Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Nexus 7 waste of time if you own S3?

I am currently using my trusty iPhone 3GS, but have decided to make the switch to Android. Didn't realise how customisable it all was.

So, if I get a Samsung Galaxy S3, is the Nexus a bit of a waste of time? I mean the screen size of the S3 is quite nice, so wondered if the Nexus 7 size is too close and its best to go for a 10" tablet.

Your thoughts? Anyone got both? Do you have an iPad too and do you use that more than the Nexus 7 if you have an S3?

Thanks,

Jon

Default Re: Nexus 7 waste of time if you own S3?

I have both and I'm glad I do. You would think that the 7" Nexus would not be that much bigger than the 4.8" Samsung but for some reason the difference feels much greater when you use them one right after the other. I don't have an iPad nor do I plan on purchasing any Apple products so can't help you with that. Once my Nano dies I'm done with Apple.
    Eduardo06sp likes this.

Nexus 7 is not a replacement for your phone but a replacement for your PC.

PC use had gone down for me after i got the tablet and dont have to wait for boot up the PC anymore.

listen to music/ casual browsing / watch movies etc. One thing i prefer a tablet is because using a phone extensive would drain battery for music and video.

Nexus 7 would avoid that issue.

4.8 to 7 inches sounds small. But when I compare my Galaxy Nexus (4.65 inch) to my Nexus 7, the physical difference in screen area size is almost 3 times larger. You can get by with the S3 I'm sure, but having a larger screen is kinda nice, so you don't have to hold it as closely to your face and it's still comfortable enough to hold one handed.

Global Posts
    386 Global Posts

I have an S3, Nexus 7, and 10" Infinity Prime - each fits a different niche. S3 is good for use as phone (obvious), quick email, handy maps, gaames, etc. Nexus is better for email, games, convenient for Kindle book reading - a very nicely-sized, highly-responsive unit. The Prime with a dock effectively replaces my laptop and is much better for web browsing. document manipulation, etc. Only thing really missing is WiFi tethering with the S3 (doesn't work with Sprint, though slower Bluetooth tethering does).

Dave

I have a One X and a Nexus 7, and I don't see it as a waste of time. I got it to replace my iPod touch 4G. It's quite a difference when I go from this to my 4.7" HOX, and even more so when I go from this to my 4G.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    11,780 Global Posts
    ROM
    GS3: CleanROM / N4: AOKP

No, in my opinion. I don't carry my Nexus 7 all the time as I do with my phone. I also read a lot of ebooks and the difference in screen size for reading is apparent. Plus, certain games are so much more enjoyable on my Nexus 7.

Sent from my SGSIII

Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    ROM
    unlocked/rooted/stock rom

Have a galaxy nexus and nexus 7 and my galaxy nexus has become a wifi hotspot. Wish my 7 had LTE then wouldn't need my Gnex.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    Nexus Prime was a better name!

I have a Nexus 7 and a Galaxy Note. Both are awesome and used daily.
    Palm IIIxe, Handspring Prism, Sony CLie, Tapwave Zodiac, Centro(AT&T), Palm Pre Plus(AT&T), Nook Color, HP Touchpad-32, HP Veer, Samsung Galaxy Note(AT&T), Nexus 7 (32), Nexus 4 (16), Nexus 7 2013 LTE, Nexus 5 32

I have them both, and don't find the Nexus 7 to be a waste. Maybe if you were talkjng a Note 2 it might be. Reading, web surfing and games are all much better on the larger screen and I even find the 7" screen to be large enough that I don't pick up my Acer 10" tablet at all. At home the only time I use a computer is to sync my GPS watch and do taxes.
    Retired Moderator

ROM
    What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Jon12345 View Post
    I am currently using my trusty iPhone 3GS, but have decided to make the switch to Android. Didn't realise how customisable it all was.

So, if I get a Samsung Galaxy S3, is the Nexus a bit of a waste of time? I mean the screen size of the S3 is quite nice, so wondered if the Nexus 7 size is too close and its best to go for a 10" tablet.

Your thoughts? Anyone got both? Do you have an iPad too and do you use that more than the Nexus 7 if you have an S3?

Thanks,

Jon
    No. The Nexus 7 is an Android device. The GS3 is an Android-based device. Two different pieces of hardware with two different implementations of software. Try both .
    Banned

i prefer to use S3

the Nexus 7 is a redundant waste for me at this point in time. i'd rather buy and use a Windows 10" Netbook with full Windows and full Office (real Excel and Word) capability in addition to a full keyboard etc. for my portable computing. you can pick up the Netbook for the same price as the Nexus 7 at Best Buy -

Asus - Eee PC 10" Netbook - 1GB Memory - 320GB Hard Drive - Matte Black
    Model: 1025C-BBK301 SKU: 5616819
    Free Shipping
    Our Price: $199.99
    Retired Moderator

ROM
    What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    the Nexus 7 is a redundant waste for me at this point in time. i'd rather buy and use a Windows 10" Netbook with full Windows and full Office (real Excel and Word) capability in addition to a full keyboard etc. for my portable computing. you can pick up the Netbook for the same price as the Nexus 7 at Best Buy -

Asus - Eee PC 10" Netbook - 1GB Memory - 320GB Hard Drive - Matte Black
    Model: 1025C-BBK301 SKU: 5616819
    Free Shipping
    Our Price: $199.99
    Two different things for two different uses.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by dmmarck View Post
    Two different things for two different uses.

not for me, homie.
    Retired Moderator

ROM
    What do you think?

not for me, homie.
    Really? You produce documents on tablets? Tablets = media, computers = work. At least the smaller ones.

Global Posts
    386 Global Posts

For travel, I pretty much replaced my Samsung NF310 netbook with an Infinity Prime (10") with keyboard dock. My Nexus 7 complements it, doesn't replace it.

Quote Originally Posted by dmmarck View Post
    Really? You produce documents on tablets? Tablets = media, computers = work. At least the smaller ones.

no. my point is that a Netbook can do everything a Tablet can. but a Tablet can't do everything a Netbook can.

Yes. I can create documents and print them.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Nexus 7 waste of time if you own S3?-screenshot_2012-10-08-11-05-38.png  
    NookColor running CM10.1
    Galaxy Note running RootBox
    Nexus 7 Running JellyBam v7
    Retired Moderator

ROM
    What do you think?

no. my point is that a Netbook can do everything a Tablet can. but a Tablet can't do everything a Netbook can.
    Except act as a touch screen tablet?

I had a Netbook but it was way to small for me. Great for here and there, but nothing serious.

I have a Gnex, Nexus 7 and LTE Xoom. Since I got my Nexus 7 my Xoom hardly gets touched and my gnex gets maybe half as much use. My Nexus 7 is pocketable so I take it most places with me and I use my Gnex as a hotspot.

One of the benefits of having a GS3 and a Nexus 7 is you will still have one device that will get timely updates. Your Nexus 7 will get the next version of Android way before you GS3 will.

Quote Originally Posted by tjlandberg View Post
    I have a Gnex, Nexus 7 and LTE Xoom. Since I got my Nexus 7 my Xoom hardly gets touched and my gnex gets maybe half as much use. My Nexus 7 is pocketable so I take it most places with me and I use my Gnex as a hotspot.

One of the benefits of having a GS3 and a Nexus 7 is you will still have one device that will get timely updates. Your Nexus 7 will get the next version of Android way before you GS3 will.
    or just buy a Nexus phone.

It completely depends on your use. For some people, one Android device is all they need, and they don't get enough use out of a 2nd one, even with the larger screen, to justify it. As mentioned earlier in this thread, some people find they hardly use their PC at all once they have a tablet, as it's large enough to really enjoy a lot of internet browsing, etc, much moreso than a phone. For me, I find myself using my phone as a phone more & more, and less for all the other things Android can do, because I do those things on my N7. It has not at all replaced my PCs, because I do real work on my desktop, and both work & serious gaming on my laptop. I find myself thinking it might work well for me to have a plain ol' phone and a data connected N7, but I probably still get too much use out of the android-ness of my phone to think about making that switch.

The difficult question is how would YOU use it, and thus would it be worth it. And that's a hard question to answer without spending a week or two with one.

Global Posts
    54 Global Posts

I use my S3 as my primary for email and when I am away from home, but I use my Ipad for most things at home. The laptops don't see much use. I would use my Nexus 7 if I could only get it back from my kids. The Nexus 7 seems like it can do most everything I need. Also have a netbook but that just collects dust since the Ipad came into play.

I love being able to push apps to my devices via Google Play. Just did it this morning for my son and had him save the book that was in my sent folder.

Global Posts
    349 Global Posts

Ditto, it's a complement. I have the S3 and N7. At home, the N7 gets more use...bigger screen = better for media consumption (web, games, reading). Phone is better for portability...I usually use Pulse to read news on the S3.

I wish Google would look into adding APIs for syncing data between devices from the same apps (like Amazon did w/ games on their app store so you can continue use on another device from where you last stopped on any device).
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast