Results 1 to 7 of 7
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By johnwccres
  • 2 Post By rootbrain
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Exclamation How I solved my Sleep of Death/Hard Boot problem

    Not sure if anyone is still following my other thread, but i figured out that the cause of the SOD in my case was using Antivirus software. I thought it was Lookout so i replaced it with a different antivirus (Zoner) and still got SOD. So I uninstalled that and my device has been waking up normally ever since. I was getting SOD's pretty much daily so i'm fairly certain that antivirus was causing the issue. Not sure if all antivirus apps cause SOD but i would definitely recommend staying away from Lookout and Zoner. If you don't have an antivirus app installed, I would look for any app that is set to start up on boot and uninstall it. I hope this helps someone out.


    Note: The issue I'm referring to is when your N7 doesn't wake up unless you hold the power button for 20 seconds. Also this is just speculation, so don't get your jimmies rustled if you're still getting SOD afterwards
  2. #2  

    Default Re: How I solved my Sleep of Death/Hard Boot problem

    I'm using Avast antvirus with no SOD problems since I installed a month ago.
  3. #3  

    Default Re: How I solved my Sleep of Death/Hard Boot problem

    I'm using the free version of Lookout and haven't seen this problem.
    Champion1229 likes this.
  4. #4  
    Ryuuie's Avatar

    Posts
    415 Posts
    Global Posts
    414 Global Posts

    Default Re: How I solved my Sleep of Death/Hard Boot problem

    Just gonna like put this out there: You really don't need an antivirus for your Android tablet.

    Seriously.

    Unless you don't read permissions from apps and you install apps from shady places (usually from China or Russia or whatnot), then you do not need an antivirus app on your phone.

    If you stick to the Google Play Store, you're fine. However, if you DO install something that strikes you as suspicious, just uninstall it. Problem solved.

    If you don't have it on your machine, it can't do anything.

    It's not like a Windows machine where you REALLY need an antivirus and a firewall. Android is not like that. It's based on Linux so it's somewhat secure however you do still have to worry about apps with weird permissions.

    If a camera app is asking for your phone number, don't install it.
    If a game is asking for access to your phone number or contact list or camera, then don't install it UNLESS they give a good reason.

    Read those permission lists and you will NOT need any antivirus. They're not like those "battery saving" apps that ultimately break things in the OS, but they're simply not needed.

    However, if you want something to track your phone, that's fine. But antivirus is just something being sold to you to get more money out of your pocket (yes, you can get Lookout for free, but it's still taking up space and RAM on your device you don't need taken up).
    Thanked by:
  5. #5  

    Default Re: How I solved my Sleep of Death/Hard Boot problem

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryuuie View Post
    Just gonna like put this out there: You really don't need an antivirus for your Android tablet.

    Seriously.

    Unless you don't read permissions from apps and you install apps from shady places (usually from China or Russia or whatnot), then you do not need an antivirus app on your phone.

    If you stick to the Google Play Store, you're fine. However, if you DO install something that strikes you as suspicious, just uninstall it. Problem solved.

    If you don't have it on your machine, it can't do anything.

    It's not like a Windows machine where you REALLY need an antivirus and a firewall. Android is not like that. It's based on Linux so it's somewhat secure however you do still have to worry about apps with weird permissions.

    If a camera app is asking for your phone number, don't install it.
    If a game is asking for access to your phone number or contact list or camera, then don't install it UNLESS they give a good reason.

    Read those permission lists and you will NOT need any antivirus. They're not like those "battery saving" apps that ultimately break things in the OS, but they're simply not needed.

    However, if you want something to track your phone, that's fine. But antivirus is just something being sold to you to get more money out of your pocket (yes, you can get Lookout for free, but it's still taking up space and RAM on your device you don't need taken up).
    Seriously. If you listen to this advice you are looking for trouble. This is the same mantra spouted by Apple iFans for years. It's a "windows" problem. You won't find many Apple users saying that now. Your device is an open window and there are those people "out there" that are just looking to gain access and steal your "valuables". Userids, passwords, other personal information.

    Anti-virus/malware/adware/spyware security programs are a must with any mobile device, especially since you will be connecting to open wifi networks where ever you can. There are people today setting up multiple "free open wifi" for the simple reason of spying and stealing information from those that use it. Credit card information, SSNs, account credentials are all at risk. I use Avast, like another poster above and have never had this SOD issue. And Avast has saved me multiple times from downloading and using programs from Googles own play store that would put my device at risk.

    Read, research, Google it. There are plenty of reasons to use security/AV software. Read some reviews and find a different solution if you think those programs are the culprit for you. But don't go blindly into the storm.
    Maxwell was the 1st "Smart" phone user......
    KlineAJ and ChromeJob like this.
  6. #6  
    Ryuuie's Avatar

    Posts
    415 Posts
    Global Posts
    414 Global Posts

    Default Re: How I solved my Sleep of Death/Hard Boot problem

    Quote Originally Posted by rootbrain View Post
    Seriously. If you listen to this advice you are looking for trouble. This is the same mantra spouted by Apple iFans for years. It's a "windows" problem. You won't find many Apple users saying that now. Your device is an open window and there are those people "out there" that are just looking to gain access and steal your "valuables". Userids, passwords, other personal information.

    Anti-virus/malware/adware/spyware security programs are a must with any mobile device, especially since you will be connecting to open wifi networks where ever you can. There are people today setting up multiple "free open wifi" for the simple reason of spying and stealing information from those that use it. Credit card information, SSNs, account credentials are all at risk. I use Avast, like another poster above and have never had this SOD issue. And Avast has saved me multiple times from downloading and using programs from Googles own play store that would put my device at risk.

    Read, research, Google it. There are plenty of reasons to use security/AV software. Read some reviews and find a different solution if you think those programs are the culprit for you. But don't go blindly into the storm.
    Yes, this information would be relevant to Windows devices (of which I use a lot of). The Android platform is based on Linux for one and for two most viruses are written to infect Windows devices.

    Honestly, just read this article if you don't believe me:


    It was written by Chris DiBona who works at Google as the Open Source Programs Manager.

    A couple of quotes:

    Yes, virus companies are playing on your fears to try to sell you bs protection software for Android, RIM and IOS. They are charlatans and scammers. IF you work for a company selling virus protection for android, rim or IOS you should be ashamed of yourself.

    Yes, a virus of the traditional kind is possible, but not probable. The barriers to spreading such a program from phone to phone are large and difficult enough to traverse when you have legitimate access to the phone, but this isn't independence day, a virus that might work on one device won't magically spread to the other. (and yes, I saw the deleted scene )

    If you read an analyst report about 'viruses' infecting ios, android or rim, you now know that analyst firm is not honest and is staffed with charlatans. There is probably an exception, but extraordinary claims need extraordinary evidence.

    If you read a report from a vendor that trys to sell you something based on protecting android, rim or ios from viruses they are also likely as not to be scammers and charlatans.
    To put it simply, no OS is 100% secure, but Android is much more secure than you think. You still seem to be thinking in Windows-mode.

    You simply DO NOT need an antivirus on your Android phone. You are wasting your money if you paid for it and you're wasting your time if you didn't.

    If you believe all of those analysts that claim that Android is some type of infested mess, why are you here?
  7. #7  

    Default Re: How I solved my Sleep of Death/Hard Boot problem

    Quote Originally Posted by johnwccres View Post
    I'm using the free version of Lookout and haven't seen this problem.
    +1 on this.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Similar Threads

  1. Should I return my Nexus 7? (Sleep of Death)
    By K9337 in forum Google Nexus 7 Tablet (2012)
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 12-16-2012, 03:54 PM
  2. Trouble With Sleep of Death on EB01/SuperClean 2.x?
    By Adrynalyne in forum Verizon Fascinate Rooting, ROMs, and Hacks
    Replies: 203
    Last Post: 10-19-2011, 07:59 PM
  3. Sleep of death
    By EvoRoy in forum Sprint Photon
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 10-05-2011, 09:16 PM
  4. Sleep of death
    By kba712 in forum AT&T ATRIX
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-09-2011, 12:04 PM
  5. sleep of death
    By texaskj07 in forum Verizon Fascinate Rooting, ROMs, and Hacks
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-28-2011, 09:43 AM

Posting Permissions

B