Nexus 7 waste of time if you own S3?

Jon12345

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
I am currently using my trusty iPhone 3GS, but have decided to make the switch to Android. Didn't realise how customisable it all was.

So, if I get a Samsung Galaxy S3, is the Nexus a bit of a waste of time? I mean the screen size of the S3 is quite nice, so wondered if the Nexus 7 size is too close and its best to go for a 10" tablet.

Your thoughts? Anyone got both? Do you have an iPad too and do you use that more than the Nexus 7 if you have an S3?

Thanks,

Jon

ansextra

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I have both and I'm glad I do. You would think that the 7" Nexus would not be that much bigger than the 4.8" Samsung but for some reason the difference feels much greater when you use them one right after the other. I don't have an iPad nor do I plan on purchasing any Apple products so can't help you with that. Once my Nano dies I'm done with Apple.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Nexus 7 is not a replacement for your phone but a replacement for your PC.

PC use had gone down for me after i got the tablet and dont have to wait for boot up the PC anymore.

listen to music/ casual browsing / watch movies etc. One thing i prefer a tablet is because using a phone extensive would drain battery for music and video.

Nexus 7 would avoid that issue.

Ravynmagi

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
4.8 to 7 inches sounds small. But when I compare my Galaxy Nexus (4.65 inch) to my Nexus 7, the physical difference in screen area size is almost 3 times larger. You can get by with the S3 I'm sure, but having a larger screen is kinda nice, so you don't have to hold it as closely to your face and it's still comfortable enough to hold one handed.

sparksd

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
I have an S3, Nexus 7, and 10" Infinity Prime - each fits a different niche. S3 is good for use as phone (obvious), quick email, handy maps, gaames, etc. Nexus is better for email, games, convenient for Kindle book reading - a very nicely-sized, highly-responsive unit. The Prime with a dock effectively replaces my laptop and is much better for web browsing. document manipulation, etc. Only thing really missing is WiFi tethering with the S3 (doesn't work with Sprint, though slower Bluetooth tethering does).

Dave

MangoPowah

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
I have a One X and a Nexus 7, and I don't see it as a waste of time. I got it to replace my iPod touch 4G. It's quite a difference when I go from this to my 4.7" HOX, and even more so when I go from this to my 4G.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

NotJustAPhone

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
No, in my opinion. I don't carry my Nexus 7 all the time as I do with my phone. I also read a lot of ebooks and the difference in screen size for reading is apparent. Plus, certain games are so much more enjoyable on my Nexus 7.

Sent from my SGSIII

lostmarine

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
Have a galaxy nexus and nexus 7 and my galaxy nexus has become a wifi hotspot. Wish my 7 had LTE then wouldn't need my Gnex.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

smithe68

Oct 2, 2010
Visit site
I have them both, and don't find the Nexus 7 to be a waste. Maybe if you were talkjng a Note 2 it might be. Reading, web surfing and games are all much better on the larger screen and I even find the 7" screen to be large enough that I don't pick up my Acer 10" tablet at all. At home the only time I use a computer is to sync my GPS watch and do taxes.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I am currently using my trusty iPhone 3GS, but have decided to make the switch to Android. Didn't realise how customisable it all was.

So, if I get a Samsung Galaxy S3, is the Nexus a bit of a waste of time? I mean the screen size of the S3 is quite nice, so wondered if the Nexus 7 size is too close and its best to go for a 10" tablet.

Your thoughts? Anyone got both? Do you have an iPad too and do you use that more than the Nexus 7 if you have an S3?

Thanks,

Jon

No. The Nexus 7 is an Android device. The GS3 is an Android-based device. Two different pieces of hardware with two different implementations of software. Try both :).

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
the Nexus 7 is a redundant waste for me at this point in time. i'd rather buy and use a Windows 10" Netbook with full Windows and full Office (real Excel and Word) capability in addition to a full keyboard etc. for my portable computing. you can pick up the Netbook for the same price as the Nexus 7 at Best Buy -

Asus - Eee PC 10" Netbook - 1GB Memory - 320GB Hard Drive - Matte Black
Model: 1025C-BBK301 SKU: 5616819
Free Shipping
Our Price: $199.99

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
the Nexus 7 is a redundant waste for me at this point in time. i'd rather buy and use a Windows 10" Netbook with full Windows and full Office (real Excel and Word) capability in addition to a full keyboard etc. for my portable computing. you can pick up the Netbook for the same price as the Nexus 7 at Best Buy -

Asus - Eee PC 10" Netbook - 1GB Memory - 320GB Hard Drive - Matte Black
Model: 1025C-BBK301 SKU: 5616819
Free Shipping
Our Price: $199.99

Two different things for two different uses.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

sparksd

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
For travel, I pretty much replaced my Samsung NF310 netbook with an Infinity Prime (10") with keyboard dock. My Nexus 7 complements it, doesn't replace it.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
Really? You produce documents on tablets? Tablets = media, computers = work. At least the smaller ones.

no. my point is that a Netbook can do everything a Tablet can. but a Tablet can't do everything a Netbook can.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
no. my point is that a Netbook can do everything a Tablet can. but a Tablet can't do everything a Netbook can.

Except act as a touch screen tablet? :p

I had a Netbook but it was way to small for me. Great for here and there, but nothing serious.