Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    84 Global Posts

Default Text Messaging with Nexus 7

I'm attempting to figure out a way to receive and send text messages on my Nexus 7. Is it possible to have the text messages that come in on my cell phone (iPhone...not android) forwarded to the Nexus 7? I saw some apps such as TabletTalk that only work with android phones. Is there anything that will work with an iPhone?

What about using google voice for texting? I have a google voice # that I have never done anything with lol. Can I somehow link that to my cell phone and text thru the google voice app? Any help or ideas are much appreciated!! Thanks.

Carrier
    Xperion

Default Re: Text Messaging with Nexus 7

You could set up your cell to forward to your Google Voice number. That works for me...

Thus he spake

Global Posts
    536 Global Posts

I have the same setup as you: Nexus 7 + iPhone. To my knowledge there isn't a cross-platform version of Tablet Talk, sadly.

But what is do is use Google Voice which works a treat. I have it installed on both my iPhone & N7 but prefer the larger screen of the N7 for everything including texting.

If anyone knows of a cross-platform solution other than Google Voice please post it. :thumbup:

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    84 Global Posts

Ok I guess I finally should look at what this google voice thing is all about? Can you give me a little more instruction on how you set it up?

I have my Verizon cell # and also a Google Voice # so if i'm understanding this correctly somehow I need to set the verizon # to forward to the google voice so the texts will go to the google voice app? Will that screw up my regular Verizon # for phone calling and texting? (sorry this is all new to me...only had my Nexus 7 for like 1.5 weeks)

Global Posts
    536 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jmaudi0 View Post
    What about using google voice for texting? I have a google voice # that I have never done anything with lol. Can I somehow link that to my cell phone and text thru the google voice app? Any help or ideas are much appreciated!! Thanks.
    Yes, you most certainly CAN use GV for texting. Simply log into you GV account and connect you cellphone number to you GV account/number. Use the GV number to send & receive texts (and calls if you want). Make sure to tick the box that says "receive text on this number" when you register your cell number with GV.

Good luck.

I don't know all the details but this is best I can off my head from things I have read and what I have tried myself using my dumb feature phone. Just be aware of one thing, be careful with your choices on the setup. You have to pay if you change your google voice number. I think there may be some option(s) that will take your verizion number and bring it to google but it will effectively cancel your phone contract and verizion will charge you a cancel fee and/or create a new number at verizion. You still have to think of everything as forwarding and being masked behind GV you cant technically have the same number on GV as your cell phone plan.

http://lifehacker.com/5316921/how-to...y-mobile-phone
    "First, log into Google Voice and configure it to forward text messages to your cell phone. When someone sends a text message to your Google Voice number, you'll receive the text on your phone–but not from the recipient's phone number. Instead, it will be a 406 number you've never seen before, with the person's name preceding the message (as pictured here). Add that number to your recipient's address book entry [on your phone] as "Other" or a custom label (like "GV SMS"). Each one of your text recipients will have a different 406 number.

From there on in, if you SMS that 406 number [from your phone], your recipient will receive text messages from you—and it will look like they're coming from your Google Voice number."

Can I send and/or receive text messages on my nexus 7 without using a cell phone in any way?

Looking forward to help. Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by New-N7 View Post
    Can I send and/or receive text messages on my nexus 7 without using a cell phone in any way?
    Yes, use Google Voice.

New-N7 likes this.

There's also an app called text plus. It gives your tablet it's own phone number to text from. I tried it when I used a Kindle Fire. It worked, but I didn't like the idea of another number that no one would know. If you can't find anything else, that would be an option, too.

New-N7 likes this.
    Zee

Global Posts
    657 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by djs71a View Post
    Yes, use Google Voice.

Unfortunately Canadians are out of luck with regards to Google voice for now.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Quote Originally Posted by mzanette View Post
    Unfortunately Canadians are out of luck with regards to Google voice for now.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    I'm from Canada and use Text +. It gives you a local number, which is good.
    Try it.

Sent from my Google Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    New-N7 likes this.