Buyer's remorse?? What will I use the Nexus 7 for when I get the Galaxy Nexus II?

okungnyo

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
So I ordered the Nexus 7, and I'm going to get the Galaxy Nexus II when it comes out because right now I have a flip phone.

And while waiting, I've read some posts and talked to people who have the Galaxy Nexus 1 and the Nexus 7. And they primarily fall into two camps:
(1) those whose Galaxy Nexuses have become glorified tethering machines, and who do everything on their Nexus 7s
(2) those who returned their Nexus 7s after they realized that having both is redundant, and went back to using only the Galaxy Nexuses

Is the Nexus 7 necessary? I would like to hear how you use your smartphone and your Nexus 7. Thanks.

muiriddin

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
The Nexus 7 has stopped me from going to the computer for most things, while the phone is the always with me truly mobile device. So for me the 7 isn't replacing the phone, but it is replacing the computer much more while the phone is still my primary mobile device. I will say that on vacation these days I will probably not take a laptop anymore. When I get home and have wifi the tablet is my terminal of choice for internet/books/magazines/mobile games/and some video...

JustinMueller8810

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Smartphone for calling/texting people & taking decent photos.

Nexus 7 for everything else, including replacing the laptop almost completely.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

okungnyo

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
So you aren't using your smartphone as a smartphone. Would you be impacted in any way if your smartphone was replaced by a dumbphone and a Verizon Jetpack (for the Nexus 7)?

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
So you aren't using your smartphone as a smartphone. Would you be impacted in any way if your smartphone was replaced by a dumbphone and a Verizon Jetpack (for the Nexus 7)?

In my case, I'm still using my smartphone (HTC Thunderbolt) as a smartphone. The Nexus 7 stays home and gets used for watching movies, reading books, and playing games. I bought it because it has a large screen, a fast processor, and it was less expensive than it would have been to upgrade my Thunderbolt to a larger, faster smartphone. When I'm home, the Thunderbolt tends to stay on the counter or in my holster on my belt.

But when I'm out and about, I use my Thunderbolt frequently. The Nexus 7 is too big for me to carry around in any sort of practical fashion, too delicate for me to want to haul it around anyway, and too shiny for me to want to leave it on my desk at work. Plus I don't honestly have a use case for it at work yet (though storing reference documentation and taking meeting notes is starting to look pretty tempting).

BaMaDuDe87

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
I have a galaxy nexus and really want a nexus 7 but after playing with one in the store and playing with my moms galaxy tab 2 10.1 I just cannot justify getting a 7" tablet at this point in time. Its really not that much bigger than my phone to justify $200. If there was a nexus 10 out I'd be all over it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

KitN

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
My N7 has literally replaced my laptops and computers entirely for all but the most heavy-duty (PC-only) work. I rarely ever boot up any of my computers now. I can do almost everything from my N7.

My N7 has also almost completely replaced my iPhone. I use Google Voice to route calls to my N7 which has effectively become my smartphone of choice! :D

I only have to use the iPhone when I absolutely can't get WiFi or run out really quickly to the corner store late at night and want a phone on me in case of emergency. Otherwise the N7 is always with me and the first device I reach for, even for phone calls! :D

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

blitzen89

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
My N7 definitely has decrease my SGSII usage but as mentioned before, there are definitely still alot of places only a smartphone would work...
I wouldn't take my N7 on a dinner date (granted i wouldn't stay on my phone much on a date either if I wanna get anywhere :D)

mazzmoney95

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
I use my Evo a lot less. I use my Nexus for all my games (Dead trigger mostly) and music sometimes (I can listen to music on my Nexus for Days and still have battery left over, especially when I'm not on WiFi). I also use my Nexus to read books and stuff. I'm sure I'll be doing a lot of tethering once I get LTE on my Evo, so it'll be even more useful (although it wont last as long).

NickFromHouston

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
My work provided me with an Atrix 2 which, to be honest, I didn't use more than as a e-mail reader (for work e-mails only) and mp3 player for infrequent usage, until I bought my N7 a month ago. Now I've loaded it up a bit like I've done with the tablet, but realistically, I can only get the details I need out of the videos and books on my tablet, as well as reading personal e-mails, Facebook - although I have some slides/presentations that I can view on both devices just fine. That said, for non-work-related stuff, I use the N7 the vast majority of the time, and for the bare minimum of work-related things I use the A2, and it's pretty much 50/50 for music.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze