Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jrwatson
  • 1 Post By mr_nobody
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default How to upload travel photos to a blog using my Nexus 7

I bought a Nexus 7 (16G and Jellybean) for our UK vacation to help us coordinate reservations via email and to take advantage of the GPS and maps (and I am really interested to see what Google Now throws our way). I believe for our original travel purposes, the Nexus 7 is perfect. Now I think I am wanting to push the limits. We want to now keep some sort of blog so that we can upload photos and talk about each day for the family and friends back home. From what I have gathered, I think I am going to have to root the device in order to gain access to the file system in order to move the photos from the camera to the Nexus 7. But once I get the photos on the Nexus, will they be accessible via Chrome to upload to a blog site? We are thinking of using Blogger, so I searched and see that there is an app, but will I be able to access and upload pictures that I have transferred to the Nexus 7 with the Blogger app?

Default Re: How to upload travel photos to a blog using my Nexus 7

I don't know squat about rooting, but I'm pretty sure you don't need to root since all pictures go to the 'external storage' and not the system. Seems you have 2 simple options:

1. DL a file managing app like File Manager HD to view/manage files, and Nexus Media Importer to access USB OTG (you'd need a female USB to male micro USB cale, AND an SD to USB cable)

2. Better yet, try Eye-fi (app here in the Play store). It's a wifi-enabled SD card, which allows you to, supposedly, wirelessly hook up your camera's pictures to any compatible device. I reaally don't know much about it, you'll have to do further research--but I hear a lot of great things. They have different types of cards, the most $$$ one allows geotagging so that might be fun to know specifically where each photo was taken.

If I were you: use a photo-sharing site like Picasa or Flickr to upload photos. Picasa integrates beautifully with the Nexus and Blogspot since they're all Google products, so that would be the simplest option; just allow public viewing of the albums (you could make one for each day) from your trip. When you write in your blog, add your favorite photos from Picasa and provide a link to the rest of the album--that way you don't have to add a hundred photos to Blogspot, which can be tedious (I know, I have a blog). Hope that helps!

If you don't mind spending the money on an N7 and an Eyefi card, I'd just go ahead and buy a keyboard case (granted your hands are not large) OR a bluetooth keyboard, to use in your hotel to write emails and such--I mean if you're going to use it like a laptop, you might as well have typing efficiency.

Keep in mind, you need to dl an offline map cache of the area you're interested in visiting. And even then, you can't do much without wifi.
    jeff2012 likes this.

If your camera supports mtp you don't need to root nor do you need nexus media importer, you just need an otg cable.
    jeff2012 likes this.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

My camera is a bit older (Nikon Coolpix 5600, circa 2005). I looked in the manual and online, and unfortunately I don't see that it supports MTP. (I know, I am a bit behind the times )
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Hi jrwatson,

Thanks for all the pointers. I just need to get set on the right track since all of this stuff is new to me....I don't mind doing the research, I just need a good starting point. I am so new to this, I didn't know that the file manager is supposed to be a separate app. I had just figured that if I need access to files, I must need to get at the OS. Also thanks for the map caching tip, I will definitely search that down as well.

Jeff