Should I return my Nexus 7? (Sleep of Death)

mikeyonline

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Is your device rooted and/or unlocked?

Both, Happened right of the box within the first few days of using it. I thought maybe rooting it or unlocking it would fix the issue. Actually got worse. But I have yet to see it happen on my replacement one

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Update 3: So far so good. Booted up fine this morning. The program i uninstalled was Lookout antivirus and it has booted up fine twice in a row after being off for 8+ hours each time. If you don't have this app, try uninstalling any app that starts up on boot. Something must be going wrong either while starting up or shutting down, i figure. Hope this helps someone out.

Edit: spoke (wrote?) too soon. Had to hard boot after leaving my device off for 2 hours. I had a different antivirus installed because i thought Lookout was the problem. I've just deleted it and powered down - just gonna wait for a bit and see if it boots.

Last edited:

nikrepka

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
I had a similar issue with my Nexus 7. Would only boot normally if I turned it off with the charger in. (Also, it would only show the charging icon while powered off if I plugged in the charger before turning it off.) Otherwise, I had to boot by holding the power button for 20-30 seconds. I saw this post and removed AVG Antivirus to see if it helped, but it didn't. (I didn't wait 8 hours like you did though...) I contacted Asus and they suggested I do a factory reset, so I did, and so far so good! Haven't tried reinstalling AVG, but I may just to see if that was the issue. Don't really like having to factory reset all the time though. Have you found anything out since you removed the most recent antivirus program?

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I had a similar issue with my Nexus 7. Would only boot normally if I turned it off with the charger in. (Also, it would only show the charging icon while powered off if I plugged in the charger before turning it off.) Otherwise, I had to boot by holding the power button for 20-30 seconds. I saw this post and removed AVG Antivirus to see if it helped, but it didn't. (I didn't wait 8 hours like you did though...) I contacted Asus and they suggested I do a factory reset, so I did, and so far so good! Haven't tried reinstalling AVG, but I may just to see if that was the issue. Don't really like having to factory reset all the time though. Have you found anything out since you removed the most recent antivirus program?

I still get the sod but less often. Removing the anti virus programs seemed to help but i started getting sod again soon after. Im just learning to live with it.

@rootbrain: i suppose its just to preserve the life of the battery (not how much is left, but rather the actual life of the battery itself)

TRileyC

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
I have had success this way: Hold the power button down for less than one second, release it, and push it again. Nexus 7 comes out of sleep every time for me.

marty331

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Update 3: So far so good. Booted up fine this morning. The program i uninstalled was Lookout antivirus and it has booted up fine twice in a row after being off for 8+ hours each time. If you don't have this app, try uninstalling any app that starts up on boot. Something must be going wrong either while starting up or shutting down, i figure. Hope this helps someone out.

Edit: spoke (wrote?) too soon. Had to hard boot after leaving my device off for 2 hours. I had a different antivirus installed because i thought Lookout was the problem. I've just deleted it and powered down - just gonna wait for a bit and see if it boots.

Why are you running an antivirus app? Get rid of all of them and do not install pirated apps and you will not have any issues.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12