lot longer to wake up, accomplish a simple task, and put back to sleep. They don't have as good battery life either.

Most of these are very convenient on a tablet, and I suppose any tablet would work as well. Although other tablets I've tried always seem much more sluggish and jerky, which could make them more frustrating to use when you're in a situation.

Reading books, playing word feud, looking at news, playing music, email, calendar, checking the stock market, browsing the web. I hardly use my android phone now . the Nexus 7 is the coolest device I have bought in years

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    Samsung Note 2

I use mine primarily around the house for web browsing and e-mail instead of a laptop as it's much more convenient to pick up and also gets vastly better battery life. I got tired of only getting 2 hours (3 at best) on the laptop and having to plug it in and be tethered to a cord. Also on Sundays, I use DirecTV's Sunday Ticket app to keep up with all the NFL game scores, watch a secondary game (in the small window in the upper right), while having the big game of choice on the big screen TV in the living room. Or when I have to work the weekend it's easy to bring the Nexus 7 along, tether it to my rooted Thunderbolt (on LTE) and again watch games and keep up with scores.

Note: if you're rooted you have to disable/hide Super User before launching the Sunday Ticket for Tablets app or it'll crash. If rooted via Zero Neck's awesome guide here: http://forums.androidcentral.com/nex...-recovery.html, then SuperSU by Chainfire was installed. To disable it, launch it (from the app drawer), under settings uncheck "Enable SuperUser" effectively disabling/hiding it. To re-enable, check it again.
    Last edited by Synycalwon; 10-02-2012 at 11:03 AM. Reason: Corrected words that were reversed in second sentence
    djnshores likes this.

The N7 is convenient to use to check email, web browse, check Facebook and Twitter activity. I also use Pulse for news of interest. I have several games I like. I watch webcams of places around the globe. And I have used it to place video calls to family and friends. Occasionally, I will watch a Netflix movie.

Last year I spent $1300 on a shiny new MacBook Pro and it's now been rendered useless.
    I use my N7 for: email, web browsing, social media, Netflix, video chatting, lightweight word processing, note taking, and most importantly (for me) reading.
    I actually prefer reading ebooks over physical books.
    I take this thing to class with me and it's so easy to carry around and it allows me to study and read textbooks whenever I have a short break or while I'm on the train.
    So, essentially I wasted $1300, my N7 can do everything that I use my MBP for. :banghead:

Last edited by F0REVERY0UNG; 10-02-2012 at 03:39 PM.
    1812dave likes this.

• 1st and foremost - Being King of the Castle
    • Video games
    • Movies / TV shows
    • Social Medias
    • Emails (whenever connection is there)
    • Web Browsing

Its my home away computer or when I get lazy and dont want to sit at the computer.

ROM
    Stock

Things I already was able to do on my Thunderbolt that I can now do better (due to the larger screen):
    - Videos
    - Word/casual games
    - Social media

Things that were not practical on my Thunderbolt that I can do on the Nexus:
    - Higher-end gaming
    - Reference library (viewing a diagram on a 4.2" screen is impractical, on a 7" screen it's mostly tolerable)
    - Drawing - finally a screen large enough to do some simple sketches. Not that I'm very artistic.
    - Reading anything of any length is now much less straining.

Things where the Nexus is no better or worse than my phone:
    - Music(as long as it's on a local desktop or Google Music)

Things where the Nexus is worse than my phone
    - Mapping/directions (no data away from home)
    - Photography (no decent camera)
    - Offline music or other media (due to lack of internal storage and no expansion capability)

Practical use? No, not really. It's a tablet, which means media consumption with limited typing. It's better than my phone at some things, and worse than others. My desktop computer trumps all of them in terms of actual practical uses, but it's not so portable.
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

Thanks everyone for the great responses. Some really good stuff. I may have to post a follow up thread to figure out how to do a couple of these things like GPS ( I haven't been successful at downloading maps) and teathering. Anyway, thanks again.

I use mine for reading, mostly Kindle, but I'm reading a Google book now, they have freebies too but not many that I have found, and e-mail. The apps you can find for other uses are endless. Two I found recently are helpful. Kingsoft Office reads and edits Word, Excel and Powerpoint files and 7Notes lets you write on the screen with your finger or stylus and it translates it to text. I use my home computer less and less.

Reading (kindle)
    Listening to music
    Watching films on the train
    Browsing the internet at home
    Browsing the internet at work (another screen for reference)
    Reading notes and compiling information with evernote
    Teaching my son to read (Cat in the Hat)
    Playing (fifa 12)
    Replying to emails
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Practising another language with busuu
    Playing Words with Friends with my wife.

That was today anyway...

Quote Originally Posted by okn7 View Post
    Let's see... last week I used it to:
    - download and read a couple books, one from the library,
    - periodic web and email,
    - photograph an electric switch I was repairing and then marked up the image to use for reassembly,
    - play some puzzle games,
    - listen to some music at bedtime,
    - calendar scheduling,
    - measured the decibel level of my barking hound dog. (using 25 cent app from Google Play)
    and that's only last week.

I like that its size makes it easier than a laptop to use for most tasks, keep with me and remain charged. And Google Now just keeps getting better the more I use it!
    You said that you photographed an electric switch. Did you transfer it from another device to mark up the image?

Global Posts
    501 Global Posts

I do love my nexus. Like you though I think I was expecting for it to part the sea. . I was thinking about that today too and for me. Its nice not having my phone which means work with me all the time.

The portability. The power in this Lil device is awesome for gaming. Something new for me to learn as well. Love gadgets so this is a great gadget for passing the time.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    Procrastinate now, don't put it off.

I've been playing games this past sale. Dang, if only I had known about the great games there is.

I use it for gaming such as bards tale and ff3. And reading. I've read 3 books off of it so far. Love it. And I use the 7 to browse the Internet a lot. My son, who is 2, uses it a lot for a learning tool. I have about 6 apps that he uses frequently that helps him with colors, letters, animals and shapes. He probably uses it more than I do.

Global Posts
    4,722 Global Posts
    ROM
    All Stock

My N7 replaced a 10.1" gTablet. The larger device was getting to be too heavy to carry around all the time. My wife has an A100, and I found the 7" size to be more ideal.

I find that I use the N7 more than I did the gTablet. Some of the things I do:

- Reading (Kindle app)
    - Magazines (Zinio)
    - Forums (Tapatalk)
    - Google Now
    - Play a few games
    - Amazon Prime Videos
    - Information lookup.
    - Stream music (Pandora, Google Music)

I still use my computer for work. The N7 sits on my desk, streaming music, podcast, or even a movie while I concentrate on my computer work. I have enough apps open on the desktop to keep me busy with work. Having the N7 off to the side just helps offload non-essential things.
    RuneCryption - Unique memory puzzle game for Android. ( Google Play - Amazon Appstore )
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast