Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!

View Poll Results: Is your N7 rooted?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

19 43.18%
  • No

25 56.82%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Did you root your N7? Why or why not?

I want to download some fonts for apps like the UCCW (custom clock widget)--but the only way I can manage system files is to root it, right? It's reaally no biggie if I can't, but I want to know why you chose to root or not. I mean, I can understand rooting iOS, but Android is already pretty customizable.

My N7's been pretty buggy (reset didn't do anything, but I 'restored' it today and it's fine so far) and I don't want to risk invalidating my warranty in case I run into future problems. If you do a complete system reset/restore from a rooted device, will it still be rooted? Is it possible to "brick" something if you barely use the rooted options? I'm afraid I run a higher risk of "bricking" since my device has a history of system issues. Anyway, any feedback (advantages/disadvantages) would be great .
    Retired Moderator

ROM
    What do you think?

Default Re: Did you root your N7? Why or why not?

Quote Originally Posted by jrwatson View Post
    I want to download some fonts for apps like the UCCW (custom clock widget)--but the only way I can manage system files is to root it, right? It's reaally no biggie if I can't, but I want to know your opinion on why you did or did not root your device. I mean, I can understand rooting iOS, but Android is already pretty customizable.

My N7's been pretty buggy (reset didn't do anything, but I 'restored' it today and it's fine so far) and I don't want to risk invalidating my warranty in case I run into future problems. If you do a complete system reset/restore from a rooted device, will it still be rooted? Is it possible to "brick" something if you barely use the rooted options? If If my device has a history of system issues, I'm afraid it'll have a higher chance of bricking. Anyway, any feedback would be great .
    Yes. Rooting/roming is one of my favorite hobbies .

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

nope haven't won one!

I don't usually root my Nexii, preferring the 'pure Google' thing. However, I just don't like 'phablet' all that much. I want my N7 to have the Honeycomb-ish tablet interface instead.

Rooting allowed me to modify my screen density from the default 213 ppi to 160 ppi. At that screen density, Jellybean pops into tablet UI.

Note to Android development - the choice between 'phablet' and 'tablet' UI really needs to be an option in Settings.

Nope, stock, no need to root.

There are many reasons to root but being able to use titanium backup to perform solid backups/restores as well as migrate apps/settings between devices is reason enough for me.

No, there's no need to for me.
    I'm used to iOS devices, so there was always a need to jailbreak.
    This is my first android device and it was already so customizable out of the box I don't feel a need to change anything.
    All I did is buy Ultimate Rotation Control and I was good to go.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by:
    jmaudi0 likes this.

Yes, I rooted and romed ....... to paraphrase Sir Edmond Hillary...."Because I can"!!!!:-) :-) :-)
    NookColor running CM10.1
    Galaxy Note running RootBox
    Nexus 7 Running JellyBam v7

Yes, rooted my Nexus 7 for the following reasons (in no particular order):

- Install the AOSP browser - supports Flash (need to side load it) and IMO runs circles around Chrome (which is now disabled)
    - Use AdAway with the MVPS blocking hosts file (blocks known malicious web sites as well as ads which I've used for years on my home PC's), speeds web browsing and provides a little peace of mind that dark areas of the Internet are blocked (you can proactively add your own things to block if you wish)
    - Use full features of backup apps (ex. MyBackup Pro or Titanium Pro)
    - Make nandroid backups via custom recovery
    - Have full control over the device and its file system
    - If/when the time comes have the option to flash custom ROMs

I rooted because I wanted to use Titanium Backup to sync backups to my Box.net account. No other real reason other than to see how it worked.

I root so I can use AdAway and Titanium Backup Pro.

I got my Nexus 7 as a developer device. I want to be able to develop to the experience that potential users would have so I run vanilla Android. I rooted my first Android device (MyTouch 3G) which was cool but I'm satisfied with JellyBean as-is.

Global Posts
    834 Global Posts
    ROM
    Cm 10/Franco

I am leaving my rooting to my phone. Just enjoying the 7 the way Google intended

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    BB World Edition->Moto Droid->BB Tour->Moto RAZR->Samsung Galaxy Nexus->Google Nexus 7->iPhone 5
    Always remember to wipe your Davlik!!!

I have made the decision to leave my N7 and GNexus stock Jelly Bean for now until I find a reason I need root. I like stock JB as Google has given us so far and have no desire yet to root the phone just to root it.

Default Did you root your N7? Why or why not?

I rooted so that I can run apps that remove ads, change the screen resolution so that the interface is "tablet mode", run apps that let me easily boot into different modes and quickly run updates and whatnot. I installed a package a couple of days ago that updated a number of the hardware drivers. Having a rooted system and tools meant for use on a rooted tablet made that update trivial. At this point I have no plans on running different ROMs as the stock one suits my needs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Global Posts
    59 Global Posts

Rooted for the sole purpose of using Stickmount. If Google decides to enable mounting storage devices, then Rooting won't be needed for me anymore.

ROM
    Stock, Paranoid, CM10

Yes. The first thing I do with any Nexus is wipe the device and flash a new rom. Root is worth it for Titanium Backup if nothing else. The benefits of roms vary, and are too numerous to list.

I don't root my devices cause I am satisfied with what they can do stock and because I would probably wind up with bricked devices lol... Tried to run CM7 off an SD card once on my nook color and it did not work...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

I only bought the thing because its a Nexus and I'm a crackflasher

It was unlocked and had CM10 running on it 5 minutes after being taken out of the box, lol.
    dmmarck likes this.

I always root all my Android devices. It's my device and I control what it does and what it can do. I even control what, when and if my devices get upgrades. And removing all the crapps the carriers and manufacturers insist on loading is a must.

Rootbrain
    Maxwell was the 1st "Smart" phone user......

Global Posts
    124 Global Posts

I rooted my Nook Color because it was foolproof, and you could return easily to stock. When CM7 stopped working, the Nook wouldn't let me restore it, or return it to stock, and all the hacker types have moved on to newer toys so there are spiderwebs in the forums. Since it's now a $250 paperweight,* I've realized rooting and romming is not for me. If a device doesn't do most of what I need out of the box, then it isn't the right device for me.

*But it's a lovely paperweight! :o

I just found one of the best reasons to root: the 'Beats' audio drivers. What a difference in audio quality! I would consider this a *major* upgrade if headphone audio or if plugging your tablet into your home entertainment system is important to you.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by AstronomerXI; 10-06-2012 at 09:06 PM.
    Thanked by:

Haven't rooted but it's definitely on the table to do so in the future. Just seeing what I can accomplish without doing so for now while making sure my Nexus 7 doesn't develop problems like so many others have experienced. I've had it a month now and so far so good.

Yeah. With root you can use tools like Titanium Backup to backup your device, Recovery, etc.
    Last edited by Tainayersiel; 10-26-2012 at 02:10 PM.

Global Posts
    454 Global Posts

No rooting here. Loving the pure Google experience and feel no need to mess with it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast