Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26
Like Tree6Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Tasker

    Just spreading the love that is TASKER!

    With this app I've:
    I set various wallpapers for certain times of the day. I love having a wallpaper that matches the Mood of the current time (morning, Noon, evening, night)
    When I turn my tablet sideways it opens the camera app.
    And I have special profiles for work / home / sleep time that toggles certain power settings like wifi, brightness, sound, etc based on the time of day.

    I didn't see a topic on this app here yet so I thought I'd start one up.

    So what are some of YOUR Tasker profiles??

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Tasker

    I am Interested in knowing about what this app can do.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

    Default Re: Tasker

    Quote Originally Posted by still1 View Post
    I am Interested in knowing about what this app can do.
    In a nutshell:
    Program your phone to do almost ANYTHING.
    First you set a CONTEXT (IE time, day, gesture, app loading, etc).
    Then you set the task you want your phone to perform (turn on/of WiFi, turn up/down brightness, set the wallpaper to a certain pic, load an app, MANY MANY OTHERS).

    It's the most flexible app I've come across thus far and I'm loving every minute of it B-)

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
  4. #4  
    Dubbin1's Avatar

    Posts
    91 Posts
    Global Posts
    432 Global Posts

    Default Re: Tasker

    Its a great app but a royal pain to figure out how to use.
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Tasker

    If it's a royal pain as u say it to figure out how to use u should post instructions on how too use it for people. Just to make it easier for some people. It do u know of any directions out on the web?

    Sent from my LS670 using Android Central Forums
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Tasker

    I agree it's a great app but really frustrating to figure out how to use.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

    Default Re: Tasker

    Come on guys use your brains LOL
    Basic instruction:
    1) Add/name a profile
    2) set a context
    3) set a task
    4) sit back and enjoy the fruits of your labor

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Tasker

    Well yeah that's the basics
    How about more advanced stuff
    Even though that pretty much covers it lol

    Sent from my LS670 using Android Central Forums
  9. #9  
    Dubbin1's Avatar

    Posts
    91 Posts
    Global Posts
    432 Global Posts

    Default Re: Tasker

    This may help some
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

    Default Re: Tasker

    Quote Originally Posted by Dubbin1 View Post
    This may help some
    yes, you can simply download premade profiles on from this link here...but it's really worth learning it all on your own.
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Tasker

    Yeah I think it's worth learning how to do it on ur own
    But it is also nice to be able to download profiles and not having to hassle with creating the difficult ones

    Sent from my LS670 using Android Central Forums
  12. #12  
    bitseeker's Avatar

    Posts
    49 Posts
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts

    Default Re: Tasker

    I agree. Tasker is great, especially on phones where you can trigger location events via cell towers (uses less power than GPS). It's also helpful for turning things off to save power. After buying Tasker, I unloaded several apps and just made tasks for them instead.

    Some example uses:
    • Launch music app when headphones are plugged in
    • Launch messaging app when screen is unlocked and there's a new text message
    • Turn on WiFi or mobile data only when specific apps are in the foreground
    • Turn on WiFi only when near known access points (based on cell towers)
    • Turn off WiFi and mobile data after screen is turned off
    • Turn on tethering when specific apps are in the foreground
    • A widget button that displays all active Tasker profiles
    • A talking clock
    • Custom vibrate patterns for different notifications
    • Silent mode at night that only rings the phone for starred contacts
    • Switch to vibrate mode based on meeting times that appear in the calendar
    Thanked by:
    JustinMueller8810 likes this.
  13. #13  
    eking3030's Avatar

    Posts
    4 Posts
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts

    Default Re: Tasker

    bitseeker,
    Can you let me know how you got your starred contacts to ring in night silent mode. I downloaded the profile from tasker wiki. The sleepmode works great, but I can not get my starred contacts to ring. thanks
  14. #14  
    psycho_maniac's Avatar

    Posts
    249 Posts
    ROM
    CyanogenMod/Ziggy471

    Default Re: Tasker

    My tasks include:
    * Quiet hours
    * Send location to phone number with specific text
    * load the amazon app store once a day at 1pm
    * load best wishes app once a day at 7am
    * screen always on for maps, YouTube
    * display a list of apps when headphones plugged in
    * WiFi on in certain GPS coordinates
    * super long work profile pretty much shutting off everything and lowering CPU
    * set phone to vibrate when launching media apps.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    | Carrier: Vzw | Phone: Galaxy Nexus |
    | Rom: CM10.1 | Kernel: LeanKernel |
    | Social Networks: Twitter, Google+ |
  15. #15  

    Default Re: Tasker

    I dont personally use Tasker *yet*, but when I get some free time I'm probably going to buy it and go to town writing a bunch of scripts. At the moment I'm writing a widget that is personalized for how I want my Nexus 7 to operate when I'm in my car. I could probably do the same things with Tasker, but I'm having too much fun coding it manually instead.

    Tasker exemplifies why I love Android so much, it is so configurable and open, it allows for complete customization to meet every users demands.
    FApple
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

    Default Re: Tasker

    Quote Originally Posted by bas.androiddev View Post
    I dont personally use Tasker *yet*, but when I get some free time I'm probably going to buy it and go to town writing a bunch of scripts. At the moment I'm writing a widget that is personalized for how I want my Nexus 7 to operate when I'm in my car. I could probably do the same things with Tasker, but I'm having too much fun coding it manually instead.

    Tasker exemplifies why I love Android so much, it is so configurable and open, it allows for complete customization to meet every users demands.
    Keep me updated on any cool ideas you come up with. So far my favorite is being able to auto change my wallpaper to fit the Mood of the time of day (aka day beach pic for day, sunset for evening, dark background for night)

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
  17. #17  

    Default Re: Tasker

    Some of the things I'd like to automate when I get in my car:

    Evo:
    - turn on my FoxFi wifi hotspot

    N7:
    - N7 detects it is connected to an AC power source (and I'm in my car? havent figured this one out yet)
    - turn on wifi automatically
    - scan for the SSID wifi name that my Evo is broadcasting
    - connect to wifi hotspot
    - turn on bluetooth
    - connect to car stereo via BT
    - turn on GPS
    - etc

    I havent thought through all of the things that I want it to do, but I'm really interested in using my N7 as a mounted gadget in my car. I want to stream music via my N7 using Google Play Music, I love the carousel mode when you choose" "Recent" in Google Play Music while in landscape mode. I'm a huge user of both the Google Maps and Google Navigation apps, I've long since retired my Garmin.

    If I'm lazy, I'll end up going with a car mount like the , but if I really get into this I might explore replacing my factory car stereo and mounting my tablet in it's place.
    FApple
  18. #18  
    bitseeker's Avatar

    Posts
    49 Posts
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts

    Default Re: Tasker

    Quote Originally Posted by eking3030 View Post
    bitseeker,
    Can you let me know how you got your starred contacts to ring in night silent mode. I downloaded the profile from tasker wiki. The sleepmode works great, but I can not get my starred contacts to ring. thanks
    Here ya go, Eking.

    • Event = Call, Type = Incoming, Number = C:FAV
    • Enter Task (step 1) = Silent Mode, Mode = Off, If = %SilentNight Is Set
    • Exit Task (step 1) = Wait, MS = 0, Seconds = 0, Minutes = 1, Hours = 0, Days = 0
    • Exit Task (step 2) = Silent Mode, Mode = On, If = %SilentNight Is Set


    The phone number C:FAV matches all contacts that are marked as favorites (starred) in your address book.

    The wait time in exit task step 1 gives the phone time to ring as well as generate any notification sound if a voicemail or text message follows the call. You can increase it if you like (e.g., if your phone rings longer before going to voicemail).

    A separate event turns on/off silent mode based on a calendar item (e.g., from midnight to 6 am), sets %SilentNight to 1 during that time and clears it afterward. The %SilentNight variable is needed by the "ring for VIPs task" to track the original state of Silent Mode, otherwise Tasker won't know if it should re-enable it upon exit.
    Last edited by bitseeker; 10-12-2012 at 08:05 PM.
    Thanked by:
  19. #19  
    bitseeker's Avatar

    Posts
    49 Posts
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts

    Default Re: Tasker

    Quote Originally Posted by bas.androiddev View Post
    Some of the things I'd like to automate when I get in my car:
    ...
    - N7 detects it is connected to an AC power source (and I'm in my car? havent figured this one out yet)
    ...
    bas,

    How about putting an NFC tag on your car mount? Then the N7 will know it's in the car.
  20. #20  
    eking3030's Avatar

    Posts
    4 Posts
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts

    Default Re: Tasker

    thanks for the help, I will try it tomorrow when I have time. That set up is a little different than the one in tasker wiki so I hope it will work. Just want to make sure that this will work for an un-rooted phone.
  21. #21  
    bitseeker's Avatar

    Posts
    49 Posts
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts

    Default Re: Tasker

    Quote Originally Posted by eking3030 View Post
    Just want to make sure that this will work for an un-rooted phone.
    Most things in Tasker work without the need for root.
  22. #22  
    eking3030's Avatar

    Posts
    4 Posts
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts

    Default Re: Tasker

    Well, I still can not get get my starred contacts to ring. Do you think it is because I use a 3rd party contacts app. I do have the contacts I want starred though. My sleep mode works based on time or plug in. I also noticed if I have the ringer volume set to 1 in a different sleep profile it will start out low and then get loud. For some reason Tasker is not controlling the phones functions.
    Quote Originally Posted by bitseeker View Post
    Here ya go, Eking.

    • Event = Call, Type = Incoming, Number = C:FAV
    • Enter Task (step 1) = Silent Mode, Mode = Off, If = %SilentNight Is Set
    • Exit Task (step 1) = Wait, MS = 0, Seconds = 0, Minutes = 1, Hours = 0, Days = 0
    • Exit Task (step 2) = Silent Mode, Mode = On, If = %SilentNight Is Set


    The phone number C:FAV matches all contacts that are marked as favorites (starred) in your address book.

    The wait time in exit task step 1 gives the phone time to ring as well as generate any notification sound if a voicemail or text message follows the call. You can increase it if you like (e.g., if your phone rings longer before going to voicemail).

    A separate event turns on/off silent mode based on a calendar item (e.g., from midnight to 6 am), sets %SilentNight to 1 during that time and clears it afterward. The %SilentNight variable is needed by the "ring for VIPs task" to track the original state of Silent Mode, otherwise Tasker won't know if it should re-enable it upon exit.
  23. #23  
    bitseeker's Avatar

    Posts
    49 Posts
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts

    Default Re: Tasker

    Very interesting eking. Many variables to consider. You may want to minimize the number of things controlling your phone in order to make it easier to debug. It could very well be conflicting apps vying for the phone's attention. I've even accidentally had tasks fight over what should happen at a given time or for a given event. So, simplify the situation by disabling the other apps and verify that Tasker, by itself, is doing what you expect.
  24. #24  
    eking3030's Avatar

    Posts
    4 Posts
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts

    Default Re: Tasker

    I deleted the phone dialer/contact app and it works! Thanks for your help bitseeker. Do you know of any contact app that lists company name in the contact title that might play well with tasker.
    Quote Originally Posted by bitseeker View Post
    Very interesting eking. Many variables to consider. You may want to minimize the number of things controlling your phone in order to make it easier to debug. It could very well be conflicting apps vying for the phone's attention. I've even accidentally had tasks fight over what should happen at a given time or for a given event. So, simplify the situation by disabling the other apps and verify that Tasker, by itself, is doing what you expect.
  25. #25  
    bitseeker's Avatar

    Posts
    49 Posts
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts

    Default Re: Tasker

    Quote Originally Posted by eking3030 View Post
    I deleted the phone dialer/contact app and it works! Thanks for your help bitseeker. Do you know of any contact app that lists company name in the contact title that might play well with tasker.
    Yay! Glad that worked. I use the default contact app, so I'm not sure if any others work well with Tasker. If you find a compatible one, let us know in this thread.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Anyone using Tasker? Have any tips?
    By braj in forum Android Applications
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-15-2011, 04:51 PM
  2. Tasker Profiles Request
    By mhorn in forum Android Applications
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-18-2011, 08:10 AM
  3. Anyone use Tasker?
    By JoshH in forum Android Applications
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-09-2010, 07:13 PM
  4. Using Tasker to change A2DP Bluetooth settings?
    By CouchFisher in forum Android Applications
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-26-2010, 06:35 AM
  5. Tasker has been released to market
    By azjerry in forum Android Applications
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-05-2010, 08:10 AM

Posting Permissions

B