Don't buy cellphones or tablets if...

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
You expect to never need to do a reset. IOW don't act as if its something only needed on your device and therefore you must be unlucky and/or dumb to have bought a [insert device name here]. If needed, do the reset and move on with life. (This has been a PSA)
Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

retsaw

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
Are you saying that it is acceptable that you should have to reset your device over the course of its lifetime? I certainly don't think it should be.

anon(924308)

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I never expected everything in the system to crash, after only having owned it a month. so I really didn't expect it to require a complete reset/restore sos oon..? pretty much the minute I bought it, random system things were messing up. so you're saying I shouldn't have bought it to begin with?

JustinMueller8810

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
I think it's reasonable to expect to ATLEAST have a BACKUP app (that DOESNT require rooting the device) that syncs to the cloud.

Ravynmagi

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Only time I need to do a factory reset is within the first day or two of using a device. Usually any weirdness becomes evident by then, and afterwards I'm usually fine. Don't think I've ever had a situation where I had to do a factory reset after using a device for a while.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
All I'm saying is its a fact of this technology. Whining about it doesn't accomplish anything. If needed, man up and just do it

anon(924308)

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
All I'm saying is its a fact of this technology. Whining about it doesn't accomplish anything. If needed, man up and just do it

I mean if one is needed, one will happen and that's that--it's a bit of a jump to conclude that people who can't predict needing a reset shouldn't buy the device to begin with lol.

//Since we're on the topic.. Anyone know how a hard reset differs from just powering it off? Factory reset did nothing for me, but the hard reset worked at least temporarily--which is strange bc it didn't even wipe the data. Is a hard reset a firmware update or something?

Last edited:

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
My point is some people act as if a reset indicates a deficiency in their product that causes a lot of hand wringing. Cell phones and tablets are the products for which resets are not uncommon. Its like owning a pool and being shocked that it needs regular, expensive maintenance. It comes with the territory. I've had to reset apple products too...

dmcincubus

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
Ravy, off topic, don't care, love your avatar. thumbs up to you good sir.

Back on topic, I always do a factory reset after about a full day of use of a new device. Whether it helps or not, I have no clue. But I know I don't have serious issues afterwards.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
My n7 had a persistent and unusual issue with the calendar right out of the gate. A reset fixed it permanently. Then I had the famous lag and a reset has fixed that. Since the reset for lagging, my n7 has been flawless

retsaw

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
If you haven't rooted your device and you need to reset it, then that is a deficiency at least in the OS the device runs, and I wouldn't blame anyone for wanting to complain about it. Of course if you have root then the OS can't be expected to protect you from f-ing up your device. Just because it is not uncommon for smartphones/tablets to require a reset, doesn't mean that it should be acceptable.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
If you haven't rooted your device and you need to reset it, then that is a deficiency at least in the OS the device runs, and I wouldn't blame anyone for wanting to complain about it. Of course if you have root then the OS can't be expected to protect you from f-ing up your device. Just because it is not uncommon for smartphones/tablets to require a reset, doesn't mean that it should be acceptable.

I didn't say "acceptable" did I? I said it comes with the territory

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
You expect to never need to do a reset. IOW don't act as if its something only needed on your device and therefore you must be unlucky and/or dumb to have bought a [insert device name here]. If needed, do the reset and move on with life. (This has been a PSA)

I didn't say "acceptable" did I? I said it comes with the territory

Wow. Who peed in your corn flakes....

NickFromHouston

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
I agree with the OP. Who buys a PC and expects it to last forever without a reload or some serious work down the road? Nothing is perfect, and technology (hardware or software) is as susceptible as anything else for failure.

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm at the other extreme. I've done a master reset on my stock HTC Amaze several times in the last 10 months, all due to troubleshooting with T-Mobile and HTC ... with no resolution. :mad: All the problems are with their (HTC's) drivers, T-Mobile software config, or the hardware. Just yesterday a rep blamed Google ("third party app developer") and HTC for something that is clearly imposed by the T-Mobile firmware. ... The reset's not hard, neither the restoration of Google account data syncing back down, but the reprovisioning of RSA SecurID and reconfiguring Touchdown for work ... these are a PITA, and a burden on my company's support people. In all, I've got the restoration process down to a few hours out of my life that I'd rather spend having fun or doing work.

I don't denigrate anyone who is troubled by having to reset their device. Games and programs that don't backup the data and settings are probably the worst part.

And that's MY point. Yeah, you have to reset these things from time to time, they're devices that run 24/7 for months at a time, and with their use and software environment, it's likely that something will get buggered. BUT ... there's no reason to be Mean Mr. Mustard to those who talk about it. "Man up ... whining about it ... just get on with life" is unnecessarily harsh. I'm thinking OP needs a hug. Any volunteers?

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I'm at the other extreme. I've done a master reset on my stock HTC Amaze several times in the last 10 months, all due to troubleshooting with T-Mobile and HTC ... with no resolution. :mad: All the problems are with their (HTC's) drivers, T-Mobile software config, or the hardware. Just yesterday a rep blamed Google ("third party app developer") and HTC for something that is clearly imposed by the T-Mobile firmware. ... The reset's not hard, neither the restoration of Google account data syncing back down, but the reprovisioning of RSA SecurID and reconfiguring Touchdown for work ... these are a PITA, and a burden on my company's support people. In all, I've got the restoration process down to a few hours out of my life that I'd rather spend having fun or doing work.

I don't denigrate anyone who is troubled by having to reset their device. Games and programs that don't backup the data and settings are probably the worst part.

And that's MY point. Yeah, you have to reset these things from time to time, they're devices that run 24/7 for months at a time, and with their use and software environment, it's likely that something will get buggered. BUT ... there's no reason to be Mean Mr. Mustard to those who talk about it. "Man up ... whining about it ... just get on with life" is unnecessarily harsh. I'm thinking OP needs a hug. Any volunteers?

For everyone here: I am not implying that resets are fun or shouldn't be looked upon with aggravation. What I have been trying to get across is that as distasteful as a reset can be, it is a fact of life, at this point in history, with regards to ownership of cell phones and tablets. Some people act as if they must have simply managed to buy THE ONE "defective" device and then they carry on and on about that, the mfgr, the OS, etc. At this point, this technology is not flawless. I wish it were--but even my Keurig coffemaker needs to be rebooted once in a while (a couple times a year, so far). oh, and one of my TV's--a Vizio--has needed more than a couple of reboots.

anon(924308)

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Some people act as if they must have simply managed to buy THE ONE "defective" device and then they carry on and on about that, the mfgr, the OS, etc.

A factory reset isn't a solve-it-all salve to every issue. I mean I'm glad it fixed your lag issue and whatnot, but I did a factory reset and a hard reset, and I'm still getting problems with stuff like 'system ui' freezing sporadically.

I mean, people post on forums to see if anyone is experiencing a similar issue, if there are resolutions, etc. I'm sure I come off as ranty, but it's just frustrating when none of the CS reps knows what's going on, and my only option is to send it away for a month--which I'm reluctant to do since it works fine 85% of the time

rootbrain

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
I've been in IT for 30 years, working on just about every OS and platforms from mainframes to minis to desktops to mobile.

My mantra has always been "reboot and reboot often". Its never let me down.

Rootbrain