Alternative Home Launchers for Nexus 7?

henywatty

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
Don't get me wrong, I like the stock launcher (especially now that it has landscape mode), but I was wondering if anyone had any launcher they would recommend?

An added bonus would be if you could post a link for a free apk download should it cost!

Sent from my Nexus 7 running Android Jelly Bean 4.1.2

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Don't get me wrong, I like the stock launcher (especially now that it has landscape mode), but I was wondering if anyone had any launcher they would recommend?

An added bonus would be if you could post a link for a free apk download should it cost!

For more traditional launchers, I prefer Nova. For the unorthodox, I dig Chameleon.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

balus3u

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
I have tried nova and go launcher.out of that I think nova is really a good launcher as I didn't experienced any lag and there is lots of customization options.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

MJKearney

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site

I use Nova and like it, but then again it's the only alternative I've used. I'd suggest simply downloading various types and seeing what you like.

As for your bonus request for posting a link for a free apk instead of paying for it, this sounds like you're looking for pirated versions. Besides the whole not legal, not ethical issues, I have no doubt this violates forum rules. I'd recommend not making similar requests in the future.

henywatty

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
I use Nova and like it, but then again it's the only alternative I've used. I'd suggest simply downloading various types and seeing what you like.

As for your bonus request for posting a link for a free apk instead of paying for it, this sounds like you're looking for pirated versions. Besides the whole not legal, not ethical issues, I have no doubt this violates forum rules. I'd recommend not making similar requests in the future.

That would be why there are whole threads dedicated to rooting, hacking, and modifying.

MJKearney

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
That would be why there are whole threads dedicated to rooting, hacking, and modifying.
I'm not sure I understand your point. Rooting, hacking and modifying free open source Android is different than trying to download a paid app for free.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

None of those are illegal, at least with regards to rooting and general hackery like unlocking. Don't confuse the breach of a private warranty between two parties with the violation of state and federal laws. :)

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure I understand your point. Rooting, hacking and modifying free open source Android is different than trying to download a paid app for free.

This. Apples to Oranges. No similarity, legally, mechanically, or otherwise.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
surprised no one recommended Apex launcher.

as far as the free apk, ethics etc etc. these launchers are free in market with additional feature for a price.

I am totally against pirating apps and would recommend not to do it. I think the free version would work for most of your needs.

a1kemist

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Go launcher Ex is completely free, it can be found in the play store. I used it on my KF and KFHD. It was alright but I'm fine with my stockish launcher on the rom I'm running.

henywatty

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
Well thanks everyone. I'm sorry I was unaware of the situation in regards to certain apk downloads and whether they were il/legal. Thanks for all the recommendations, they will be downloaded from the play store alone.

mr_nobody

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Go launcher Ex is completely free, it can be found in the play store. I used it on my KF and KFHD. It was alright but I'm fine with my stockish launcher on the rom I'm running.

Go launcher ex is great and there are a ton of themes but it is not really optimized for tablets. There is a go launcher hd (also free) and it is quite nice but there are only a few themes for it so...

I am currently using apex (free version) after using nova (paid version) for a while.

Caldera

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
surprised no one recommended Apex launcher.

as far as the free apk, ethics etc etc. these launchers are free in market with additional feature for a price.

I am totally against pirating apps and would recommend not to do it. I think the free version would work for most of your needs.

I agree with this. I have used Apex since before it launched in the Play store. I upgraded to support the developer, but I would still be perfectly happy with the free version.

armeddroid

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
Nova Launcher Prime.
To those who use Apex. What's up with those grids? They seem out of wack.
I wanna try Apex but it seems wonky.
Is there a certain setup?

-NX-7-

mr_nobody

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Never noticed anything funny about the apex grids but then again, my single home screen is pretty much empty other than the dock. In addition to changing the grid size you can also adjust margins so maybe that's what you would want to play with?

As to switching launchers, I just generally go and clear the defaults for the current launcher when I want to play with a new one. Once defaults are cleared, hitting the home button will bring up a dialogue giving a choice of launchers and whether to always use your choice.