question about downloading programs from the internet

jenlen65

May 12, 2012
Visit site
I've only had my N7 for one day and its my first tablet so please forgive my ignorance. I downloaded a program online but apparently I can't open an executable file on this tablet?? Or am I doing it wrong. I did NOT get it from the app store. Any thoughts?

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
You can freely install apps that aren't from the Play Store, but they have to be apk's not exe files. You also have to check the option to install apps from unknown sources, under Security settings. :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

a1kemist

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Make sure you get it from a reputable source. Android app as an exe just raises flags. Android packages are in APK format. Exe is for windows.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I've only had my N7 for one day and its my first tablet so please forgive my ignorance. I downloaded a program online but apparently I can't open an executable file on this tablet?? Or am I doing it wrong. I did NOT get it from the app store. Any thoughts?
can you link to what you downloaded?? when u say executable it means [somefilename].exe which will only run on PC/laptops running windows operating system.
Android is different like any phone OS. .exe in windows is .apk in android. if you are looking for some app let us know so that you can download the right app.

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I want to download a YouTube video downloaded but there are none in the app store. Are there any made for tablets?

YouTube is built in and requires no additional download.

"Buy" the free NEXUS 7 GUIDEBOOK in the Play Books store and read, read, read.

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, no kidding. I never know if it's someone foreign who is struggling with English, someone foreign using an online translator (which is bungling the job), or someone who just doesn't know or care about proper grammar and spelling. Not trying to insult the OP, but I suspect some don't realize that if it's really hard to understand the question, a lot of those with the answer won't expend time trying to understand the question. Not for free, that is.

henywatty

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, no kidding. I never know if it's someone foreign who is struggling with English, someone foreign using an online translator (which is bungling the job), or someone who just doesn't know or care about proper grammar and spelling. Not trying to insult the OP, but I suspect some don't realize that if it's really hard to understand the question, a lot of those with the answer won't expend time trying to understand the question. Not for free, that is.

Maybe they weren't just ignorant about how the N7 works!

Sent from my Nexus 7 running Android Jelly Bean 4.1.2

a1kemist

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Not trying to play grammar police but it makes it much more difficult to understand, especially if the OP doesn't bother to come back and check their thread.

While yes, it probably was a typo but everyone reading is left to speculation.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
As mentioned you'll need Amazon app store. Then go in there and DL tubemate
Gee people I'm not an idiot. What I'm trying to find is an app that let's me keep the YouTube video, not just watch it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2