Broken Auto Brightness After 4.1.2 Update?

dsf7

Aug 13, 2012
Visit site
Am I remembering wrong? I thought I remembered that in the past the brightness function of my N7 would go both up and down automatically. I did the update to 4.1.2 this afternoon and the auto brightness function will automatically increase the screen's brightness as the ambient light level increases but it will never automatically dim the screen brightness. If I start the tablet in a dim room and then move it under a bright lamp, the screen will brighten up just fine but it does not ever dim the screen. If I use the power button to turn the tablet on and off, it will start again with the correct lower brightness but once it increases the brightness under bright light, it still will not ever dim the screen. Same thing if the sleep timer kicks in and puts the tablet to sleep.

I have done the full shutdown (hold power button, choose power off) and that has not helped. I have done the cold boot restart and that has not helped.

retsaw

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
It may be your memory. For my Nexus 7 at least, I've never noticed it dimming automatically, maybe it would after a while and I don't notice, but it certainly doesn't dim quickly. I haven't got the update yet, so I'm still on 4.1.1.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
U r remembering wrong. It will brighten under bright light but doesn't immediately dim in darkness

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Dimming works fine for me, before and after. Install the Power Control widget on the home screen and make sure the brightness button has an A on it.

Edit: my bad, i just tested with my bedside lamp. When it brightens in "A" mode, it doesn't immediately dim. Sleeping and awakening it set it back down. I seem to recall similar behavior before the update.

Last edited:

DoUdAr

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
Am I remembering wrong? I thought I remembered that in the past the brightness function of my N7 would go both up and down automatically. I did the update to 4.1.2 this afternoon and the auto brightness function will automatically increase the screen's brightness as the ambient light level increases but it will never automatically dim the screen brightness. If I start the tablet in a dim room and then move it under a bright lamp, the screen will brighten up just fine but it does not ever dim the screen. If I use the power button to turn the tablet on and off, it will start again with the correct lower brightness but once it increases the brightness under bright light, it still will not ever dim the screen. Same thing if the sleep timer kicks in and puts the tablet to sleep.

I have done the full shutdown (hold power button, choose power off) and that has not helped. I have done the cold boot restart and that has not helped.

i have the same issue on my Galaxy Note II also using 4.1.2 and i never had that issue with 4.1.1

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol