Should I return my Nexus 7? (Sleep of Death)

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Hello,

I've had my N7 for about a week now and I've been experiencing the "sleep of death," where I have to hold the power button down for 20 seconds to boot. This only happens if I leave it off for a few hours or overnight. I'm running the stock 4.1.1 firmware and my device is unlocked and rooted. Yesterday, I deleted a couple of apps that I suspected to be the cause of the problem and it booted up fine this morning. But it wouldn't boot up when I came home at the end of today. Should I just return it? Or is this issue fixable?

Thanks,

K.

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
So should I back up with Titanium backup first then transfer the save to my computer? If so, then do I back up apps/system data or just apps? I have some game saves that I want to keep.

mikeyonline

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
My first Nexus 7 had the SOD issue. Only way to turn it back on was to do a hard reset on it. Called up and got a new replacement one. Haven't had the issue with the new one.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I dont understand people switching off their tablet at night.

tablet are meant to be always ON.

And I don't understand why you care that they turn them off. what's the big deal. I turn mine off at night. It only takes about 30 to 34 seconds to reboot

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

shaw2360

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
Hi people. Just got my N7 ten days ago and now it's acting up. I have to hold down the power button for 10-13seconds until I see the Google and then Nexus logo (booting up). Now, is that the same thing, and should I return the tablet? I also get screen flicker, as though the screen is about to adjust its light or something. Something seriously wrong here or I am just a worried beginner? Thanks.

anon(924308)

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Hi people. Just got my N7 ten days ago and now it's acting up. I have to hold down the power button for 10-13seconds until I see the Google and then Nexus logo (booting up). Now, is that the same thing, and should I return the tablet? I also get screen flicker, as though the screen is about to adjust its light or something. Something seriously wrong here or I am just a worried beginner? Thanks.

Totally normal to wait ~10 seconds for it to turn on, if not in sleep mode. If asleep, it should wake back up instantaneously. Screen flicker is a common issue resulting from using 'auto-adjust' on the brightness. I also get it when I'm using my external USB keyboard--but it's not a big deal so I don't really notice.

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Update: I factory reset my device and then restored (apps only) and it didn't help - I still had to hold the power button for 20 seconds to boot after it being off for 5 hours. I just returned my N7 and got a new one. This one has a "newer" serial number and it came with 4.1.1, so hopefully everything ends up okay. I will update tomorrow morning after I turn it off tonight.

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I unlocked and rooted my new device last night and it booted up fine this morning. Hopefully it stays this way. If anyone is experiencing this issue, I would recommend getting replacement if possible. Reflashing the stock image might have helped, but in my case it was just easier to get an exchange.

severinj

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Mine just started doing this today and I think it's pretty inconvenient. Took about 25 seconds of holding the power button just to turn it on. Waiting for the Walmart product care website to come back online to try to file for a replacement =/

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Update 2: seems to be a software issue. Just had to hold the power button for 20 seconds to boot. Im thinking it has something to do with being rooted and/or unlocked.

KitN

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
I've had two N7's & never experienced this "SOD" you speak of. :eek:

(And I hope I never will.)

Honestly, I'd send it back and seriously look into the programs you install on you device. This isn't normal or acceptable.

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I've had two N7's & never experienced this "SOD" you speak of. :eek:

(And I hope I never will.)

Honestly, I'd send it back and seriously look into the programs you install on you device. This isn't normal or acceptable.

I uninstalled an antivirus program that i had and my nexus booted up normally after being off for about 8 hours. We'll see what happens in the morning. If it doesn't work out feel free to send me one of yours :)